Random News Items

Rich

A very long read from the BBC but worth it:

A huge contingent of the engineers who made up Nasa's Space Task Group were from Avro, and they laid the foundation for Nasa’s Spaceflight Center,” says Amy Shira Teitel. “Canadians are way too modest to say I did it, but a lot of the people who made the critical decisions in the Apollo-era were Canadian.

“I think getting to the Moon without those brains would have looked very different.”

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200615-the-record-breaking-jet-which-still-haunts-a-country

I missed this story from last September:

Pronghorn Sighting A First In Over A Hundred Years

Published: Saturday, 21 September 2019 12:00
 Written by Ryan Funk

Many have spotted a rarity here in Southern Manitoba, a one in a million sighting of a pronghorn.

Pronghorns are ungulates (mammals with hooves) that spread across Western and Central North America. Here in Canada, their primary range is southwestern Saskatchewan, southeastern Alberta, and occasionally southwestern Manitoba.

The first sightings of a potentially individual male were in mid-June by Kaleida south of Manitou, the latest sightings were in the same area as of September fifth.

Although not confirmed as the same individual a pronghorn was also spotted north of Winkler.

According to Derek Bobbie Conservation Officer and Manitou District Supervisor, when speaking to farmers in the area, it's been over a hundred years since the last pronghorn sighting in the region.

https://discoverwestman.com/local/pronghorn-sighting-a-first-in-over-a-hundred-years

34 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, which takes place every year in Coney Island on the Fourth of July, has announced it will go on as planned this year, but without fans due to the coronavirus pandemic https://cnn.it/3e9Eu6S

The greatest and most dominate professional athlete in history of athletics once again gets to reign supreme on the 4th of July at the corner of Stillwell and Surf. 

CBC News Alert

Toronto landlords for Blue Jays player Rowdy Tellez and coach Mark Budzinski say they’re owed thousands of dollars in rent. Both men say since the pandemic has suspended the MLB season and because they live in U.S. they shouldn't have to pay Toronto rent.

👁‍🗨 This doesn’t seem right to me.

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

CBC News Alert

Toronto landlords for Blue Jays player Rowdy Tellez and coach Mark Budzinski say they’re owed thousands of dollars in rent. Both men say since the pandemic has suspended the MLB season and because they live in U.S. they shouldn't have to pay Toronto rent.

👁‍🗨 This doesn’t seem right to me.

On multiple levels.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The argument will be it's always been 50. The counter argument will be there are no signs saying 50 max and in a city that is sign crazy...

If they cared about safety they would have done something to improve it with all that evidence. 

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

If they cared about safety they would have done something to improve it with all that evidence. 

As said before... studies have been done and proven that a longer amber light reduces collisions at busy intersections.  It also unfortunately reduces the amount of red light tickets that are given..... so if it's all about safety....