Random News Items

Rich

Sgt. Fired for Hiding During Parkland Massacre Gets Job Back
REINSTATED

Published May. 13, 2020 10:12PM ET 

Jonathan Drake/Reuters
A police sergeant who was fired for “neglect of duty” after revelations he hid behind his car during the Parkland massacre is getting his job back, along with his seniority and lost pay. The Miami Herald reports that Sr. Brian Miller appealed his termination and won an arbitration ruling

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-tesla-batteries-exclusive/exclusive-teslas-secret-batteries-aim-to-rework-the-math-for-electric-cars-and-the-grid-idUSKBN22Q1WC

Electric car maker Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) plans to introduce a new low-cost, long-life battery in its Model 3 sedan in China later this year or early next that it expects will bring the cost of electric vehicles in line with gasoline models, and allow EV batteries to have second and third lives in the electric power grid.

For months, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has been teasing investors, and rivals, with promises to reveal significant advances in battery technology during a “Battery Day” in late May.

New, low-cost batteries designed to last for a million miles of use and enable electric Teslas to sell profitably for the same price or less than a gasoline vehicle are just part of Musk’s agenda, people familiar with the plans told Reuters.

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

He better do something as he's losing market share.  But I would have Tesla on my list of next new vehicle I buy....I probably couldnt afford it but I'd take a long look at the Model X if its performance was appropriate in our climate.  Bring that price down to equivalence of other similar SUV's?  Take a long look for sure.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He better do something as he's losing market share.  But I would have Tesla on my list of next new vehicle I buy....I probably couldnt afford it but I'd take a long look at the Model X if its performance was appropriate in our climate.  Bring that price down to equivalence of other similar SUV's?  Take a long look for sure.

Model X is way too expensive.   Model Y is their smaller crossover SUV equivalent and built on the Model 3 platform.  Still starts at $75k but better than $120k of the Model X.

They are an intriguing car to buy, but still too expensive for most.  I know the batteries aren't necessarily equivalent, but seeing how my phone battery degrades over time makes me leery of considering used.

Remarkable - 
1) "In any individual instance you're going to see people doing things that are irresponsible, that's part of the freedom we have here in America." HHS Secretary Alex Azar reacts to some Americans not following federal guidance to wear a mask and social distance #CNNSOTU
2) the Leafs and Raptors have raised ticket prices for next season, assuming there is a next season. Who can afford more today than they could yesterday? - Toronto Sun
3) When, and if NHL hockey resumes, the players agree that they want to play for the Stanley Cup. (Basically no playoff money)
👁‍🗨MLB has a hard time arranging an agreement because players don’t really want to settle on getting paid around 25% of total wages for half a season..because there will be no fans. That translates into hundreds of thousands of $$ instead of millions for them.
MLB says it will lose $640K per game if players are paid prorated salaries. MORE: tsn.ca/1.1476604
4) Thailand reopens shopping malls with masks, temperature scans and robot dogs offering hand sanitizers. - CBC News
5) Spain records 87 deaths in the past 24 hours - the first drop under 100 since the lockdown began - BBC News
6) Texas reports its largest single-day number of positive Covid-19 cases since the beginning of pandemic cnn.it/3dVLSlA
7) The Chinese consulate in Calgary is hitting back against Alberta Premier Jason Kenney after he sharply criticized the country's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
CBC.ca
😎 Toronto Mayor John Tory: ‘I would not say no’ for chance of live sports in September 3downnation.com/2020/05/16/tor… via @3DownNation 
9) HHS Secretary Alex Azar says that the high number coronavirus mortalities in the United States is due to "greater risk profiles," in certain communities and says the American response to the virus has been "historic" #CNNSOTU
10) Watching President Obama’s graduation address tonight I think I finally understand Obamagate. It’s the scandal of having a president being able to speak with empathy, humor, insight, inspiration and in complete and coherent sentences. - Dan Rather

It’s nice the nhl players are willing to play the playoffs where they don’t get paid a salary (they get a bonus for winning though I believe). But easier decision when they received all their pay for the season except their final cheque and that was a debate.  The issue being they may lose most of it in escrow since league revenue bottomed out at the end.  

I’m sure they’re all bored out of their minds and dying to play too.  Next season will be tough with virtually no break from playoffs to new season.  Makes next years playoffs a very long season. 

The solution to that is very easy, in that they could release a schedule with way less games involving way less travel and way more rest for the players. 
That way, they could ease into a 2021 schedule with a much better chance of normalcy.

But, I don’t know, sports leagues sure love their money...

1) May 18, 2020 at 9:03 p.m. EDT
President Trump on Monday declared that the United States had “never really fought to win” in Afghanistan, except early in the nearly two-decade-long war, making a sweeping statement about military efforts as thousands of U.S. troops continue to serve, and sometimes die, in counterinsurgent operations there. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/for-most-of-afghanistan-war-america-never-really-fought-to-win-trump-declares/2020/05/18/9ab85afa-992c-11ea-b60c-3be060a4f8e1_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
2) BBC News - "I'm taking it for about a week and a half now and I'm still here, I'm still here" 
US President Donald Trump says he has started to take malaria medication to ward off coronavirus
👁‍🗨 Fact or misdirection? More and more are calling this a falsehood.
3) As a result of the publicity given to these drugs there has been a global surge in demand for them
In late March, there was a sharp increase reported in prescriptions in the US for both chloroquine and hydrochloroquine, although demand has since declined
bbc.in/CoronavirusCh
4) Trump threatens permanent freeze of WHO funding, review of U.S. membership
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/who-trump-funding-1.5574930
5) Trump today admitted that he fired the State Department Inspector General because the Secretary of State asked him to amid an active investigation into said Secretary of State -- and it's barely a blip on the news radar - Aaron Rupar
6) .@FoxNews is no longer the same. We miss the great Roger Ailes. You have more anti-Trump people, by far, than ever before. Looking for a new outlet! - D. Trump

Ford says Trump will be required to wear a mask in its Ypsilanti plant on Thursday — something he hasn’t done on other recent plant tours. - Geoff Bennett

👁‍🗨 Can’t wait till Thursday. Ford Motor Co. will vs. The Presidential “Edsel”.

Let’s face it, anything to cover that image is fine by me.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Ford says Trump will be required to wear a mask in its Ypsilanti plant on Thursday — something he hasn’t done on other recent plant tours. - Geoff Bennett

👁‍🗨 Can’t wait till Thursday. Ford Motor Co. will vs. The Presidential “Edsel”.

Let’s face it, anything to cover that image is fine by me.

I wonder if there is any chance that, while he is at the auto plant,  Trump could be stuffed into a trunk of a car that is subsequently dumped into the Detroit River.

1) "Just a rude person you are" -- Trump snaps at a female reporter who had the gall to ask him why he hasn't yet announced a plan to get Americans safely back to work
2) Press Sec. Kayleigh McEnany: "If it were any other President of the United States, the media would take him at his word." 
👁‍🗨 But isn’t that the point Kayleigh ie. it’s BECAUSE it’s this President, is the reason why the media won’t take him at his word.
3) President Trump says he is considering a travel ban on Latin America and called the high number of US Covid-19 cases a “badge of honor” because it means the US is testing more people cnn.it/3bMR6Pt                         
👁‍🗨 SMH
4) A man in a Hamilton, Ontario retirement home was left behind when the building was emptied due to a coronavirus outbreak. The man wasn't located until a day later, after his family insisted to officials that the man must have been left behind. - CBC News Alerts
5) 👁‍🗨 not making this up:
Trump campaign texts supporters a few min ago: “Pres Trump set aside a LIMITED EDITION TRUMP COLORING BOOK just for you, friend! 900 just sold in 5 minutes! Don't wait. Claim yours NOW” - Asawin Suebsaeng
👁‍🗨 my question is - does it come with only one colour? Orange?
6) One Russian paper today accuses officials of “making up coronavirus statistics to end the lockdown.” Another says “bureaucrats are motivated to lie to avoid the wrath of their bosses.”
👁‍🗨 Ha! Sound familiar?

7) Trump is having one of his cabinet meetings where everyone gets a turn to kiss up. Here's Pence slathering praise on him for "unprecedented action" & having "no higher priority than the safety & security of the American people" (He also lies about Trump banning travel from China)
👁‍🗨 And they say Burger King has the only Big Whopper..

"Tweeting more frequently than is humanly possible or appearing to be in one country and then another a few hours later is indicative of a bot," Carley said.
Carnegie Mellon University researchers have discovered that much of the discussion around the pandemic and stay-at-home orders is being fueled by misinformation campaigns that use convincing bots.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-half-twitter-accounts-discussing-‘reopening-america’-may-be-bots