Random News Items

Rich

On 2020-01-30 at 12:01 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

Canada was ranked 12th in the world last year.

I have a problem with transparency International:

If you look at their definition of corruption, you realize that they rank USA incorrectly, giving them far more credit than they are due; they put it within ten points of Canada.

Grand corruption consists of acts committed at a high level of government that distort policies or the central functioning of the state, enabling leaders to benefit at the expense of the public good

By that defintion the USA is absolutely wallowing in corruption.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A good time to remind people that the cities policy on speed enforcement and school zones is not remotely about safety.  It’s about money.  The last thing they want you to do is abide the speed limit. 

Also when the wise up guys park or picket with signs saying slow down photo radar ahead.... they always tend to get in trouble for doing this. 

Same goes when study after study shows that extending the yellow light considerably cuts down on accidents and people running the red lights.... 

From what I read on reddit,  he had asked her to please not recline her seat during dinner.   She obliged and once dinner was done she reclined again.   

I don't think punching her seat was appropriate at all.  That being said full reclining on a plane is a ****** move by the lady.    

In this instance I'd say he's in the wrong.   I'm assuming also that he didn't ask for a different seat. 

Yeah I get his annoyance but he behaved like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum.  If he wanted space the entire time, why didn't he ask her that, rather than just asking her not to recline while he ate?

I never recline my seat because I know how I feel when someone in front on me does it.  That being said, there are options available if I want to ensure I have more room (like paying for an upgrade to an emergency row or asking to move to a different seat for example).

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah I get his annoyance but he behaved like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum.  If he wanted space the entire time, why didn't he ask her that, rather than just asking her not to recline while he ate?

I never recline my seat because I know how I feel when someone in front on me does it.  That being said, there are options available if I want to ensure I have more room (like paying for an upgrade to an emergency row or asking to move to a different seat for example).

I upgraded to Premium on a flight a few years ago and now I want it every trip.   Even when its crappy Premium like Westjets planes that havent been renovated, which is most of them since the MAX problems.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I upgraded to Premium on a flight a few years ago and now I want it every trip.   Even when its crappy Premium like Westjets planes that havent been renovated, which is most of them since the MAX problems.

I'll do that depending on the flight... if it's a short flight, like to Regina or Saskatoon, I'll just suck it up and try to pick a seat with nobody in front of me.  Anything longer and I'm considering all my options to have the most comfort possible.

Just now, bigg jay said:

I'll do that depending on the flight... if it's a short flight, like to Regina or Saskatoon, I'll just suck it up and try to pick a seat with nobody in front of me.  Anything longer and I'm considering all my options to have the most comfort possible.

Yeah, I actually paid for the upgrade at time of booking when I went to Vegas last year as I was travelling with the GF and she was a very nervous flyer, so decided to surprise her with a better experience.  Before that, I just tried to upgrade in the 24 hour window for a trip to Mexico.  Got it going down but not coming back...fortunately, had a very tiny person beside me.

I may also not be the norm,  when I hear a crying baby on a flight I don't get mad at all. I feel bad for the parents.   

The *only* thing that grinds my gears on planes is when people get all pushy and inconsiderate when the flight lands and they can't possibly wait a minute for people to clear out and grab overhead suitcases and what not.   

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I may also not be the norm,  when I hear a crying baby on a flight I don't get mad at all. I feel bad for the parents.   

The *only* thing that grinds my gears on planes is when people get all pushy and inconsiderate when the flight lands and they can't possibly wait a minute for people to clear out and grab overhead suitcases and what not.   

Agreed on both counts.  Nobody wants the baby to stop crying more than the parents.  Noise-cancelling headphones are great if you're seated near babies on a flight.

The only exception to the 2nd point is if you are late for a connecting flight, in which case you can talk to the flight attendants and they will sometimes assist with getting you off the plane quicker.

Looks like Peter Nygard is in trouble again.

Peter Nygard, Canadian clothing manufacturer, accused of raping 10 women and girls in class-action lawsuit

24th-night-of-100-stars-oscars-viewing-g

Ten women filed a civil class-action lawsuit on Thursday accusing one of Canada's wealthiest businessmen and clothing manufacturers, Peter Nygard, of raping them at his seaside mansion in the Bahamas and operating what they refer to as a "sex trafficking ring."

The women are seeking damages for the alleged rapes.

Three of the women were 14 years old at the time of the alleged rapes. Three others were 15 years old.

The alleged rapes took place between 2008 and 2015.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/peter-nygard-class-action-lawsuit-1.5463684

Not saying it's right but his brother had the same predilection.

intro-1568643062.jpg