Random News Items

Rich

On 2019-07-30 at 12:13 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

My Aunt spotted them outside Plum Coulee milking a cow.  She's been residing in a "home" for quite a few years.

What a crazy issue this has become. First, all kinds of articles stating they are probably dead, due to wild animals, muskeg, brakish water or a lack of food.  Then, further articles stating the chances of survival are high, there’s plenty of food and fresh water. 

6 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I wonder if Nature did them in

That's my guess. That's harsh terrain to try to survive in without any supplies.

EDIT: Although, on second thought, the fact that they were found together suggests suicide. 

Edited by JCon

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's my guess. That's harsh terrain to try to survive in without any supplies.

EDIT: Although, on second thought, the fact that they were found together suggests suicide. 

or went the way of Chris McCandless- eating poisoned seeds.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/01/403535274/into-the-wild-author-tries-science-to-solve-toxic-seed-mystery

"The plant in question is the Eskimo potato, also known as alpine sweetvetch, or Hedysarum alpinum. The hardy little plant grows across Alaska and northern Canada. McCandless, along with plenty of Alaska natives, had relied on the carrot-like roots as a staple. But Krakauer could find no record of people eating the seeds. The L-canavanine toxin could be why.

"Once the roots became unpalatable in midsummer, the natives did not eat these seeds," Krakauer explains. "So, they knew something that we didn't."

It will be interesting to find out the cause of death, they lasted 8 days but people do not generally starve to death that quickly.  Overnight lows for Gillam at this time of the year are around 10 C, so not likely exposure either.  Police reported a sleeping bag was found tangled in the reeds along the shore line so it looks like they lost critical supplies to the Nelson.

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It will be interesting to find out the cause of death, they lasted 8 days but people do not generally starve to death that quickly.  Overnight lows for Gillam at this time of the year are around 10 C, so not likely exposure either.  Police reported a sleeping bag was found tangled in the reeds along the shore line so it looks like they lost critical supplies to the Nelson.

Did they last eight days? I wonder if a wild animal found them which is why they are confident it's them without being able to confirm it's them. 

23 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Murder/suicide by poisonous plants in a meal...

If a gun was handy, death by poisonous plant would be a really bad choice.

From the looks of the boat they allegedly used they may have been naive enough to think they could  ride the Nelson all the way to Hudson Bay,  but in the end they really had no hope of surviving in that corner of the world.  Flat bottomed boat on a fast flowing river would  be moving about 40 mph with little way to slow it down.

AwesomeScreenshot-twitter-rcmpmb-2019-08

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

25 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If a gun was handy, death by poisonous plant would be a really bad choice.

From the looks of the boat they allegedly used they may have been naive enough to think they could  ride the Nelson all the way to Hudson Bay,  but in the end they really had no hope of surviving in that corner of the world.  Flat bottomed boat on a fast flowing river would  be moving about 40 mph with little way to slow it down.

AwesomeScreenshot-twitter-rcmpmb-2019-08

I was thinking it was a murder/suicide by the dude not with the gun.