Random News Items

Rich

this could also go in the "good news" thread. Boris Johnson is one of the candidates for PM of Britain.

Boris Johnson is to go on trial for allegedly “lying and misleading the British public” about the consequences of Brexit.

A judge summonsed the Conservative MP to appear in court after a member of the public launched a private prosecution over claims that the cost of EU membership was £350m a week.

Lawyers representing 29-year-old Marcus Ball lodged a private prosecution against Mr Johnson at after he raised more than £200,000 through crowdfunding campaigns.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boris-johnson-trial-brexit-court-lying-prosecution-nhs-vote-leave-a8934451.html?utm_source=reddit.com

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

this could also go in the "good news" thread. Boris Johnson is one of the candidates for PM of Britain.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boris-johnson-trial-brexit-court-lying-prosecution-nhs-vote-leave-a8934451.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Boris is Trump-lite.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

In North Macedonia, there’s a small industry of websites publishing misleading and inflammatory political articles targeted at US readers. Simon Oxenham meets a woman who worked there.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190528-i-was-a-macedonian-fake-news-writer?fbclid=IwAR0_oDrBMrQTFPQOnYbhK492wJu9sLheXem9JEZsGlpqMNofcS-tv7Z79pY

CBC, QX 104 Take Top Spots in Winnipeg’s Radio Wars

Spring 2019 radio ratings

1. CBC Radio One — 14.1 (14.4)
  2. 680 CJOB — 11.3 (11.0)
  3. QX 104 — 8.2 (10.1)
  4. 99.9 BOB FM — 6.7 (5.3)
  5. 103.1 Virgin Radio — 6.3 (7.1)
  6. 94-3 The Drive — 5.8 (5.1)
  7. TSN 1290 — 5.2 (4.9)
  8. 92.1 CITI — 5.1 (4.9)
  9. Power 97 — 4.6 (5.3)
  10. KiSS 102.3 — 4.2 (5.4)
  11. CBC Radio 2 — 3.8 (3.7)
  12. Energy 106 — 3.3 (4.0)
  13. Peggy @ 991 — 2.6 (2.4)
  14. Hot 100.5 — 2.4 (1.3)
  15. Radio-Canada Espace Musique — 0.3 (0.3)

https://www.chrisd.ca/2019/05/30/winnipeg-numeris-spring-2019-radio-ratings/#.XPAglohKiM8

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

1290.... usually if  I turn it on, it's  hockey. also, some golf. a bit of NFL. bit of bombers.

But predominantly... hockey.

For me, this is boring.

That's what I find about most media produced by the 4 major league sports, massive amounts of regurgitation.  I tried to watch an NFL produced video on the top 10 fastest players of all time recently, they had 10 minutes of actual player clips along with 20 minutes of regurgitation and explicating  by various sports commentators, ex-players and other random no-name celebrities.  Such utter bullshlit.

12 hours ago, Wideleft said:

In North Macedonia, there’s a small industry of websites publishing misleading and inflammatory political articles targeted at US readers. Simon Oxenham meets a woman who worked there.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190528-i-was-a-macedonian-fake-news-writer?fbclid=IwAR0_oDrBMrQTFPQOnYbhK492wJu9sLheXem9JEZsGlpqMNofcS-tv7Z79pY

Thanks for that. Very informative article.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

15 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That's what I find about most media produced by the 4 major league sports, massive amounts of regurgitation.  I tried to watch an NFL produced video on the top 10 fastest players of all time recently, they had 10 minutes of actual player clips along with 20 minutes of regurgitation and explicating  by various sports commentators, ex-players and other random no-name celebrities.  Such utter bullshlit.

I guess it was about 15 years ago when one of the Winnipeg AM stations (CFRW?) tried the all-sports format, but all they did was rebroadcast one of the FAN networks out of Toronto.  The NFL to CFL content was probably close to 20:1 in favour of the NFL.  A good chunk of the CFL discussion was wondering why the Ottawa Roughriders failed/were failing (can't remember exactly).  Maybe, just maybe part of the problem was that they didn't actually talk about the CFL.

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

I guess it was about 15 years ago when one of the Winnipeg AM stations (CFRW?) tried the all-sports format, but all they did was rebroadcast one of the FAN networks out of Toronto.  The NFL to CFL content was probably close to 20:1 in favour of the NFL.  A good chunk of the CFL discussion was wondering why the Ottawa Roughriders failed/were failing (can't remember exactly).  Maybe, just maybe part of the problem was that they didn't actually talk about the CFL.

I h8 Westwood but i like their coverage. Course it would help if they were actually were allowed to bid on the radio contract.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I h8 Westwood but i like their coverage. Course it would help if they were actually were allowed to bid on the radio contract.

I actually like Westwood and prefer the 1290 pregame show only because I cannot stand listening to Doug Brown.  If only Brown had some realization that he is nowhere near as good a commentator as he was a player, he wouldn't come across as such an arrogant ass. 

I have the utmost respect for Irving and Tait, though.

June first 1495 – An entry in the Exchequer Rolls of Scotland made the first recorded mention of Scotch whisky.

John Cor is the name of the monk referred to in the first known written reference to a batch of Scotch Whisky on 1 June 1495.

“To Brother John Cor, by order of the King, to make aqua vitae VIII bolls of malt.” — Exchequer Rolls 1494–95, Vol x, p. 487.[1]

Brother John Cor (Johanni Cor/John Kawe) was a Tironensian monk based at Lindores Abbey in Fife.

wikipedia

Edited by Mark F