Random News Items

Rich

Virtual tour offers a peek inside Winnipeg's future Diversity Gardens

Project worth $97.8-million set to open late 2020: Assiniboine Park Conservancy

CBC News

The Assiniboine Park Conservancy is offering a peek into its anticipated conservatory project, with a virtual tour showing what the Diversity Gardens project will look like when it's done.

The development is set to open in late 2020, concluding the final major phase of the redevelopment of Assiniboine Park and Zoo that started in 2009.

The makeover, originally estimated at $200 million, included improvements to the duck pond, the building of the Qualico Centre and the Nature Playground, and the revitalization of the zoo.

The conservatory project will include an indoor conservatory called The Leaf, which will be five times larger and twice as tall as the old conservatory.

The cost estimate for the project has jumped to $97.8 million from the original $75 million, the conservancy said in a news release Monday. The increase is due to multiple factors, including a one-year delay in construction and the overall design complexity of The Leaf, it said.

The conservancy has said the roof of the structure will be made of an extremely lightweight, see-through plastic — ethylene-tetra-fluoro-ethylene — allowing the structure to be an open space without the use of heavy beams and walls.

Construction on the shell started in summer 2017, and installation of the specialized roof is set to start in early fall. If that goes to plan, the biomes inside The Leaf will be planted in summer 2020, the conservancy said.

The roof of the main building, called The Leaf, will be made of light-weight plastic that is translucent and able to withstand extreme temperatures and wind.

Outside, a group of garden spaces will be collectively called the Diversity Gardens. Landscape work started last year, the conservancy said, and opening of the outdoor areas will depend on completion of The Leaf.

So far, the project has secured $79.5 million from all levels of government, private donors and other sources, the conservancy said. That doesn't include newly confirmed dollars from private donors expected to be announced in the coming months, the release added.

"With the ongoing support of our donors and government partners we are looking forward to completing this transformation and the opening of The Leaf and diversity gardens in late 2020," conservancy president Margaret Redmond said in the release.

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Virtual tour offers a peek inside Winnipeg's future Diversity Gardens

Project worth $97.8-million set to open late 2020: Assiniboine Park Conservancy

CBC News

The Assiniboine Park Conservancy is offering a peek into its anticipated conservatory project, with a virtual tour showing what the Diversity Gardens project will look like when it's done.

The development is set to open in late 2020, concluding the final major phase of the redevelopment of Assiniboine Park and Zoo that started in 2009.

The makeover, originally estimated at $200 million, included improvements to the duck pond, the building of the Qualico Centre and the Nature Playground, and the revitalization of the zoo.

The conservatory project will include an indoor conservatory called The Leaf, which will be five times larger and twice as tall as the old conservatory.

The cost estimate for the project has jumped to $97.8 million from the original $75 million, the conservancy said in a news release Monday. The increase is due to multiple factors, including a one-year delay in construction and the overall design complexity of The Leaf, it said.

The conservancy has said the roof of the structure will be made of an extremely lightweight, see-through plastic — ethylene-tetra-fluoro-ethylene — allowing the structure to be an open space without the use of heavy beams and walls.

Construction on the shell started in summer 2017, and installation of the specialized roof is set to start in early fall. If that goes to plan, the biomes inside The Leaf will be planted in summer 2020, the conservancy said.

The roof of the main building, called The Leaf, will be made of light-weight plastic that is translucent and able to withstand extreme temperatures and wind.

Outside, a group of garden spaces will be collectively called the Diversity Gardens. Landscape work started last year, the conservancy said, and opening of the outdoor areas will depend on completion of The Leaf.

So far, the project has secured $79.5 million from all levels of government, private donors and other sources, the conservancy said. That doesn't include newly confirmed dollars from private donors expected to be announced in the coming months, the release added.

"With the ongoing support of our donors and government partners we are looking forward to completing this transformation and the opening of The Leaf and diversity gardens in late 2020," conservancy president Margaret Redmond said in the release.

Should be awesome 

49 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Should be awesome 

For $100 million I would hope so,  problem is I don't see  even $10 million in material costs, unless of course those cables are spun with gold.

"The cost estimate for the project has jumped to $97.8 million from the original $75 million, the conservancy said in a news release Monday. The increase is due to multiple factors, including a one-year delay in construction and the overall design complexity of The Leaf, it said."

Building it may be complex, designing it was not with computer aided design, at this point I'm screaming NFW and waving red flags!!!

15 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

For $100 million I would hope so,  problem is I don't see  even $10 million in material costs, unless of course those cables are spun with gold.

"The cost estimate for the project has jumped to $97.8 million from the original $75 million, the conservancy said in a news release Monday. The increase is due to multiple factors, including a one-year delay in construction and the overall design complexity of The Leaf, it said."

Building it may be complex, designing it was not with computer aided design, at this point I'm screaming NFW and waving red flags!!!

I know almost nothing about structural engineering, but I'm curious how long that roof will last and how much snow it can hold. Or does the snow just melt off because the material has almost no R-value, and the building will cost millions of dollars per year to heat?

Also, as minimal as it was, the old conservatory was free to visit. I'm sure you'll be looking at a minimum of $15-20 a person to experience this monument to excess. 

One of our Supreme Court justices has gone missing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justice-clement-gascon-missing-1.5128783

Update: Ottawa police find missing Supreme Court Justice Gascon, say he is safe

Glad they found him. Would have hated to get an alert on my phone at midnight for someone missing in another province again.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

As someone who has sent and received hundreds of Interac e-transfers over the last 5 years this story blows my mind.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rbc-customer-out-of-pocket-after-e-transfer-fraud-1.5128114

Having a bank account with another Canadian bank they know virtually everything there is to know about the individual who defrauded this customer and yet they won't take the steps necessary to shut him down and legally charge him with theft?  Who knows, he may have done this hundreds or even thousands of times before.

Secondly how stupid is this criminal master-mind when it is so easy to trace his identity and location?  It would be much more difficult if the money was re-routed to an offshore account.

Here is the police response.

"Hoover filed a report with Peterborough police, but an officer told her that it's difficult to clamp down on online fraud and her fight to recoup the money could take ages and would likely be fruitless."

I hope this lady publishes the criminal's name and address on social media and a group of concerned citizens congregate and burn his house to the ground, or better yet if the fraud is linked to a kid pull him out of his parent's basement and lynch him.  What's the point of paying for a justice system if they choose to do nothing?

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As someone who has sent and received hundreds of Interac e-transfers over the last 5 years this story blows my mind.

So the hackers had access to her email waiting for an e-transfer to show up? That could be a long wait but maybe they were scoping her emails using bots. Still...

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I'm not condoning it by any means but having a Nazi flag is considered a hate crime?  I'd assume he's safe because of free speech.   I think a guy in North End drives around with a nazi flag and it's been in the news and he hasn't had anything charged against him. 

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It probably isn’t hate speech. But it wouldn’t be hard to ban with a by law. We wouldn’t let people have flags with the N word on them would we?  Bravo to the brave soul who took care of it himself 

On that same note do we then ban the guys in town with the Dukes of Hazard car that has the confederate flag on it?   

I'm pretty sure in Canada and the States you have the right to express yourself.    Where you can ding people would be if they are trying to incite a riot or commit the act of a hate crime. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

On that same note do we then ban the guys in town with the Dukes of Hazard car that has the confederate flag on it?   

I'm pretty sure in Canada and the States you have the right to express yourself.    Where you can ding people would be if they are trying to incite a riot or commit the act of a hate crime. 

I know people will disagree but its really a common sense thing.  You probably cant wave a flag that says the N word on it.  A Nazi flag is easy to ban.  You cant do it in Germany.

And yes, the Confederate Flag is gross too.  If you happen to be playing with a vintage Dukes of Hazzard toy, then we can let that slide.  But the confederate flag isnt a Dukes of Hazzard thing...its a Confederate thing.  

If a lot of morons decided the fly the confederate flag, then we should create a by law banning all flags but the Canadian one (and US as many businesses fly the US flag as well).  

There is no nuanced explanation for why someone needs to fly a Nazi flag.