Random News Items

Rich

really sad knowing that this has happened, considering that Winnipeg had been in that situation too over 50 years ago. I'm now hearing reports that the art and artifacts were saved...I hope that's true then that would truly be a miracle

Edited by iHeart

We know patio season in Winnipeg is a sacred thing and we're never content to do anything in an ordinary way - this is an outdoor area for dining and socializing like none other in the city, plus The Common is expanding outside in time for this summer.

What's great about it?

• The entire upper Plaza area, including the Canopy, will be licensed - you'll be able to grab a drink inside or outside and wander both spaces freely.
  • The full Common menu, the same twenty beers and wines will be available at a uniquely designed bar just off The Forks Market atrium. All beers and wines are curated quarterly by a Canadian sommelier.
  • 250 communal seats will welcome visitors to sit and enjoy the view while enjoying their beer, wine or food from The Forks. As with inside, the design and quality of materials is high.
  • Just like the rest of The Forks Market seating, guests can simply sit and enjoy the view. A purchase is not required to enjoy the space.

Lighting, firepits and music will round out the vibe for an exceptional experience. 

Construction is happening now, and will be completed in time for many beverages, food and experiences to happen this summer - we can't wait for you to #MeetMeAtTheForks this summer!

I wish the city would adopt more open alcohol zones. We have a great jazz fest and, as long as you sit in this fenced area, you can enjoy it with a drink. We have wonderful street fests and, as long as you stay in this fenced area, you can enjoy it with a drink. 

Let's open things up after 8pm (or whatever time) and encourage more socializing. Vegas style allowed to carry booze from space to space. 

"For the first time, University of Guelph biologists have tracked an annual migration of up to 20,000 kilometres made by the 12-gram blackpoll warbler, one of the fastest declining songbirds in North America."

“It’s amazing,” said Norris, who worked on the study with Hilary Cooke, associate conservation scientist with Wildlife Conservation Society Canada. “A bird weighing a couple of loonies travels from the western edge of North America all the way to the Amazon basin – and, in between, traverses the Atlantic Ocean.”

https://news.uoguelph.ca/2019/03/tiny-songbird-makes-record-migration-u-of-g-study-proves/?fbclid=IwAR1N8DdV6inWGedsFndroRGaaZG9Jn7RGrigFeDeR_wL5tVfE-TqqxYaL4I