Random News Items

Rich

On 2018-12-20 at 3:43 PM, JCon said:

Just as interesting, is this rebuttal to one of Relotius' articles about a small town in Minnesota: 

Der Spiegel journalist messed with the wrong small town

Read this take down of the "journalists" article. Incredible. It's a worthwhile read. 

Reminds me of the Stephen Glass story.  There's movie about it 'Shattered Glass'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/identity-fraud-calgary-victim-1.4957943

...Scotiabank said they have strong internal controls and processes in place for loans such as this one, but declined to explain what documentation is required for a high-value loan...

Methinks there'll be more to the story (bit of a slight stench of internal conspiracy at the dealership itself) but it is simply baffling how any financial institution could allow such a thing to happen in this day and age.

"yOu'Re RiChEr ThAn YoU tHiNk!"

are we all just going to pretend that Woodstock 99 never happened? because people would get angry over not having a wifi signal in this day and age, so I don't know if this is a good idea, yes I do know the significance of the original Woodstock

https://www.whec.com/entertainment/original-woodstock-site-to-host-50th-anniversary-concert/5192782/?cat=565&fbclid=IwAR18gtDm5_TueFRgZeU-EnoxWK82fODOIrGQRmhOlCjDRgrzE2BX_vtSNdU

On 2018-12-26 at 4:21 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

What was the point of the video? Was it sarcasm by a desperate actor going down? Or someone who truly believes he is innocent? But then there's that sexual assault charge in front of him now  coming at him like a runaway freight train. He's going to get squashed methinks. 

He posted it after being charged. So I think it was just arrogance that he could leverage a popular character into creating a new narrative and generating support. 

It was wildly bizarre.

On 2018-12-31 at 3:17 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

https://web2.gov.mb.ca/bills/41-4/b205e.php

No more DST in MB after next year.

Just to interject, this is a private member bill that has had first reading. Some local "media" were reporting this like it had passed the committee work, 2nd and 3rd reading, received Royal Assent and was proclaimed. 

We're very far from this being passed. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Just to interject, this is a private member bill that has had first reading. Some local "media" were reporting this like it had passed the committee work, 2nd and 3rd reading, received Royal Assent and was proclaimed. 

We're very far from this being passed. 

I hadn't noticed that. And considering it came from a guy the PCs booted from their caucus, it's got about the same odds of passing as he had of convincing that young female staffer to sit on his lap during a crowded meeting.