Random News Items

Rich

4 hours ago, Rich said:

The margins in restaurants are typically way too low to be able to afford the demands a union would make.  Wouldn't be surprised if it is the end of Stella's if they unionize, either because they shut down or are forced to after some time.

Indeed - food prices are on the rise.  As long as ethanol continues to be produced, keeping grain prices artificially high, expect the overall trend to continue

(Just an observation, not intended to take the thread off topic)

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Slow day at the CBC.

Eh, I posted it more for the historical value than anything. The history of the Canadian Arctic is pretty fascinating, IMO.

As far as major news, this is pretty significant: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/energy-sector-package-sohi-1.4950619

The federal government is promising more than $1.6 billion to support the ailing energy sector, just as political tensions in the Ottawa-Alberta relationship are rising.

Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi and International Trade Diversification Minister Jim Carr made the announcement in Edmonton Tuesday morning.

The bulk of the money goes to nearly $1 billion in commercial financial support from Export Development Canada. It's meant for oil and gas exporters who want to invest in new technologies and diversify their markets.

Edited by blue_gold_84
content added

11 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Thats very interesting.  We've seen stories where a group, say UFC, was able to pin point "User 0", a person hosting a torrent or illegal stream that was being seen by thousands.  But this sort of cease & desist passed through by ISP's with a demand for cash is absurd.

Now get these legal eagles on the case of the police ability to stop & blow without reasonable suspicion.  

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Now get these legal eagles on the case of the police ability to stop & blow without reasonable suspicion.  

I think that is more for adding a layer of random sampling to keep the stats honest.

Oops- I think you might be referring to Bill C-46. Yeah- that has the potential to be abused like crazy. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I think that is more for adding a layer of random sampling to keep the stats honest.

Oops- I think you might be referring to Bill C-46. Yeah- that has the potential to be abused like crazy. 

Saw a trucker note on twitter that a checkstop on Hwy 59 was making every motorist blow.  What a waste of time and resources and a trampling of Canadians' rights.

17 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Saw a trucker note on twitter that a checkstop on Hwy 59 was making every motorist blow.  What a waste of time and resources and a trampling of Canadians' rights.

We should set up FB pages or something to note where they are, not to have drivers avoid them but to encourage sober drivers to go and purposefully drive through them, multiple times even, to show what a waste they are.

1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

We should set up FB pages or something to note where they are, not to have drivers avoid them but to encourage sober drivers to go and purposefully drive through them, multiple times even, to show what a waste they are.

There is an app called TrapSpy that lists Checkstops, Photo Radars, accidents etc.  Its actually pretty darn good.  Its supported by...I think Wiseup Winnipeg.  Their position is, if checkstops only looked for drunk drivers, they would not support revealing the locations.  But since they are used as a net to nickel & dime motorists on minor infractions, they do.

And in fact, WPS' stats support this.  They always issue way way more tickets than they do alcohol related charges.

I've only been pulled into two checkstops my whole life.  The first time, amusingly I was on the way to work and left my wallet in my regular jacket AND had just bought the vehicle I was driving and hadnt switched the insurance yet.  The officer used his powers of deduction to quickly assess I was not under any influence and let me go (technically could have nailed me on a no DL charge).

Second time, just last year on the way to a social and again, easy in and out.  This whole, make everyone blow is ludicrous.

2 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

If they were truly serious they would take their breathalyzers and sit outside of any liquor selling places and test drivers as they left the parking lot.

This is an interesting story...

Der Spiegel reporter Claas Relotius sacked over 'invented' stories

German news magazine Der Spiegel has sacked an award-winning staff writer after accusing him of inventing details and quotes in numerous stories.

Claas Relotius "falsified articles on a grand scale and even invented characters", Der Spiegel said.

About: Der Spiegel is a German weekly news magazine published in Hamburg. With a weekly circulation of 840,000 copies, it is the largest such publication in Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Spiegel

Just as interesting, is this rebuttal to one of Relotius' articles about a small town in Minnesota: 

Der Spiegel journalist messed with the wrong small town

Read this take down of the "journalists" article. Incredible. It's a worthwhile read.