Random News Items

Rich

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm just gonna say this & I'm NOT pointing fingers at anyone here but making a general observation. The same people on this forum that are abhorred by bullying in a Christmas story are the same ones who seem okay with anyone else bullying others on this forum with insults & mockery if another poster says something they don't agree with. Why is it okay to belittle members on this board & yet then be outraged over whether a flying reindeer with a red nose is bullied by other flying reindeer & an overweight senior in a magical sled? I just don't get it. Bullying goes on in here every damned day & yet that seems to be acceptable. We need to have a serious discussion about why some posters here are always on the outside looking in & aren't part of the "in crowd" here. 

Amen to you Speedflex !! 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Bullying based on appearance is one thing, and "bullying" because you have a jackass opinion that deserves to be called out is quite another...

Seriously bullying someone because of their opinion is okay with you ?..... do you have kids ?

telling somebody that their opinion is wrong and basing it upon facts sounds like the normal thing to do...... I see bullying happen here and the people doing it many times never even refer to any specific statement when they do it,  many times they are huge hypocrites as well when they do pick out a statement to bully,  as they only bully one person even though many have said the same thing. I find it hilarious when that happens.  

Edited by NorthernSkunk

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Bullying based on appearance is one thing, and "bullying" because you have a jackass opinion that deserves to be called out is quite another...

Online bullying is online bullying. Not every fan is clued in to what is going on. And to be fair, I've bullied & been bullied here. I'm maybe a little worse at times than most so when I talk about bullying I include myself in it.  Sometimes "telling it like it is" is just an excuse to intimidate. I need to remind myself to be better. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Online bullying is online bullying. Not every fan is clued in to what is going on.

Then shouldn't they be before having an opinion on something? You can't be uninformed and have an opinion on something; that isn't rational.

You're entitled to your opinion but not the consequences when said opinion is inconsistent with facts. I don't think calling out someone's uninformed/misinformed opinion as BS qualifies as bullying.

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

Everyone desperate to create content for a streaming world.  Not sure if we debated it here but I know in discussing Star Trek on some Trek sites, there were fans angry at CBS for putting Discovery on All Access, saying its worthless to launch a streaming service now.  Everyone will have a streaming option.  Everything will be delivered via the internet in time.

Its also why you see sports organizations popping up.  MMA group ONE signing a significant deal.  The two or three impending football leagues in the US.  Content is king.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Everyone desperate to create content for a streaming world.  Not sure if we debated it here but I know in discussing Star Trek on some Trek sites, there were fans angry at CBS for putting Discovery on All Access, saying its worthless to launch a streaming service now.  Everyone will have a streaming option.  Everything will be delivered via the internet in time.

Its also why you see sports organizations popping up.  MMA group ONE signing a significant deal.  The two or three impending football leagues in the US.  Content is king.

Im curious if they are including those "Netflix originals" they just buy the rights to.

10 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Then shouldn't they be before having an opinion on something? You can't be uninformed and have an opinion on something; that isn't rational.

You're entitled to your opinion but not the consequences when said opinion is inconsistent with facts. I don't think calling out someone's uninformed/misinformed opinion as BS qualifies as bullying.

Depends how it's done, I guess. It's one thing to disagree & then state your case. It's another when a group of posters gang up & mock, name call & belittle someone because they don't agree or like what he says.  Like I said, I'm as guilty for doing that as the next guy for doing that. Especially lately to Northern Skunk who has been the subject of my scorn. If we're going to worry about name calling & bullying in a Christmas fantasy song then let's get real here & stamp out the same bad kind of behaviour that goes on here.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2018-12-13 at 7:37 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Online bullying is online bullying. Not every fan is clued in to what is going on. And to be fair, I've bullied & been bullied here. I'm maybe a little worse at times than most so when I talk about bullying I include myself in it.  Sometimes "telling it like it is" is just an excuse to intimidate. I need to remind myself to be better. 

When something happens that favours their opinion, they’re back like novacaine at the dentist. But when it’s the opposite - crickets. Sorry, but sometimes a spade is a spade. 

43 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

When something happens that favours their opinion, they’re back like novacaine at the dentist. But when it’s the opposite - crickets. Sorry, but sometimes a spade is a spade. 

Hey, no need to say sorry to me. I'm okay with whatever.  I just think being outraged at Xmas songs is so far down the list of importance it's laughable. But I was just making a so called "real life" comparison with online bullying as opposed to being upset over a bullied reindeer. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hey, no need to say sorry to me. I'm okay with whatever.  I just think being outraged at Xmas songs is so far down the list of importance it's laughable. But I was just making a so called "real life" comparison with online bullying as opposed to being upset over a bullied reindeer. 

Think of the reindeer!

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Depends how it's done, I guess. It's one thing to disagree & then state your case. It's another when a group of posters gang up & mock, name call & belittle someone because they don't agree or like what he says.  Like I said, I'm as guilty for doing that as the next guy for doing that. Especially lately to Northern Skunk who has been the subject of my scorn. If we're going to worry about name calling & bullying in a Christmas fantasy song then let's get real here & stamp out the same bad kind of behaviour that goes on here.

No worries speedflex....... and when I am wrong, or somewhat misinformed please do not hesitate to set me straight.  And I can take a joke so don't hold back if the opportunity presents itself.  I can differentiate pretty well between outright bullying and a good joke.

Go Bombers !

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Has anyone else being following the Stella's story on social media?  The level of denial from people claiming nothing happened, people who said the truth would come out, people who said they knew the owners - has been incredible

Now - crickets

Interesting story.  Never heard of it before.

16 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Has anyone else being following the Stella's story on social media?  The level of denial from people claiming nothing happened, people who said the truth would come out, people who said they knew the owners - has been incredible

Now - crickets

It was no surprise when the story hit.  We're not avid Stella's customers but it seemed like an open secret for years that it was an awful place to work.  I believe Boon Burger is owned by the same family (brother I think) and had similar issues - arrogant ownership.

If I owned a restaurant/lounge/bar I'd be hypersensitive to issues like this because the general culture lends itself to a lot of issues.  That doesnt mean its to be expected, but you have to be professional from the top down.  And it was clear in the case of Stella's that wasnt happening.

Now, they've got at least two locations on the verge of unionizing.  And the employee group behind it makes a solid case, that one of the owners being a WestJet pilot is part of a union so surely he wouldn't oppose his own business being unionized.  lol

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm surprised more restaurants have not been hit with the same kind of public attention.  I've read lots of stories online about Saffron's being as bad if not worse then Stella's and yet it never makes the news.  

I would think it's because you're talking about 1 restaurant vs a popular small chain with multiple locations.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They're not going to start closing Stella's over that.  Not with all this spotlight on them.  If 2 locations unionize, they all will and Stella's will just have to accept it.

The margins in restaurants are typically way too low to be able to afford the demands a union would make.  Wouldn't be surprised if it is the end of Stella's if they unionize, either because they shut down or are forced to after some time.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The margins in restaurants are typically way too low to be able to afford the demands a union would make.  Wouldn't be surprised if it is the end of Stella's if they unionize, either because they shut down or are forced to after some time.

Depends on the union. There arent many unionized restaurants but there are a handful.  It will take some quality management to keep costs under control.  Its not like the demands will include $15/hour.  Industry standard is minimum wage and tips.  They might get a $1 more (to cover union dues).  But all the things the staff complained about...hours being changed on a whim, no breaks, etc...easily accomplished.

When I worked for a restaurant, there was no reason to unionize because we were treated fairly.  If Stella's has been as successful as they'd make you think (and let's be honest, they were always busy any time I went there), they can absorb some expenses from their own mistakes.