Random News Items

Rich

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Which version is most famous?  Dean Martin maybe?  (Im a sucker for Zooey Dechanel singing it too).

Take your pick, plenty to choose from.

Year Performer Work Source
1951 Louis Armstrong and Velma Middleton Satchmo at Pasadena [11]
1955 Eddie Fisher and June Hutton Eddie Fisher Sings Academy Award Winning Songs [12]
1957 Sammy Davis Jr. and Carmen McRae Boy Meets Girl [13][14]
1959 Jack Marshall Soundsville! [15]
1959 Dean Martin A Winter Romance [16]
1961 Ray Charles and Betty Carter Ray Charles and Betty Carter [17]
1964 Al Hirt and Ann-Margret Beauty and the Beard [18]
1964 Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme That Holiday Feeling! [19]
1966 Henry Mancini The Academy Award Songs [20]
1966 Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery Jimmy & Wes: The Dynamic Duo [21]
1972 Rod McKuen and Liesbeth List   [22]
1990 Barry Manilow and K. T. Oslin Because It's Christmas [23]
1991 Bette Midler and James Caan For the Boys [24]
1992 Robert Palmer and Carnie Wilson Ridin' High [25]
1994 Nancy LaMott and Michael Feinstein Just in Time for Christmas [26]
1995 Lou Rawls and Dianne Reeves Jazz to the World [27]
1996 Vanessa Williams and Bobby Caldwell Star Bright [28]
1998 Ann Hampton Callaway and Kenny Rankin This Christmas [29]
1999 Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews Reload [30]
2000 Tom Wopat and Antonia Bennett The Still of the Night [31]
2001 Suzy Bogguss and Delbert McClinton Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas [32]
2000 Holly Cole Baby, It's Cold Outside [33]
2002 Brian Setzer and Ann-Margret Boogie Woogie Christmas [34]
2002 Lee Ann Womack and Harry Connick Jr. The Season for Romance [35]
2003 Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone Elf [36]
2004 Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey ReJoyce: The Christmas Album [37]
2004 Rod Stewart and Dolly Parton Stardust: The Great American Songbook, Volume III [38]
2004 James Taylor and Natalie Cole A Christmas Album [39]
2008 Anne Murray and Michael Bublé Anne Murray's Christmas Album [40]
2009 Lady Antebellum Country for Christmas [41]
2009 Willie Nelson and Norah Jones American Classic [42]
2010 Chris Colfer and Darren Criss Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album [43]
2011 Haley Reinhart and Casey Abrams   [44]
2011 She & Him A Very She & Him Christmas [45]
2012 Colbie Caillat and Gavin DeGraw Christmas in the Sand [46]
2012 Rita Coolidge A Rita Coolidge Christmas [47]
2012 Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera Cee Lo's Magic Moment [48]
2012 Lyle Lovett and Kat Edmonson Release Me [49]
2013 Kelly Clarkson and Ronnie Dunn Wrapped in Red [50]
2013 Jimmy Fallon and Cecily Strong Saturday Night Live [51][52]
2013 Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon-Levitt Lady Gaga and the Muppets Holiday Spectacular [53]
2013 Martina McBride and Dean Martin The Classic Christmas Album [54]
2014 Connie Britton and Will Chase Christmas with Nashville [55]
2014 Seth MacFarlane and Sara Bareilles Holiday for Swing [56]
2014 Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé Holiday Wishes [57]
2014 Darius Rucker and Sheryl Crow Home for the Holidays [58]
2014 Virginia to Vegas and Alyssa Reid   [59]
2016 Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood Christmas Together [60]
2016 Jimmy Buffett and Nadirah Shakoor 'Tis the SeaSon [61]
2016 Brett Eldredge and Meghan Trainor Glow [62]
2016 John Farnham and Olivia Newton-John Friends for Christmas [63]
2016 Amy Grant and Vince Gill Tennessee Christmas [64]
2017 Fantasia and CeeLo Green Christmas After Midnight [65]
2017 Kelley Jakle and Shelley Regner Pitch Perfect 3 [66]

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Take your pick, plenty to choose from.

Year Performer Work Source
1951 Louis Armstrong and Velma Middleton Satchmo at Pasadena [11]
1955 Eddie Fisher and June Hutton Eddie Fisher Sings Academy Award Winning Songs [12]
1957 Sammy Davis Jr. and Carmen McRae Boy Meets Girl [13][14]
1959 Jack Marshall Soundsville! [15]
1959 Dean Martin A Winter Romance [16]
1961 Ray Charles and Betty Carter Ray Charles and Betty Carter [17]
1964 Al Hirt and Ann-Margret Beauty and the Beard [18]
1964 Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme That Holiday Feeling! [19]
1966 Henry Mancini The Academy Award Songs [20]
1966 Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery Jimmy & Wes: The Dynamic Duo [21]
1972 Rod McKuen and Liesbeth List   [22]
1990 Barry Manilow and K. T. Oslin Because It's Christmas [23]
1991 Bette Midler and James Caan For the Boys [24]
1992 Robert Palmer and Carnie Wilson Ridin' High [25]
1994 Nancy LaMott and Michael Feinstein Just in Time for Christmas [26]
1995 Lou Rawls and Dianne Reeves Jazz to the World [27]
1996 Vanessa Williams and Bobby Caldwell Star Bright [28]
1998 Ann Hampton Callaway and Kenny Rankin This Christmas [29]
1999 Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews Reload [30]
2000 Tom Wopat and Antonia Bennett The Still of the Night [31]
2001 Suzy Bogguss and Delbert McClinton Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas [32]
2000 Holly Cole Baby, It's Cold Outside [33]
2002 Brian Setzer and Ann-Margret Boogie Woogie Christmas [34]
2002 Lee Ann Womack and Harry Connick Jr. The Season for Romance [35]
2003 Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone Elf [36]
2004 Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey ReJoyce: The Christmas Album [37]
2004 Rod Stewart and Dolly Parton Stardust: The Great American Songbook, Volume III [38]
2004 James Taylor and Natalie Cole A Christmas Album [39]
2008 Anne Murray and Michael Bublé Anne Murray's Christmas Album [40]
2009 Lady Antebellum Country for Christmas [41]
2009 Willie Nelson and Norah Jones American Classic [42]
2010 Chris Colfer and Darren Criss Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album [43]
2011 Haley Reinhart and Casey Abrams   [44]
2011 She & Him A Very She & Him Christmas [45]
2012 Colbie Caillat and Gavin DeGraw Christmas in the Sand [46]
2012 Rita Coolidge A Rita Coolidge Christmas [47]
2012 Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera Cee Lo's Magic Moment [48]
2012 Lyle Lovett and Kat Edmonson Release Me [49]
2013 Kelly Clarkson and Ronnie Dunn Wrapped in Red [50]
2013 Jimmy Fallon and Cecily Strong Saturday Night Live [51][52]
2013 Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon-Levitt Lady Gaga and the Muppets Holiday Spectacular [53]
2013 Martina McBride and Dean Martin The Classic Christmas Album [54]
2014 Connie Britton and Will Chase Christmas with Nashville [55]
2014 Seth MacFarlane and Sara Bareilles Holiday for Swing [56]
2014 Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé Holiday Wishes [57]
2014 Darius Rucker and Sheryl Crow Home for the Holidays [58]
2014 Virginia to Vegas and Alyssa Reid   [59]
2016 Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood Christmas Together [60]
2016 Jimmy Buffett and Nadirah Shakoor 'Tis the SeaSon [61]
2016 Brett Eldredge and Meghan Trainor Glow [62]
2016 John Farnham and Olivia Newton-John Friends for Christmas [63]
2016 Amy Grant and Vince Gill Tennessee Christmas [64]
2017 Fantasia and CeeLo Green Christmas After Midnight [65]
2017 Kelley Jakle and Shelley Regner Pitch Perfect 3 [66]

wow.  Maybe Ill record my own version.  And Ill sing both parts.  Badly.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/via-rail-german-siemens-bombardier-contract-1.4942956

Via Rail has selected Germany's Siemens over Bombardier Inc. for a $989-million contract to build new rolling stock as the Canadian passenger rail service renews its fleet of locomotives and cars for the rail corridor between Quebec City and Windsor.

I hate that ******* song, I'm glad stations stepped up and did something, I hate that anyone had to make a big public deal about it. If you just pull the song and don't make a huge public display, nobody would ever know and everything would be fine. 

The song is annoying to begin with. Secondly, there is clearly a problem with some of those lyrics in this day and age and, added all up, it's worthy of being punted. 

Our station had a chat about and decided to lay low. We didn't pull it outright, but we don't play it a lot anyhow. I personally delete it from my playlist every time I see it come up in the computer. 

I hope all the people screaming about "relax and have a sense of humour!" never have a daughter who is pressured by an overly aggressive man. 

Noeller, it's a song. Written in the 1940's. What about Mick Jagger & the Stones  pleading with a woman to "Let's Spend The Night Together. Cuz I need You More Than Ever?" How many country songs are about sex? Same with rock. Then there's rap whose lyrics & artists don't respect women at all. You ban one then you have to ban them all. What about female performers looking like sluts onstage? Shouldn't they be banned as well as they portray women as sex objects. You can't pick & choose. Ban one then you must ban everything.  Too much political correctness & honestly (not saying you but...) some people need to get a life.  Just sayin'. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Noeller, it's a song. Written in the 1940's.

I've never gotten this argument. How is nostalgia a defense of something. I'm ambivalent about the song (I don't particularly like it but don't care enough to get up in arms either way), but why is the fact that it's been playing for years relevant?

Question comes up a lot in my mind about a lot of things. Some of our traditions are not worth keeping.

Edited by tacklewasher

1 minute ago, tacklewasher said:

I've never gotten this argument. How is nostalgia a defense of something. I'm ambivalent about the song (I don't particularly like it but don't care enough to get up in arms either way), but why is the fact that it's been playing for years relevant?

Question comes up a lot in my mind about a lot of things. Some of our traditions are not worth keeping.

I had this debate with my gf who believes the song is not appropriate today.  I think we have to be really careful about censoring creative works.  And especially in the PC era (and I dont mean that in a bad way because I dont rail against common decency/respect as an attack of the PC police). But, this happened with Money For Nothing a few years ago because ONE person complained and didnt understand the point of the offending word in the song.

Im 99.9% on the side of women (or more accurately 100% on the side of women in 99.9% of things).  But many historians have said the song is not about coercion, but about the fact the woman wants to spend the night but is afraid of judgement.  The perspective as judged by "the time" isnt that it was okay for men to coerce women, its that women had to play a role lest they be judged or "**** shamed".  

On its face, its playful.  I would wager most adults have experienced playful moments of banter in romantic situations (both ways, not just man towards woman).

If you read the lyrics its pretty clear what its about.  But people pop out lines out of context.

So, out of contest the offending lines are:

"Say what's in this drink?" - but that follows her asking for another drink.  The male replies that she should put on a record while he pours.  The clear indication is not that he's slipping her a date rape drug but that he made her an extra strong drink.

Next offending line:

"I ought to say no, no, no".  Her repeating the word "no" is not for emphasis.  Its to keep the melody of the song.  It follows her lamenting that she wished she could "break this spell".  In other words, she wants to stay, she's enamored.  She wishes she didnt want to.  The line is immediately followed by "At least I can say that I tried".  This isnt an example of a victim shrugging off an attack.  Its her going through in her mind how she'll respond to people shaming her the next day.

She repeats "no" in the next offending line:

"The answer is no".  This follows "I really must go."  The male's response to both is "Baby, it's cold outside."  Almost as if the writer purposely has a mundane, generic male statement that she is responding to.  Why?  Because she's not responding to him.  She's talking to herself.  She's trying to convince herself she should go.

Have any of us been in that position?  Heck yes.  

She immediately follows that line by complimenting the man.  She is now back to addressing him (rather then internalizing).  She tells him his "welcome has been so nice and warm".  The man's response to this is to say he's lucky she dropped in (which tells us that she initially went to his home).  It also tells us he's complimenting her, not forcing her to stay.  His next line is "Look out the window at this dawn".  This implied they've already spent most of the night together.

That's a key line because it gives us context to the song.  Its not a two minute conversation.  It's a narrative of the evening.  Its possible this narrative tells us her internalizing was her final thought process on whether to stay or not, clearly her choice.  And the next lines referring to it being nice and warm and look at this dawn could be the AFTER of their coupling.

The next lines are her being worried about what her family will think about her coming home so late (or the next day).  She refers to her sister being suspicious, her brother waiting at the door and her Aunt having a "vicious mind".  This is all about other people's reactions to her decision to spend the night.

It could be read, again, as AFTER they've spent the night together and now she's laying there thinking about the consequences...the shaming and judgement.

The male's response is to refer to her lips as "delicious" (this is 1) a compliment 2) confirming they have been intimate 3) a flirtation).  She immediately responds by making another excuse to STAY (he never asked her to at this point...).  She says a half a cigarette more.  Again, giving herself an excuse to stay.

She then goes back to saying she had to get home.  If we accept the narrative that they have spent the night together, his next lines make sense "But baby, you'd freeze out there", "Its up to your knees out there".  The weather is now worse than it was when she came over.

She asks him to lend her a coat, implying again that the weather is now much worse than when she went to his home (and confirming some time has passed).

She gives him a compliment that suggests she is getting ready to leave "you've really been grand".  Her opinion of him is he's been great, its was a great night.

Her next lines wrap up the narrative:

"But dont you see, there's bound to be talk tomorrow, at least it will be implied".  That tells us this whole routine is about her wanting to stay but fearing judgement and that she DID stay and is now fearful of that judgement.

We could read it further as expressing the dichotomy between men and women where he simply has no understanding of how she will be judged because he's a man and she's a woman.  That's the victimization in this song.

Her last line is "I really cant stay" and he replies "get over that old out".  She's reiterating that she cant stay because of the judgement and he's saying it doesnt matter, the judgement doesnt matter, he doesnt care what people think.

I cant believe I just analyzed that song haha

1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

100%.....I feel the same way about the Charlie Brown Christmas special and the claymation Rudolph. There's stuff in there in regards to bullying that makes me sick to watch. I still watch them, and I still enjoy that it's a part of Christmas tradition, but the stuff that was "appropriate" in the 1950s is not appropriate today and I'm fine with that.

The world's changing and we have to change with it....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

100%.....I feel the same way about the Charlie Brown Christmas special and the claymation Rudolph. There's stuff in there in regards to bullying that makes me sick to watch. I still watch them, and I still enjoy that it's a part of Christmas tradition, but the stuff that was "appropriate" in the 1950s is not appropriate today and I'm fine with that.

The world's changing and we have to change with it....

Its been awhile since I've seen Rudolph but isnt it about a deer who is different and thus bullied and yet what makes him special and different turns out to be his strength and he saves Christmas and leads all the other deer?

Isnt showing the bullying part of that story?  Im not sure what negative impact it would have on kids today to see it when it didnt seem to be a problem for decades previous.  

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Its been awhile since I've seen Rudolph but isnt it about a deer who is different and thus bullied and yet what makes him special and different turns out to be his strength and he saves Christmas and leads all the other deer?

Isnt showing the bullying part of that story?  Im not sure what negative impact it would have on kids today to see it when it didnt seem to be a problem for decades previous.  

to me, the over-arching theme is the bullying because he's different, until he has something they need, and then everyone loves him, because he needs them. We're really over-analyzing things at this point, but Rudolph shoulda told 'em to go **** themselves.

Just now, Noeller said:

to me, the over-arching theme is the bullying because he's different, until he has something they need, and then everyone loves him, because he needs them. We're really over-analyzing things at this point, but Rudolph shoulda told 'em to go **** themselves.

God forbid you're a slave elf! Can't even become a dentist because it's your job to paint the darn toys! Commies! 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

True.  In 2018, it would be rated R and Rudolph would have replied with gun fire probably.

If my child came to me and asked why Rudolph would help Santa and the others after they were so mean, I'd say because he's the bigger person, selfless etc.  Its still a good story in that regard, no?

If Santa was dropping N bombs, I could understand it not airing today.  But if the change in perspective means parents have to engage their kids to help them understand the positive messages of old tv shows, so be it.  Little kids shouldn't be in charge of the remote anyway.

I'm just gonna say this & I'm NOT pointing fingers at anyone here but making a general observation. The same people on this forum that are abhorred by bullying in a Christmas story are the same ones who seem okay with anyone else bullying others on this forum with insults & mockery if another poster says something they don't agree with. Why is it okay to belittle members on this board & yet then be outraged over whether a flying reindeer with a red nose is bullied by other flying reindeer & an overweight senior in a magical sled? I just don't get it. Bullying goes on in here every damned day & yet that seems to be acceptable. We need to have a serious discussion about why some posters here are always on the outside looking in & aren't part of the "in crowd" here. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm just gonna say this & I'm NOT pointing fingers at anyone here but making a general observation. The same people on this forum that are abhorred by bullying in a Christmas story are the same ones who seem okay with anyone else bullying others on this forum with insults & mockery if another poster says something they don't agree with. Why is it okay to belittle members on this board & yet then be outraged over whether a flying reindeer with a red nose is bullied by other flying reindeer & an overweight senior in a magical sled? I just don't get it. Bullying goes on in here every damned day & yet that seems to be acceptable. We need to have a serious discussion about why some posters here are always on the outside looking in & aren't part of the "in crowd" here. 

we can all do better to remember we're interacting with real people.  It gets lost in the fact we're typing.  But I do think this forum is one of the best I've posted at in terms of mutual respect and when it steps outside that, in the moderators reminding people.  

But your post is a good reminder that we should always be cognizant that we're all human beings.