Random News Items

Rich

Netflix hikes subscription prices in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/netflix-canada-price-hike-1.4925299

The basic Netflix Canada plan — which does not offer ultra high-definition 4K video and allows streaming on one device at a time — rises a dollar to $9.99 a month.

Netflix's standard plan will now cost $3 more — or $13.99 a month — to watch content on two devices at the same time.

Premium plan subscribers pay $3 more — or $16.99 a month — to watch TV shows and movies on four devices at the same time and in HD and ultra HD video.

Wow, a $3 hike to my plan? That's quite a bit. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Netflix hikes subscription prices in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/netflix-canada-price-hike-1.4925299

The basic Netflix Canada plan — which does not offer ultra high-definition 4K video and allows streaming on one device at a time — rises a dollar to $9.99 a month.

Netflix's standard plan will now cost $3 more — or $13.99 a month — to watch content on two devices at the same time.

Premium plan subscribers pay $3 more — or $16.99 a month — to watch TV shows and movies on four devices at the same time and in HD and ultra HD video.

Wow, a $3 hike to my plan? That's quite a bit. 

yeesh $16.99 a month.  Well, people will pay it I guess.  

It might be an effort to preemptively manipulate people into not trying out other streaming services.  We pay for Netflix and Prime.  If, say, Crave looked interesting, I might be willing to have 3 or 4 services at $6-$10 per month.  But if Im already spending $25-30, Im less likely to add new ones.  

On the flip side, if you're on the verge of cable cutting, you have all that extra money to target the programming you want.  

Plus, we're all going to subscribe to Disney, right?

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

yeesh $16.99 a month.  Well, people will pay it I guess.  

It might be an effort to preemptively manipulate people into not trying out other streaming services.  We pay for Netflix and Prime.  If, say, Crave looked interesting, I might be willing to have 3 or 4 services at $6-$10 per month.  But if Im already spending $25-30, Im less likely to add new ones.  

On the flip side, if you're on the verge of cable cutting, you have all that extra money to target the programming you want.  

Plus, we're all going to subscribe to Disney, right?

I've got two children. I'll be getting Disney+.

We switched providers a in the spring and had HBO, Crave, et al, included for six months free. It was nice but the platform sucked. Hopefully, the new app is better.

That being said, I realized how little cable TV I watch now. I was looking for upcoming Xmas shows to record and found my PVR was empty, with the exception of a few Bomber games. I also realized that I didn't know any of the regular cable TV shows anymore. 

If I could get sports and cut the cord, I would. But I can't get it reliably without paying big $$$ for subscriptions. 

Edited by JCon

Now that Trump has declared journalists the enemy and has condoned the murder of a journalist, Duterte, who Trump has praised, has moved on his critics:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/29/asia/maria-ressa-rappler-intl/index.html

Philippines news website Rappler and its chief executive have been indicted on tax evasion charges, the latest in a case that free speech and civil liberties advocates have warned is part of a wider crackdown on dissent by President Rodrigo Duterte's administration.

The war on journalism continues and is being pushed by the US. 

On 2018-11-29 at 1:46 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

It seemed really unusual from day one.  Why would a stranger attack, kill and transport her away?  It would have had to be totally random since she was just out for a walk.  Even a mugging gone wrong, when does the victim get transported away?

That method worked out pretty well for Mark Stobbe.

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Oh boy, enough is enough they're taking censorship too far....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/baby-its-cold-outside-misconstrued-feminist-song-1.4933502

I thought it was funny when I heard about the backlash but the fact people are taking it seriously is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.  And its not even about lightening up on PC.... you literally can't censor creative works without a really, really, really good reason.   Whats next, burning books?  Banning films that deal with rape or assault?

And quite literally the song isnt what the people wanting it banned think its about.  And even if it was, its actually a light hearted example of the type of legitimate flirtation that exists every single day between men and women (and goes both ways).  

My gf and I joked for years that the song was going to get banned...I bet next year, its back and no one cares.

Is it public domain now?  Cause whomever owns the publishing rights is probably reaping the rewards with all this nonsense.  Its a GREAT song.

It's one of my all time favourite songs, never mind being one of the best Xmas songs ever. 

Those fighting to get it banned have little understanding of what true message of the song is. In fact, it should be celebrated to show how far we've come as a society that a woman doesn't have to worry about being shunned for what she decides to do in the privacy of her own home (or someone else's). 

The fact that CBC has banned it disgusts me. It's a public broadcaster that plays all ranges of music. If the private companies want to ban it, then they should be able to do so, and I shall take my business elsewhere.

Ridiculous. Thank god for streaming music.  

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's one of my all time favourite songs, never mind being one of the best Xmas songs ever. 

Those fighting to get it banned have little understanding of what true message of the song is. In fact, it should be celebrated to show how far we've come as a society that a woman doesn't have to worry about being shunned for what she decides to do in the privacy of her own home (or someone else's). 

The fact that CBC has banned it disgusts me. It's a public broadcaster that plays all ranges of music. If the private companies want to ban it, then they should be able to do so, and I shall take my business elsewhere.

Ridiculous. Thank god for streaming music.  

I heard a version that reverses the roles (is it the Gaga one?) and it was great too.  Its a fun song.