Random News Items

Rich

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/10/15/bell-mts-wireless-service-ending/#.W8SgWBNKhTY

Bell Canada is phasing out wireless service under its Bell MTS brand in Manitoba.

The telecom says when a customer on Bell MTS upgrades their wireless plan, they will be moved over to a Bell Mobility plan.

Predict all references to MTS to be gone within about 5 years?

Article goes on to say that Bell often ranks lowest in customer satisfaction amongst the big cellular companies and that Telus ranks first and was found to have the fastest network in Winnipeg.  Interesting.  

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Me too!!

****!  Are we related?? lol  Im related to him (Im sure a ton of people are) through the North's.  In the...60/70's a relative did a comprehensive family tree using one of the North's as the starting point.  He couldn't trade us back definitively but in the summary indicated that the first North appeared in the records when he married William's daughter on the way to England. 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

****!  Are we related?? lol  Im related to him (Im sure a ton of people are) through the North's.  In the...60/70's a relative did a comprehensive family tree using one of the North's as the starting point.  He couldn't trade us back definitively but in the summary indicated that the first North appeared in the records when he married William's daughter on the way to England. 

We must be. I also have a family tree that traces back quite a ways in Scotland. My fam, 6 generations ago traces back to Edinburgh and then back from there through the Norman lines. 

Given the proliferation of the Norman bloodlines across the UK, I would guess that any family reunion would require a migratory move the likes the world has never seen. 

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

We must be. I also have a family tree that traces back quite a ways in Scotland. My fam, 6 generations ago traces back to Edinburgh and then back from there through the Norman lines. 

Given the proliferation of the Norman bloodlines across the UK, I would guess that any family reunion would require a migratory move the likes the world has never seen. 

I've got Scottish blood through both parents & can also follow my lineage quite a ways back.  My family tree goes through the Tudor's & Stuarts so lots of royal blood to go around these parts!

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I've got Scottish blood through both parents & can also follow my lineage quite a ways back.  My family tree goes through the Tudor's & Stuarts so lots of royal blood to go around these parts!

I lean more towards Wales on my father's side.   Predominant names seem to be North, Palmer, Littler, Shallcross.

I've played around on ancestry.com quite a bit.  What's great is seeing images of the actual ship passenger lists of relatives coming to Canada for the first time.  

Im adopted and when I found out my birth name, I plugged that into ancestry as well and the most interesting thing was learning Im related to a girl I used to date (by marriage so is not as weird lol).

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/10/16/manitoba-distracted-driving-fines-penalties/#.W8YfdS3MxBw

WINNIPEG — The Manitoba government has taken the gloves off and introduced tougher penalties for motorists who choose to text and drive.

Beginning November 1, a first-time offence for distracted driving will cost you $672 — up from a $203 fine previously.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

I wouldnt mind this if they didnt play hobo dress up and look to sting drivers at red lights.  That's just not the same thing and I find it somewhat inappropriate for the city to solicit donations pretending to be homeless or in need.  It explains why the city refuses to do anything about the increasing amount of people camped out on blvds though.

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I wouldnt mind this if they didnt play hobo dress up and look to sting drivers at red lights.  That's just not the same thing and I find it somewhat inappropriate for the city to solicit donations pretending to be homeless or in need.  It explains why the city refuses to do anything about the increasing amount of people camped out on blvds though.

This all makes  sense now!     They open Portage and Main to slow down traffic even more....  they then have a bunch of policemen dressed as civilians busting everyone for texting while waiting 10 minutes to cross the intersection.... it all makes sense :D

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do they ticket you for texting in a drive through or a parking lot?

Drive through was (I think) Ontario and the parking lot one I'm thinking about was West Kelowna (BC).