Random News Items

Rich

T

he Kingdom of Saudi Arabia executed a man by crucifixion in the holy city of Mecca on Wednesday, Crimes in Saudi Arabia such as homosexuality and attending anti-government rallies have previously led to crucifixion sentences. Unlike the biblical crucifixions carried out by the Romans against Christians in antiquity, Saudi crucifixions usually involve displaying a beheaded corpse in public on a cross.

15 of 19  WTC highjackers were Saudi.

Nice little country they have going there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-crucified-man-in-mecca-while-calling-out-canada-human-rights-2018-8

Edited by Mark F

12 minutes ago, Mark F said:

T

15 of 19  WTC highjackers were Saudi.

Nice little country they have going there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-crucified-man-in-mecca-while-calling-out-canada-human-rights-2018-8

I dont blame them for 11/9 but nice to see us taking the moral high road. Hey if their human rights record is shabby and ffs women just got to drive last year then stop trading with them. That's on top of my views dealing with those commie bastards :D

But it's oil...

Dozens of civilians, mostly children, have been killed and more wounded in an airstrike by the US-backed, Saudi-led coalition in Yemen that hit a bus in the rebel-held north of the country.

Abdul-Ghani Nayeb, a health department chief in Sa’ada, said 43 were killed and at least 61 injured, according to Reuters. There was no immediate comment from the Saudi-led coalition.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/09/dozens-dead-in-yemen-as-bus-carrying-children-hit-by-airstrike-icrc

Nice country.

21 hours ago, iHeart said:

The father of the suspect was a character witness for one of the WTC bombers (the early 90's bombing).

In some of the audio he mentions being a broken person with issues and apologizes to his family.  He did a roll or something and remarked he thought that would have been it (crash).  He says he knew how to fly from video games (is Flight Simulator THAT good??) but needed help with some rather minor things (setting the bugs).  

It certainly raises questions about aircraft safety when someone can access and take off in a commercial plane.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

In some of the audio he mentions being a broken person with issues and apologizes to his family.  He did a roll or something and remarked he thought that would have been it (crash).  He says he knew how to fly from video games (is Flight Simulator THAT good??) but needed help with some rather minor things (setting the bugs).  

It certainly raises questions about aircraft safety when someone can access and take off in a commercial plane.

I believe that the 9-11 terrorists had used Flight Simulator to learn how to fly the plane.   I haven't played one in years but it used to be very accurate to real life flying.

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I believe that the 9-11 terrorists had used Flight Simulator to learn how to fly the plane.   I haven't played one in years but it used to be very accurate to real life flying.

True that but they also took flying courses. Course the instructors admitted they were not that concerned about the landings.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

True that but they also took flying courses. Course the instructors admitted they were not that concerned about the landings.

I suspect the Flight Sim use might have been so they knew how to fly the course to the Towers and Washington.  Even the missing MH plane, the pilot had a Flight Sim he would use to fly different routes/airports etc and he was an actual pilot.  I played with Flight Sim years and years ago.  Is it geared more for people that know what they're doing?

Maybe they can install some sort of lock out mechanism whereby you need a code to be able to start a commercial plane.  

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I suspect the Flight Sim use might have been so they knew how to fly the course to the Towers and Washington.  Even the missing MH plane, the pilot had a Flight Sim he would use to fly different routes/airports etc and he was an actual pilot.  I played with Flight Sim years and years ago.  Is it geared more for people that know what they're doing?

Maybe they can install some sort of lock out mechanism whereby you need a code to be able to start a commercial plane.  

Be like email passwords...12345678

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

So is anyone on here wanting to change the name of Bishop Grandin Blvd?

The sun story was really fair I thought. At this stage I’d prefer not to change names as there is so much named after him and while he did supposed residential schools it sounds like he was also an advocate for metis rights. 

Id support erecting some sort of informational signage or plaques thst explain the history. And I’d be happy to see that for many of our streets, parks and neighbourhoods that carry historic names.  

I think for an entire generation or more of people, Bishop Vital Grandin is just a road and park and mall.  So educating us on the history including the controversial aspects is good.  

But really the feedback of aboriginal people is paramount and should be respected.  

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think for an entire generation or more of people, Bishop Vital Grandin is just a road and park and mall. 

The entire st vital area is named after him so it's much more than just those couple things.

I do agree though that he was an advocate for the metis (or at least tried to be).  I had read that his original intent for the residential schools was actually to preserve native culture as he thought it would eventually be assimilated into European culture. 

Obviously it didn't turn out that way and even if that was the idea behind it, it's like the old saying goes... the road to hell is paved with good intentions.