Random News Items

Rich

We look so bush league. 

Another wake up call to taxi companies that they will ignore. 

I also saw a tweet about a vehicle break in (very common here) and a neighbour saw the culprits get into a Unicity Taxi. When the victim reported this to WPS they were told that its common.  Thieves use off duty cabs as get away vehicles   Wonderful. 

50 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

We look so bush league. 

Another wake up call to taxi companies that they will ignore. 

I also saw a tweet about a vehicle break in (very common here) and a neighbour saw the culprits get into a Unicity Taxi. When the victim reported this to WPS they were told that its common.  Thieves use off duty cabs as get away vehicles   Wonderful. 

The taxi monopoly here is really sickening. What really chaps my arse, though, is how MPI gets to tell these ride sharing companies how to operate and claim it's in the ratepayers' best interest. What a load of turds. MPI is garbage.

In other news, the BoC raises the interest rate another quarter: https://winnipegsun.com/news/national/bank-of-canada-raises-interest-rate-for-first-time-in-6-months/wcm/91d04918-366f-4b0e-8389-a7a794c21299

Its Uber's choice not to accept unreasonable conditions.

The fact they exist in so many markets but MPI thinks we are special is ludicrous.  Its purely political.  That map shows the over-whelming desire of Winnipeggers to have Uber.

The fact is, the taxi companies have known about Uber potentially coming here for years and their effort was in lobbying government to stop it and making Uber out to be a boogeyman to the people.  Not making their service better, safer and more reliable.

A friend was in Cali last weekend and used Uber for the first time and reacted like I did the first time (in vegas last year)...its a revelation. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rally-safe-third-country-agreement-winnipeg-trump-1.4743060

Former Liberal foreign affairs minister Lloyd Axworthy called on the Trudeau government to suspend the Safe Third Country Agreement with the United States as people rallied and placed paper cutouts of children on the steps of the Manitoba legislature Wednesday night.

On 2018-07-11 at 12:39 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Its Uber's choice not to accept unreasonable conditions.

The fact they exist in so many markets but MPI thinks we are special is ludicrous.  Its purely political.  That map shows the over-whelming desire of Winnipeggers to have Uber.

The fact is, the taxi companies have known about Uber potentially coming here for years and their effort was in lobbying government to stop it and making Uber out to be a boogeyman to the people.  Not making their service better, safer and more reliable.

A friend was in Cali last weekend and used Uber for the first time and reacted like I did the first time (in vegas last year)...its a revelation. 

Lyft > Uber.

But either way, ride-sharing is here.  What's the issue???

Personally, I'd rather support a Canadian start-up anyway. 

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Lyft > Uber.

But either way, ride-sharing is here.  What's the issue???

Personally, I'd rather support a Canadian start-up anyway. 

Never used Lyft but heard good things.  We used Uber so saw no reason to switch.  

You mean Tappcar or whatever it’s called?  I’ve heard good things. 

But Uber and Lyft should be here. And would be here if not for the “made in Manitoba solution “ 

http://news.trust.org/item/20180712225358-ks8dj/

TORONTO, July 12 (Reuters) - The influx of asylum seekers that threw Canada's refugee system into disarray slowed in June after also falling in May, the first two-month decline since the wave ramped up last year, according to preliminary figures from government officials and border agents.

The decrease could ease pressure on agencies aiding refugees and on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government, which has come under fire for its management of the asylum seeker issue.

The number of people illegally crossing the Canada-U.S. border to claim asylum in Canada dropped to 1,869 in May, down about 27 percent from the prior month, according to the Immigration and Refugee Ministry.

8 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

It would appear that Robert Marve is a nasty grimy brute. Allegedly.

https://www.wfla.com/news/hillsborough-county/warrant-issued-for-former-plant-hs-football-star/1299779673

Did they find a single glove at the scene of the crime?

The twist on this is that Marve's lawyer is saying this is BDSM related.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

So Max Hall the coke head and Marve the woman beater.... I guess they did not sign guys based on character back then...

The secret coke head and the secret woman beater. Maybe there is some coke head/woman beater questionnaire we should have prospects take. Be honest now guys, we only want squeaky clean choir boy pro athletes. Next we'll find out Goltz was the second gunman at the grassy knoll.