Random News Items

Rich

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/titanium-oilsands-cnrl-titaniumcorp-1.4584513

After several years and nearly $100 million of research, engineers say they have developed new technology to extract valuable metals from the waste produced by the oilsands in northern Alberta.

Canadian Natural Resources and Titanium Corp. have a proposal to construct a $400-million facility at CNR's Horizon oilsands site to produce titanium and zircon from the materials left over from bitumen production. 

Zircon is used to make ceramic tiles and other products, while titanium is used in products ranging from golf clubs and bicycles to aircraft and missiles. 

Not only could the facility be profitable, but it could also reduce the environmental footprint of the oilsands...

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Interesting location as there was speculation it would take up some of the old Target at Polo Park to be near the large Cineplex Theatre there.  I wonder if they'd consider opening theatres at the Tuxedo location too.

The article makes a good point about attracting families.  I took my niece to an indoor playground recently and it was packed but it was sort in the middle of nowhere.  If it was in or near a mall or other shops, I could see it being part of a "day out".

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Tongue in cheek a bit with the idea that as badly as Hydro has been mismanaged, everyone should go.  It sounds like an NDP-heavy board didnt like what the Cons had in store and quit.  Cons will replace them with their own people. 

Thought they did already.

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought they did already.

You are correct.  I withdraw my previous comment.  I thought this was still the NDP board because it noted a Con member did not resign.  This board was appointed by the Premier.  So...this is somewhat baffling.  I wonder how bad things are at Hydro...

38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You are correct.  I withdraw my previous comment.  I thought this was still the NDP board because it noted a Con member did not resign.  This board was appointed by the Premier.  So...this is somewhat baffling.  I wonder how bad things are at Hydro...

Bad, essentially bankrupt thanks to the NDP, wouldn't be surprised to see the for sale sign go up. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/4096609/manitoba-hydros-entire-board-quits/

Premier Brian Pallister said resignations from Manitoba Hydro’s entire board Wednesday came after his office expressed concerns over what he called “persuasion money” the board wanted to give the Manitoba Metis Federation.

Pallister said the board wanted to pay the MMF $70 million dollars to help make construction of a transmission line between Minnesota and Manitoba “go smoother”.

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah when you want to build on Indigenous land, you don't get to do it for free.  And with such an increased capacity for power generation, you kinda need a way to get it to the States.  I wonder what Pallister's plan would be?  Take the land by force?

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yeah when you want to build on Indigenous land, you don't get to do it for free.  And with such an increased capacity for power generation, you kinda need a way to get it to the States.  I wonder what Pallister's plan would be?  Take the land by force?

My initial opinion (which I was going to post) was good on Pallister as we should not be held hostage.  But I felt it was an uneducated opinion about a subject with facets we know nothing about.  So I didnt post it.  I feel your position is much the same.  Maybe $70million is well above other pay-for-use deals.  Maybe there was a threat to disrupt construction and they feel this is extortion.  We dont know.  if Pallister's goal is to get a better deal, then good for him.  We need to know a lot more before we can really judge it. 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My initial opinion (which I was going to post) was good on Pallister as we should not be held hostage.  But I felt it was an uneducated opinion about a subject with facets we know nothing about.  So I didnt post it.  I feel your position is much the same.  Maybe $70million is well above other pay-for-use deals.  Maybe there was a threat to disrupt construction and they feel this is extortion.  We dont know.  if Pallister's goal is to get a better deal, then good for him.  We need to know a lot more before we can really judge it. 

You're right that none of us know the details but the board does & they thought it was a good enough deal to bring forward so that should say something.  It'd be different if they were hold-overs from the NDP but these were all hand picked Pallister people.

There's obviously more going on than just this though if everyone, save the government rep, walked out.

55 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

You're right that none of us know the details but the board does & they thought it was a good enough deal to bring forward so that should say something.  It'd be different if they were hold-overs from the NDP but these were all hand picked Pallister people.

There's obviously more going on than just this though if everyone, save the government rep, walked out.

True, but again we dont know the details.  It sounds like province wanted to replace Riley and the board walked out in support.  Realistically, the province doesnt work for the board. 

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

True, but again we dont know the details.  It sounds like province wanted to replace Riley and the board walked out in support.  Realistically, the province doesnt work for the board. 

Pallister confirmed they were removing him as chair of Hydro but also added  that they offered him another board instead (he declined to say which board) so they couldn't be too unhappy with his performance. 

Pallister is saying it's over the MMF money & Riley says it's several issues... will be interesting to hear from the other board members if/when they decide to comment.  Based on the fact they all walked, I'm guessing we know who's side they believe.