Random News Items

Rich

My understanding is that the issue arose because the airline wanted to place someone in the unused seat, which makes sense.  That's how it should work.  I don't understand why the family couldn't just have the child in their lap like they were originally planning.

The overall handling of the situation by the airline was very poor once it was clear what was happening.  But how are they supposed to know that an unused seat was going to be used by a child who didn't have a seated ticket to begin with?  They would have no clue until they actually saw it happening, in the plane.  By which point the person who had been given the 'unused' seat has already had their luggage loaded and has entered the plane.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

My understanding is that the issue arose because the airline wanted to place someone in the unused seat, which makes sense.  That's how it should work.  I don't understand why the family couldn't just have the child in their lap like they were originally planning.

The overall handling of the situation by the airline was very poor once it was clear what was happening.  But how are they supposed to know that an unused seat was going to be used by a child who didn't have a seated ticket to begin with?  They would have no clue until they actually saw it happening, in the plane.  By which point the person who had been given the 'unused' seat has already had their luggage loaded and has entered the plane.

Ill give you that.  The response should probably have been "sorry, we knew the seat was empty because the ticketed passenger did not arrive so we have sold the seat.  But we will gladly refund you the cost."

46 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ill give you that.  The response should probably have been "sorry, we knew the seat was empty because the ticketed passenger did not arrive so we have sold the seat.  But we will gladly refund you the cost."

Yeah.  I don't know how it could possibly escalate to the point where they are threatening to arrest the passengers.  Just crazy.

This article from Global has more information. The first flight attendant told them they had to give up the seat because it had their son's name on it but a second flight attendant gave them a different story:

A short while later, another Delta employee who introduces herself as Jenna says Delta’s problem isn’t with the name on the ticket, but rather the use of a car seat for their infant son.

“With him being two, he cannot sit in a carseat,” Jenna says. “He has to sit here, in your arms, the whole time.”

“He rode on a car seat the whole flight out here, on a Delta flight,” Schear responds.

This is in direct contravention to the policy on Delta’s own website which encourages parents to bring a car seat for any child two years of age or younger.

“For children under the age of two, we recommend you purchase a seat on the aircraft and use an approved child safety seat,” Delta’s policy reads.

Schear concedes that he and his wife will hold the infant children in their laps, at which point Jenna informs them that they are now going to be removed from the flight.

“So this is where we’re at now at this point: you have the option to have you guys all off the flight, or we’re going to detain the whole aircraft,” Jenna says.

“So we’re getting kicked off now?” Schear responds.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3426771/video-shows-delta-employee-threaten-family-with-jail-time-for-not-leaving-flight/

He also said as they were leaving the plane they could see 4 or 5 people waiting to get on so it looks like it was an over-booked flight. They haven't received any type of compensation from Delta for the hotel and new tickets to get home.

5 hours ago, Jacquie said:

This article from Global has more information. The first flight attendant told them they had to give up the seat because it had their son's name on it but a second flight attendant gave them a different story:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3426771/video-shows-delta-employee-threaten-family-with-jail-time-for-not-leaving-flight/

He also said as they were leaving the plane they could see 4 or 5 people waiting to get on so it looks like it was an over-booked flight. They haven't received any type of compensation from Delta for the hotel and new tickets to get home.

Ahhhhh see... some agent decides they're being difficult and hey, we can sell those 4 seats to other people! 

Ridiculous.  If I was in charge of Delta at this point, I'd be questioning the common sense of my front line staff given the recent public attention.

31 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Haha how can it be this chaotic.... they really need to train their staff better

It does make you wonder what kind of incentives or requirements they're under.  Its easy to think they SHOULD defer to making the customer happy and in many cases they do.  But are they required or incentivized to over-sell and thus generate more revenue? 

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Aaron Hernandez was granted an abatement on his 2015 conviction for the murder of Odin Lloyd, meaning the former New England Patriot is considered not guilty in the eyes of the court.

The speculation being that he knew that and thus his contract would not be voided and thus his daughter would get his money.

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is good for this family and for anyone who hates the Patriots :P

Not so good for the family of the guy Hernandez killed.  This could mess up their civil suit against Hernandez.  Hard to collect from the estate of a guy who is no longer considered guilty of killing their brother/son/father/etc. 

11 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Not so good for the family of the guy Hernandez killed.  This could mess up their civil suit against Hernandez.  Hard to collect from the estate of a guy who is no longer considered guilty of killing their brother/son/father/etc. 

Pretty sure that didn't help O.J. in the civil suit.

14 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Might help them get more money.  If Hernandez' estate collects several million dollars, they will be flush with cash for a civil suit, which they likely lose.

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thats an interesting idea.  Chipman certainly has a vested interest since he owns half of downtown.  Maybe this can dovetail into allowing some "public" drinking too...say, during the Playoffs or other events in some sort of "Square" located near MTSC?

35 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats an interesting idea.  Chipman certainly has a vested interest since he owns half of downtown.  Maybe this can dovetail into allowing some "public" drinking too...say, during the Playoffs or other events in some sort of "Square" located near MTSC?

I assume this was more so for the drunk homeless people that they have to pick up at all times of the day passed out downtown.  

It would be nice to have somewhere (preferably far out of town) where non police can dump off the scary drunks.

The law is enforced..frequently as well.   Many a time I have seen passed out drunks around the Portage Place area.   The guys don't get charged but it definitely wastes the resources of the police and ambulances.      I can't remember the financial amount but the city pays a whole lot every year on ambulance fees for drunks.   

In Regina and Vegas they have in the past bought one way tickets for their frequently drunk homeless people and ship them far away. 

Edited by Brandon

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Wait is this law actually enforced?  You can go around Portage Place at any time of day and see people drinking whiskey straight out of the bottle... not even trying to hide it.

I would suspect its enforced to the degree the police and cadets can keep up with it.  The whole way police work is conducted needs to be over-hauled.  The fact they'd take a harmless drunk guy and spend hours with him waiting to check into the project is ridiculous.

I've had a lot of experience with the police and the amount of time spent *not* on the street is mind blowing.  From writing reports to staying with witnesses/victims etc, one relatively minor call can take hours.  It got to the point that when we'd need the police at our business and they required a statement I'd ask for the statement paper and write it out myself to save time rather then dictate it to the officer and have him write it.

Just now, Brandon said:

I assume this was more so for the drunk homeless people that they have to pick up at all times of the day passed out downtown.  

It would be nice to have somewhere (preferably far out of town) where non police can dump off the scary drunks.

The law is enforced..frequently as well.   Many a times I see passed out drunks around the Portage Place area.   The guys don't get charged but it definitely wastes the resources of the police and ambulances.      I can't remember the financial amount but the city pays a whole lot every year on ambulance fees for drunks.   

In Regina and Vegas they have in the past bought one way tickets for their frequently drunk homeless people and ship them far away. 

Thats not really helping the problem.  And part of the issue in Winnipeg is people coming from far away to escape *that* place and end up in Winnipeg with nowhere to go.  I respect the Mayor and Chipman et al's efforts to find solutions.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I would suspect its enforced to the degree the police and cadets can keep up with it.  The whole way police work is conducted needs to be over-hauled.  The fact they'd take a harmless drunk guy and spend hours with him waiting to check into the project is ridiculous.

I've had a lot of experience with the police and the amount of time spent *not* on the street is mind blowing.  From writing reports to staying with witnesses/victims etc, one relatively minor call can take hours.  It got to the point that when we'd need the police at our business and they required a statement I'd ask for the statement paper and write it out myself to save time rather then dictate it to the officer and have him write it.

I may have heard that in the near future the plan is for all policing agencies to have administrative staff fill out all of the paper work / reports while the officers would then spend much more time away from a desk.