Random News Items

Rich

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If they pull this off, Downtown is going to continue to evolve.  Between this, TNS and Skycity, downtown will be unrecognizable in 5 years.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/40-storey-apartment-tower-planned-for-portage-and-main-373789981.html

Winnipeg-based Artis REIT is said to be in the late stages of planning a towering rental residence at the windy corner, right next door to the nearly four-decades-old 360 Main, which is the city’s third-tallest office building.

The $140-million project would not only include the construction of a 40-storey apartment tower, but the $35 million recladding of 360 Main, the 30-storey office tower formerly known as the Trizec Building, and owned by Artis, the real estate investment trust headed by CEO Armin Martens.

An official announcement of the project is expected as early as next month, but word of the development’s planning has already reached the street. A call to Martens requesting comment on the project went unreturned Monday.

Of course, plans for the soaring structure just south of 360 Main would include a penthouse floor, with panoramic views of The Forks, and beyond. Plus a sub-penthouse level. But at least 10 per cent of the units would be classified as "affordable," which could make the building attractive to at least some of the young Winnipeggers who are among the thousands of people who work at the corner that was named by the Canadian Institute of Planners as one of the Great Places of Canada.

You can live there but can't cross the street.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-elton-john-sexual-harassment-lawsuit-20160329-story.html

Elton John sued for sexual harassment by a former security guard

Elton John has been sued

Elton John performed March 2 at a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton.

(Julie Jacobson / Associated Press)

Elton John is being sued for sexual battery and harrassment by a Los Angeles Police Department Medal of Valor recipient who worked for several years as an off-duty security guard for the singer.

The lawsuit, filed Monday, alleges that from 2002 to September 2014, John innapropriately touched Jeffrey Wenninger on multiple occasions and made sexually suggestive comments, with the incidents "escalating in frequency and intensity after 2010."

Orin Snyder, an attorney for John's Rocket Entertainment Group, called the lawsuit "baseless" and Wenninger "disgruntled" in a statement issued Tuesday.

"This baseless lawsuit is brought by a disgruntled former security officer seeking to extract an undeserved payment. These claims are patently untrue and contradicted by numerous previous statements made by this plaintiff. We will not give into his latest abuse of the legal system," the attorney stated.

The lawsuit details three 2014 incidents alleged to have taken place in John's vehicle as the singer was shuttled to and from his L.A. home that March and April. While sitting near Wenninger, the entertainer on two occasions tried to put his hand in the officer's pants and touch his buttocks and genitalia, the suit alleges. On the third occasion, according to the document, John put his hands in the man's shirt and twisted his nipples.

John is accused to saying things such as "Get your todger out," "Say hello to Uncle Elton," "You gorgeous thing you" and "You have so many gay genes in your, they just haven't met up yet." ("Todger" is British slang for "penis.")

Wenninger tried to resist physically and verbally, the suit says, but it didn't help. He's seeking unspecified monetary damages for his pain and suffering, medical bills and lost income.

Wenninger was given the LAPD Medal of Valor in 2007 — he was a sergeant at the time — in recognition of the effort he and several other officers made in 1996 to rescue dozens of elderly residents from a burning building. He and his partner were the first two police on the scene and entered the burning building more than once.

While numerous outlets referred to Wenninger as a current captain in the LAPD, the department did not immediately respond to a Los Angeles Times request to verify Wenninger's rank and his continued employment.

12 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I posted this as did bearpants i believe in what are you listening to and in this thread, but it's kind of funny G'n'R also released 21 new tour dates, I wonder if they go on tour with AC/DC and Axl does double duty

From what I read they are touring together with AC/DC opening for G'N'R and Axl doing the full show!  They'll also mix and match songs where each band will play each others songs and the guys will be all together for a few songs.

Axl also apparently has dropped a lot of weight.... so this may be a really good concert.

Great news.  Just need True North to buy IGF and we're about done.  I wonder if this will result in TN pushing hard for development and upgrades around the theater also.  (More info at the link).

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/betting-on-the-burt-373830031.html

After two years of running the Burton Cummings Theatre, True North Sports & Entertainment has decided to buy the iconic venue.

Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of venues and entertainment at True North, has been booking shows at the Burt since the spring of 2014 while simultaneously overseeing a never-ending string of renovations to the 109-year-old theatre.

True North has given formal notice to the Walker Theatre Performing Arts Group Inc., the volunteer board that oversees the Burt, that it’s going to exercise its option to buy the building.

"The wheels are turning now. We’re going to own it and operate it. It will be a True North entity," Donnelly said.

The terms of the deal aren’t being released but Donnelly said they take into account the "hundreds of thousands" of dollars True North has invested into the Burt over the course of its two-year lease.

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

From what I read they are touring together with AC/DC opening for G'N'R and Axl doing the full show!  They'll also mix and match songs where each band will play each others songs and the guys will be all together for a few songs.

Axl also apparently has dropped a lot of weight.... so this may be a really good concert.

I never liked Rose back in the eighties. Hearing he has joined AC/DC makes me even dislike him more.  That being said Brian Johnson's voice was nothing but raspy even on his good days. Too bad about Bon Scott.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

We also don't have a population that comes close to 320 million.  So what?

Well it's really the MSP/SP area that we talking about. Hey the Skydome was king for its age. I'm sure it wont be long before people bitching that the roof dont open. Which seems kinda insane nowadays. Weather in MSP good until Nov you'd think.

I wonder if that place gonna be uber hot in summer.

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well it's really the MSP/SP area that we talking about. Hey the Skydome was king for its age. I'm sure it wont be long before people bitching that the roof dont open. Which seems kinda insane nowadays. Weather in MSP good until Nov you'd think.

I wonder if that place gonna be uber hot in summer.

They'll need a billion dollar stadium for baseball & another one for the NFL if Toronto ever gets a team... Even Rogers can't afford that. i know I'll never use a Rogers device....

11 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yowza!  I thought we closed the old Brandon Mental Health Centre years ago lol.  "Love and Harmony"?  This dude sounds more like a rejected Green Party candidate.  If he was running in Brandon East we could blame it on fumes from the Koch Fertilizer Plant :D.  But he's Brandon West, where all the rich folk live.  Don't the Liberals vett their candidates before letting them out to play?  This isn't the first one to flame out this election.  

If the closing the hospitals thing was his only issue, I might buy the publicity stunt excuse.  The love & happiness crap & the strange saying he has plastered on all his signs makes call bulls**t though.  He also admitted he doesn't even know what the party platform is and only decided to run 2 weeks ago.

The Liberals certainly haven't done themselves any favors lately with who they chose to run with (5 disqualified candidates, this guy as well as another candidate who hasn't bothered to learn what the party line is).  They have/had a real chance to establish themselves as a credible alternative in the province for the 1st time since the Sharon Carstairs in the 80's... don't know if that will happen now.

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

If the closing the hospitals thing was his only issue, I might buy the publicity stunt excuse.  The love & happiness crap & the strange saying he has plastered on all his signs makes call bulls**t though.  He also admitted he doesn't even know what the party platform is and only decided to run 2 weeks ago.

The Liberals certainly haven't done themselves any favors lately with who they chose to run with (5 disqualified candidates, this guy as well as another candidate who hasn't bothered to learn what the party line is).  They have/had a real chance to establish themselves as a credible alternative in the province for the 1st time since the Sharon Carstairs in the 80's... don't know if that will happen now.

They're Liberals. Who cares?