Random News Items

Rich

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I would suspect that sympathizers might be more radicalized or more inclined to develop a strong determination to strike back in retaliation.  But as you said, its not like if we ignored them they would embrace a life of peace and harmony.

One of my co-workers, his daughter just told them she has an opportunity to go to Europe as an exchange student.  Where?  You guessed, Belgium.

Last week, I saw an ad for Student interns at NATO. Live in Brussels, see the world, get blown up.

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Much higher chance of being killed in a car accident than by a terrorist no matter the country, bad luck either way.   Brussels is a nice place to visit, can't live life in the shadow of fear.

Don't agree. Saying something like that sugarcoats everything. Putting things down to a person's bad luck when wackos can saunter into the train station,  Brussels airport & set off bombs isn't a good analogy.  We have a huge world wide problem & other than boots on the ground in Syria to take out ISIS (which I think will happen) I don't know the solution. 

Edited by iso_55

9 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Saw that and assumed it was a gag.  But when I read deeper it sounded like just a temporary replacement to finish their tour.  Hearing Axl on ACDC songs would be....interesting.  But if GNR is reuniting for a concert series later this year, you'd think he's got a lot of work ahead of him.  Unless he thinks doing a 10 concert tour with ACDC will help him get ready for his own tour.

12 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

The idea is interesting as a novelty... but for hardcore AC/DC fans waiting to see the band for the last time, this would be a huge let down...

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/open-carry-the-republican-national-convention?cid=sm_fb_msnbc

Open carry at the Republican National Convention?

03/27/16 12:34 PMUPDATED 03/27/16 01:42 PM

A petition for the open carry of firearms at the Republican National Convention has amassed over 32,000 signatures as of Sunday morning.

The convention is scheduled to take place in Cleveland from July 18 to 21 at the Quicken Loans Arena, which bans all weapons on property. While Ohio allows open-carry, the venue’s ban is permitted by state law. 

The petition’s author, known as N A, finds fault with the policy, calling it “a direct affront to the Second Amendment.” Pointing to an article that ranks Cleveland among the United States’ most dangerous cities and mentioning “the possibility of an ISIS terrorist attack,” the author said the Republican National Committee and the Quicken Loans Arena are putting people at risk.

Without the right to protect themselves, those at the Quicken Loans Arena will be sitting ducks, utterly helpless against evil-doers, criminals or others who wish to threaten the American way of life,” the petition reads. “All three remaining Republican candidates have spoken out on the issue and are unified in their opposition to Barack HUSSEIN Obama’s “gun-free zones.’”

The author then called on the Quicken Loans Arena, the National Rifle Association, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, the Republican National Committee and the GOP presidential contenders to act. 

None of the individuals named in the petition immediately responded to a request for comment from NBC News.

On the Sunday morning talk shows, Trump declined to discuss the petition at length.

I have not seen the petition,” Trump said on ABC. “I want to see what it says. I want to read the fine print. I have to see what it says. I’m a very, very strong person for Second Amendment. I think very few people are stronger. And I have to see the petition.”

When host Jonathan Karl asked Trump to put the specific petition aside and delineate more broadly about the notion of delegates carrying firearms at the convention, Trump refused to consider the prospect.

I don’t want to forget the petition,” Trump told Karl. “It’s the first I hear about it — of it, and frankly, you know, nobody is stronger on the Second Amendment than me. But I would like to take a look at it.”

A federal spending bill apportioned $50 million to Cleveland to help with the cost of convention security, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The paper reported that the city has proposed using part of the funds to purchase 2,000 sets of riot gear.

Although the City of Cleveland would not comment on operational security matters, it said in a March 18 statement that it looked forward to a successful convention while “working with our federal, state and local security as well as our business partners.”

yeaaaa that's a great idea... :huh:

On 3/27/2016 at 3:27 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

This has the potential to be the news story of the year.  I hope Quicken Loans lets these brave patriots carry arms on the convention floor and allows nature to take it's course.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This has the potential to be the news story of the year.  I hope Quicken Loans lets these brave patriots carry arms on the convention floor and allows nature to take it's course.

it certainly has grounds for debate, on one had with recent consistent attacks across the world in public places where people gather in big numbers, ones right to protect themselves sounds reasonable, but on the other hand, with the way some of these rally's have gone,  how tragic would they have become had the people fighting actually had weapons on them

I guarantee that should a bunch of people carrying guns end up "protecting themselves", the aftermath will be a lot worse than if one lone nut went on a shooting spree.  Too many of these gun nuts are just ignorant red necks with a chip on their shoulder who think they are heroes living the "cold dead hand" mantra. 

I dont disagree, but would you feel confident in the security at one of these conventions in keeping you safe? it's like shooting fish in a barrel for someone(s) who can manage to get in with something destructive. 

I sometimes wonder how people actually get in their guns and stuff, like when you hear about that paris attack.  I know going to concerts at the MTS center they search you at the gate (same with sporting events). I havent been to the Burt in a while, I can't recall what kind of security they have in place, but is it so hard to wand someone at the doors?

18 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dont disagree, but would you feel confident in the security at one of these conventions in keeping you safe? it's like shooting fish in a barrel for someone(s) who can manage to get in with something destructive. 

I sometimes wonder how people actually get in their guns and stuff, like when you hear about that paris attack.  I know going to concerts at the MTS center they search you at the gate (same with sporting events). I havent been to the Burt in a while, I can't recall what kind of security they have in place, but is it so hard to wand someone at the doors?

Would I feel safe at a political convention?  With a ton of local, state and federal police and secret service?  yes, I'd feel safe.  I'd feel safer there than any regular gathering of a large group.  Aside from the fact its a greater target for an attack, I'd feel pretty safe that should an attack happen, there would be plenty of people to defend me.

Not hard to sneak weapons in anywhere.  When I worked in bars, there were several shootings around town and Canad Inns installed metal detectors.  I actually worked for Canad Inns when they got their first metal detector.  My boss (later, not Canad) came to me and asked if I wanted him to install metal detectors.  I said look, go ahead if you want but I'd rather have a really good video surveillence system.  Both...but if I can only have one, give me the video.  Not only a way better deterrent but also incredibly useful after the fact for everything from shootings to drunks.

The issue is, when you walk into a bar and there is a 20 year old girl they hired because she has nice breasts, not because of her security background, and she's patting you down in a way that demonstrates she has little to no training, its not hard to get a weapon in, if you want it.  Furthermore, most shootings dont happen inside bars.  They happen at the entrance or outside. 

The whole pat down thing is really just a visual deterrent and also to make people feel more at ease.  I dont disagree with it because I remember walking into IGF on opening night and two clowns in front of me were angry they were patted down and one guy produced a large knife and sarcastically said "oh you want this?"  So in that regard, it weeds out the idiots.  But it doesnt weed out the people that really want to get a weapon inside.

If we still have incidents of people sneaking contraband onto airplanes past federally trained security, then the local watering hole isnt safe.

If they pull this off, Downtown is going to continue to evolve.  Between this, TNS and Skycity, downtown will be unrecognizable in 5 years.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/40-storey-apartment-tower-planned-for-portage-and-main-373789981.html

Winnipeg-based Artis REIT is said to be in the late stages of planning a towering rental residence at the windy corner, right next door to the nearly four-decades-old 360 Main, which is the city’s third-tallest office building.

The $140-million project would not only include the construction of a 40-storey apartment tower, but the $35 million recladding of 360 Main, the 30-storey office tower formerly known as the Trizec Building, and owned by Artis, the real estate investment trust headed by CEO Armin Martens.

An official announcement of the project is expected as early as next month, but word of the development’s planning has already reached the street. A call to Martens requesting comment on the project went unreturned Monday.

Of course, plans for the soaring structure just south of 360 Main would include a penthouse floor, with panoramic views of The Forks, and beyond. Plus a sub-penthouse level. But at least 10 per cent of the units would be classified as "affordable," which could make the building attractive to at least some of the young Winnipeggers who are among the thousands of people who work at the corner that was named by the Canadian Institute of Planners as one of the Great Places of Canada.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not sure if this was posted... but Axl Rose is the new lead singer of AC/DC!?

I posted this as did bearpants i believe in what are you listening to and in this thread, but it's kind of funny G'n'R also released 21 new tour dates, I wonder if they go on tour with AC/DC and Axl does double duty

there was an issue a summer or 2 (maybe 3?) ago where the police took someone down at Grand Beach cuz he had one of these phone cases

Gun-Shaped-Iphone-Case.jpg

sticking out of his back pocket. I have no clue how the actual gun above is even legal to market. it's one thing to have a gun,  a totally different thing to have a transformer gun in disguise

the bits of the article I read was the creator of the idea was inspired when he had a concealed gun on him, and it was seen by a child who cried in fear. His logic was to make it a friendlier way to conceal your firearm :rolleyes:

Edited by Taynted_Fayth