UFC

Goalie

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Ben Askren traded to UFC for Mighty Mouse. Weird that they can trade fighters...

Askren vs Khabib would be an amazing display of mma wrestling & grappling! They fight in different weight classes, but they're basically the same size.

I assume the fighters involved were supportive because I doubt you can legally trade a contract between two different companies. lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-10-25 at 2:53 PM, bigg jay said:

MMA agents are (for the most part) shady as hell... they are more concerned about lining their own pockets rather than looking our for their clients best interests.

And what about insurance? Are ringside doctors even able to liability insurance anymore? 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

And what about insurance? Are ringside doctors even able to liability insurance anymore? 

Usually, but not always, they are covered by the commissions regulations.  Here in Manitoba, the promoter is responsible for getting liability insurance that covers the government, commission & all officials (which includes the physicians).

UFC made a new deal with PPV providers to up their take.  Its now a 70-30 split in favour of UFC which is a pretty big deal ($65 million per year or so).   Traditionally, the PPV provider always got the larger take (60-40), even with WWE for awhile.  I believe it was WWE that first pushed it to 50-50 and they had a few battles over wanting a larger take but couldn't make too many in-roads.

With WWE out of the PPV business and boxing down, UFC had leverage.  Good deal for them.

EDIT: Thats likely pure profit also as fighters' deals where they get PPV points is based on buys, not revenue.  So unless UFC increases PPV points or bonuses, this deal is pure profit and quite significant.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

This week's edition of the Wrestling Observer has the history of UFC (its the 25th Anniversary).  Its an amazing look.  Dave is likely the best "observer" of MMA and his stories always include fascinating details you wouldnt usually see in more mainstream publications.  I highly recommend it.

For example, the first UFC event was a bought show by event promoter Zane Bresloff who was WWE's live event promoter (was about to quit and go to WCW) and lost money.

The first UFC PPV with zero TV and zero marketing garnered 86,000 buys on PPV.  The 5th event, still with no TV but with remarkable word of mouth, did 280,000 buys, compared to WWE's WrestleMania at the time doing 300,000-400,000 (with all their TV and marketing).  

The original draw was the idea of seeing which style of fighter would win (Boxer vs Wrestler vs Martial Arts etc).   But when it became clear wrestlers and submission fighters were clearly dominant, interest cooled off.  Royce Gracie dropped out because he knew as soon as guys became more rounded, he'd start losing.

EDIT: When SEG (UFC's parent company) was struggling, they negotiated a sale to Shane McMahon (or more accurately negotiated a sale WITH Shane McMahon for WWE to buy and Shane run it) but Vince nixed it.  He hated it and didnt get it and didnt think you could draw for shoot fights when you didnt control the outcome

Edited by The Unknown Poster

OMG I just watched the fight on youtube...  I think it's safe to say that Liddell won't be fighting the guys he had called out earlier in the week (Rampage, Wanderlei, Sonnen etc..)      He was absolutely gassed 2 minutes in despite only throwing a few light punches and awkwardly backing up and taking only a few light punches in return.     I know age is a big factor but he was so stiff and completely winded with barely any activity going on.   It made Ortiz look like he was lightning quick.