UFC

Goalie

Jon Jones will be lucky to fight in 5 years...

Daniel Cormier might of had the most tragic and hardest life and has overcame absolutely everything.    He is a legit Olympic wrestler and is light years better then anyone else he's ever fought in MMA when it comes to his wrestling.  Only Jon Jones has ever bested him... aside from that he's dominated everyone.    

I understand why they are doing the fight but it's a shame that the heavyweight belt has lost any prestige that it had.     

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Jon Jones will be lucky to fight in 5 years...

Daniel Cormier might of had the most tragic and hardest life and has overcame absolutely everything.    He is a legit Olympic wrestler and is light years better then anyone else he's ever fought in MMA when it comes to his wrestling.  Only Jon Jones has ever bested him... aside from that he's dominated everyone.    

I understand why they are doing the fight but it's a shame that the heavyweight belt has lost any prestige that it had.     

Gustafsson gave DC all he could handle as well.

If DC is smart he'll stay away from wrestling Lesnar and keep it standing. Lesnar has almost no chance to win a standup battle with Cormier.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UFC's parent company Endeavor, purchased the final 10% of outstanding shares from Flash Entertainment, owned by Saudi Arabia.  They wanted it for awhile but the Saudis didnt want to sell.  Based on what Dana White said of UFC being worth $7 billion, it sounds like Endeavor paid $700 million for the 10%.  They now own UFC outright and are considering taking it public.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, JCon said:

Curious timing. Very curious...

Money talks with USADA apparently...  They give out way heavier punishments to lesser known fighters and have essentially ended careers. 

It's a joke at this point. JBJ is a repeat offender and was only tested once since re-entering the doping pool while guys like Cormier, who have never failed a test, get tested 15 times?

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Money talks with USADA apparently...  They give out way heavier punishments to lesser known fighters and have essentially ended careers. 

It's a joke at this point. JBJ is a repeat offender and was only tested once since re-entering the doping pool while guys like Cormier, who have never failed a test, get tested 15 times?

Do you think Jones still carries that much weight in PPV buys?

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think they sure think he does.  And he probably does.  Star power carries weight and he has it.  Its the reason they throw so much money at Brock when he hasnt looked that impressive for awhile and why he'd walk back in and get a title shot.  Its why they signed CM Punk who was 37 or whatever with no fight experience...cause he has star power.  

Cormier doesnt want Jones before Brock.  And Cormier said he'd retire at 40 (next March).  But if UFC can do Cormier/Brock and then Cormier/Jones and then Brock/Jones, thats three massive PPV's over the next year.  Not to mention Jones' return fight against whomever.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think they sure think he does.  And he probably does.  Star power carries weight and he has it.  Its the reason they throw so much money at Brock when he hasnt looked that impressive for awhile and why he'd walk back in and get a title shot.  Its why they signed CM Punk who was 37 or whatever with no fight experience...cause he has star power.  

Cormier doesnt want Jones before Brock.  And Cormier said he'd retire at 40 (next March).  But if UFC can do Cormier/Brock and then Cormier/Jones and then Brock/Jones, thats three massive PPV's over the next year.  Not to mention Jones' return fight against whomever.

I just wonder, after all this time without a decent, relevant fight, if Jones carries the cache he used to. Brock stays in the public eye due to his participation in the WWE. He also is far more of a crossover star, who may be recognizable to those who do not follow UFC or WWE. Does Jones mean anything outside the UFC? Did he gain much crossover attention? 

If Jones can fight at a high level again, those would be an interesting series of fights. 

It's a shame that Jones is even allowed to fight again, at least so soon. 

On 2018-09-20 at 11:43 AM, JCon said:

I just wonder, after all this time without a decent, relevant fight, if Jones carries the cache he used to. Brock stays in the public eye due to his participation in the WWE. He also is far more of a crossover star, who may be recognizable to those who do not follow UFC or WWE. Does Jones mean anything outside the UFC? Did he gain much crossover attention? 

If Jones can fight at a high level again, those would be an interesting series of fights. 

It's a shame that Jones is even allowed to fight again, at least so soon. 

Yes, JBJ still carries weight... there are so few top stars right now that even guys who have been away for a while (see GSP, Brock), will still sell pay per views.  The legit heat between him & DC helps with that and so does being arguably the best fighter in the world.  I'm not sure how much weight his name carries outside of mma though (he's certainly no where near Brock or Conor).

He's still in his prime & this is not his first lengthy layoff (which actually helps as there's less wear & tire on his body) so I have no doubt he'll still be at a very high level.  Based on his history & USADA's previous suspensions for other fighters... he should still be on the shelf though.

On 2018-09-20 at 9:22 AM, JCon said:

I don't think he ever has. He's put up some good numbers, but he's not at the same level as Rousey, GSP, Lesnar, or McGregor. He doesn't have a fight anywhere in the top 20 ppv's for UFC. He's very unlikeable, but not in a marketable way like Chael Sonnen, for example, was.

The McGregor-Khabib press conference yesterday was weird without fans allowed in. I think the UFC made a mistake closing it to the fans. There's so much more energy when there are people cheering them on. They've got enough money to beef up security to keep the two sides apart.

Don't know if any of you saw McGregor arguing with Khabib's manager after the face off, but McGregor was yelling "Where's Noah?" at him. Apparently the guy abandoned his family and owes approx. $40k in child support (for Noah). McGregor certainly does his homework on his opponents.

58 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't think he ever has. He's put up some good numbers, but he's not at the same level as Rousey, GSP, Lesnar, or McGregor. He doesn't have a fight anywhere in the top 20 ppv's for UFC. He's very unlikeable, but not in a marketable way like Chael Sonnen, for example, was.

He's the 6th highest draw all time for the UFC based on total buys and average buys.  Only Conor, GSP, Brock, Ronda and Silva ahead of him.

56 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

The McGregor-Khabib press conference yesterday was weird without fans allowed in. I think the UFC made a mistake closing it to the fans. There's so much more energy when there are people cheering them on. They've got enough money to beef up security to keep the two sides apart.

Don't know if any of you saw McGregor arguing with Khabib's manager after the face off, but McGregor was yelling "Where's Noah?" at him. Apparently the guy abandoned his family and owes approx. $40k in child support (for Noah). McGregor certainly does his homework on his opponents.

There's a huge amount of crazy **** with Ali.  The child support is minor in comparison.  Most mma media won't report on it though because he controls access to a very large number of fighters and reporters won't risk losing that.

24 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

There's a huge amount of crazy **** with Ali.  The child support is minor in comparison.  Most mma media won't report on it though because he controls access to a very large number of fighters and reporters won't risk losing that.

Yeah, apparently he also had ties to a terrorist organization...weird. There are some shady characters in the fight game.