UFC

Goalie

The night was fully worth it the moment Nordine Taleb absolutely destroyed Silva after the cheapshot Silva took in round 1.       Absolutely dishonorable when someone signals to touch gloves and then pulls off a cheap shot when the opponent does.

I don't think Tate winning is a shocker,   Holm barely passed her earlier opponents and it was well known that she has no ground game.  

Same goes with McGregor... how many guys go from 145 to 170 and succeed?   He was in way over his head.  

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The night was fully worth it the moment Nordine Taleb absolutely destroyed Silva after the cheapshot Silva took in round 1.       Absolutely dishonorable when someone signals to touch gloves and then pulls off a cheap shot when the opponent does.

I don't think Tate winning is a shocker,   Holm barely passed her earlier opponents and it was well known that she has no ground game.  

Same goes with McGregor... how many guys go from 145 to 170 and succeed?   He was in way over his head.  

Agreed with everything except for McGregor he cuts weigh to get down to 145, that's why he has been so successful he actually fights at a higher weight than most of his opponents.

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Agreed with everything except for McGregor he cuts weigh to get down to 145, that's why he has been so successful he actually fights at a higher weight than most of his opponents.

Almost every fighter cuts weight though not just Connor.  He was definitely the smaller fighter last night and had trouble with Nate's reach right from the start.

No doubt about it every mma fighter does it but McGregor has been known to cut 20-25 pounds which is not normal, last night he jumped up 2 weight classes fought a guy the same size weight wise and paid for it.

Edited by bustamente

I didnt watch the fight, but a buddy at the party i was at last night was sneaking off to watch and came back happy and excited McGregor lost, so i looked up a little highlight clip today

I guess i would need to watch more of the match to assess properly, but looks like Diaz was the one all busted up, not really mcgregor. they look pretty winded in a lot of this highlight clip tho

He was winning the fight early on but then went to the same set of moves way to often , gassed out,  got hit hard once and that was the end.  

He has no business fighting at welterweight,    lightweight is where he should be.  

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

No doubt about it every mma fighter does it but McGregor has been known to cut 20-25 pounds which is not normal, last night he jumped up 2 weight classes fought a guy the same size weight wise and paid for it.

A 20-25 lb weight cut is pretty common actually.  For example, most of the flyweights (125 lbs) in the UFC walk around at 140-145 lbs.    You probably won't see many more people making big weight cuts anymore though, due to the new ban on IV rehydration.  Guys are going to have to watch their weight way more inbetween fights to keep their walk around weight down or move up in weight classes.

It is ridiculous that everyone does the cut which at best is just not good for your body and at worst can be dangerous for your health.

If everyone does it, why not just redefine the weight classes to be closer to people's walking around weight and have them weigh in weekly for a number of weeks leading up to the fight.

There would be no real net change if everyone stopped cutting.

12 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Almost every fighter cuts weight though not just Connor.  He was definitely the smaller fighter last night and had trouble with Nate's reach right from the start.

McGregor was kicking his ass in the first round. The problem was that Diaz was big enough and had a good enough chin to take it. I don't think anybody in the featherweight division would have survived that round. He gassed in the 2nd and Diaz took over on him.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It is ridiculous that everyone does the cut which at best is just not good for your body and at worst can be dangerous for your health.

If everyone does it, why not just redefine the weight classes to be closer to people's walking around weight and have them weigh in weekly for a number of weeks leading up to the fight.

There would be no real net change if everyone stopped cutting.

The fighter's health is one of the reasons for the IV ban.  If they can't rehydrate as fast after a big weight cut, they aren't going to cut as much.  The amount of weight they put back on in 24 hours after weigh-ins is just as insane as how much they cut in the 1st place.

They'll never completely get rid of weight cutting though as fighters will always look for whatever advantage they can get.

22 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

McGregor was kicking his ass in the first round. The problem was that Diaz was big enough and had a good enough chin to take it. I don't think anybody in the featherweight division would have survived that round. He gassed in the 2nd and Diaz took over on him.

Conor absolutely won the 1st round but if you look at the way he was throwing a lot of his punches, Nate's height/reach was an issue.  He often had to jump into his punches to get into range... definitely not an energy-efficient way of fighting, especially when the guy is able to eat those shots like that.

He's definitely more suited for featherweight, but the big weight cut probably makes that unlikely in the long run.  Lightweight would be interesting because he'll still run into guys like Diaz.

Just going to put this here since the other MMA threads have been buried.

Vyron Phillips (a Minnesota native who moved to Winnipeg to train) is going to be boxing Roy Jones Jr on March 20th.  Phillips won a contest that was originally supposed to be RJJ against an average fan but the commission said the contest winner needed a pro fighting record.  Vyron will definitely be the underdog but I'm not so sure he doesn't have a chance against a way past his prime RJJ.  He's a pretty good athlete (went to university on a basketball scholarship) with heavy hands and huge reach (like Jon Jones type reach). 

It's an interesting card that combines boxing, mma, grappling & wrestling including the following match-ups:

Tank Abbott vs Dan Severn (MMA), Chael Sonnen vs Michael Bisping (grappling) & Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio (wrestling).  Jim Ross will be doing the color commentary for the card

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/8/11177856/roy-jones-jr-opponent-announced-ur-fight-sonnen-bisping-tank-abbott-dan-severn

Interesting rumour has GSP coming back to fight Nate Diaz. Unless GSP comes back out of shape, or gets caught in a choke while ground and pounding him,  I can't see him losing this fight. He dominated Nick, and he's a better fighter than Nate is.

I really think his plan was to fight McGregor, but his loss ruined that idea.

18 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Just going to put this here since the other MMA threads have been buried.

Vyron Phillips (a Minnesota native who moved to Winnipeg to train) is going to be boxing Roy Jones Jr on March 20th.  Phillips won a contest that was originally supposed to be RJJ against an average fan but the commission said the contest winner needed a pro fighting record.  Vyron will definitely be the underdog but I'm not so sure he doesn't have a chance against a way past his prime RJJ.  He's a pretty good athlete (went to university on a basketball scholarship) with heavy hands and huge reach (like Jon Jones type reach). 

It's an interesting card that combines boxing, mma, grappling & wrestling including the following match-ups:

Tank Abbott vs Dan Severn (MMA), Chael Sonnen vs Michael Bisping (grappling) & Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio (wrestling).  Jim Ross will be doing the color commentary for the card

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/8/11177856/roy-jones-jr-opponent-announced-ur-fight-sonnen-bisping-tank-abbott-dan-severn

That's quite a lineup...

The Nate/GSP stuff is coming straight from GSP's coach so it could very well happen.

Conflict of interest? Seriously? :blink:

These aren't NHL players where there's a collective agreement all parties have to follow.  They are independent contractors who are lining up more work after their current gig is up.  TNA had him under contract until a certain date, what he does after that is (and when he made those arrangements) is his business not theirs.  Do you think construction companies can't/don't line up their next job until their current one is finished?

I guess when you put it like that, then ok, i would have figured though that even if these are independent contractors, the companies would want to protect their assets in case they suddenly want to extend or renegotiate..ect instead of them kinda jumping into someone else bed before their contract is up. i guess i was thinking more like cfl contracts and such

They can still re-sign Angle if they can agree on something, regardless of him working this show.  This is a one time event from what I understand not an on-going thing so it's not like Angle is now tied up long term or something.  

TNA has, at least in the past, allowed their workers to take indy bookings even while under contract.  TUP has booked quite a few guys to work his shows here while they were still working for TNA (although from what I've heard/read that might need a thread of it's own! :D).