UFC

Goalie

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Watch Dana give Conor a title shot despite beating a guy that is completely shot and had lost his last 2 by KO within the last 7 months.....

It's not like they adhere to any standards when it comes to title fights, it's all about money...Romero & Aldo are both getting title fights despite being on 2 fight losing streaks.

Rumour is that Usman might be "hurt" so they're looking at an interim title fight between Conor & Masvidal (aka this fight will bring in more money than Usman vs anybody would).

GSP could be an option now for Conor.  Dana was skeptical about Conor at 170 but says he has no doubts after this past weekend.  The UFC is also trying to figure out the best card to bring back to Montreal since they haven't been there in 5 years... that would be one of the 2 fights (GSP/Khabib would be the other) that would guarantee a sell-out.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

GSP could be an option now for Conor.  Dana was skeptical about Conor at 170 but says he has no doubts after this past weekend.  The UFC is also trying to figure out the best card to bring back to Montreal since they haven't been there in 5 years... that would be one of the 2 fights (GSP/Khabib would be the other) that would guarantee a sell-out.

McGregor-GSP is way down the list of fights I want to see. If GSP doesn't get to fight Khabib, I'd rather see him just retire. Nobody else is that interesting for him, imo.

Fights that are the most interesting to me:

GSP vs Khabib

Tony Ferguson vs Khabib

McGregor vs Masvidal / Khabib / Ferguson / Gaethje / Diaz

Jones vs Stipe

30 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

McGregor-GSP is way down the list of fights I want to see. If GSP doesn't get to fight Khabib, I'd rather see him just retire. Nobody else is that interesting for him, imo.

The fight would draw a tonne of eyes from the casual fans.     The fight itself would be probably a more boring repeat of the Khabib - McGregor fight.  

26 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Fights that are the most interesting to me:

GSP vs Khabib

Tony Ferguson vs Khabib

McGregor vs Masvidal / Khabib / Ferguson / Gaethje / Diaz

Jones vs Stipe

I'd also rather see Khabib vs GSP but I have no real desire to see Khabib/Conor 2.  I think that one goes down the exact same way as the 1st fight.  GSP/Conor might be a more competitive match up... GSP has (had?) the wrestling but he doesn't really maul you on the ground the way Khabib does. 

My top 3 (in no particular order) would be:

GSP/Khabib

Tony/Khabib

Nate/Khabib

25 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I'd also rather see Khabib vs GSP but I have no real desire to see Khabib/Conor 2.  I think that one goes down the exact same way as the 1st fight. 

I want to see it again, but after McGregor has another fight or two. I think McGregor puts up a better effort if he stays busy leading up to that fight.

59 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I want to see it again, but after McGregor has another fight or two. I think McGregor puts up a better effort if he stays busy leading up to that fight.

My concern with that plan would be that we probably don't see it happen for a long time.   Conor has only fought twice in the last 3 years so at that pace we wouldn't see a rematch until about 2026, and that's assuming he wins those in between fights.

I agree he would most likely do better the next time around but it's just such a bad match for him style-wise (tbf Khabib is a bad match for just about everyone).

• 3 weeks later...

MMA related:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulgift/2020/02/04/legacy-fighting-alliance-lfa-sues-axs-tv-anthem-breach-of-contract-mma-news/#6930b65a2a17

AXS is owned by Anthem,  the parent of Impact wrestling and owned by Leo Asper.  Legacy Fighting wants $700,000 for breach of contract.

“They did us dirty, but it is what it is,” said LFA CEO Ed Soares of AXS TV last November.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...