UFC

Goalie

More info:

The flat fee ESPN is paying UFC is believed to be inline with what they've earned from US PPV sales the past few years.  That makes it a very good deal for UFC because it eliminates the roller-coaster of up and down buy rates.  And for a major company like Endeavor (UFC's parent) who are likely to go public at some point, they like consistency.  It also protects UFC from the lack of big stars or guys getting injured.

The point that ESPN can decide the PPV price adds to this.  UFC wanted a larger cut from the cable companies, so if instead, they're getting basically the same cut from ESPN, they traded a potential increase (which the cable companies would have fought against) in return for stability and consistency.  It still works to UFC's favour to have increased buys because they get a cut of buys above the "average".

UFC did about $185 million in PPV revenue in 2018

UFC and ESPN extended their deal from 2023 to 2025.  Both sides are happy.

Dana White extended his deal to 2025 as well and gets a cut of yearly profits.  That dude is rich.

The cable companies lose big time, missing out on upwards of $200 million per year they can't otherwise replace.

As noted, ESPN sets the price and can release the numbers.  UFC is barred from releasing buy rates.  About 75% of PPV's are ordered through TV even with streaming options so there is a leap of faith that fans will follow them to ESPN+.

- Meltzer

Probably best for him to retire while his brand isn't completely tarnished.    The guy was talented but nowhere near the level of someone like Jon Jones or GSP.   If he kept fighting in the UFC he would of been soundly beat by a lot of the top guys.

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Probably best for him to retire while his brand isn't completely tarnished.    The guy was talented but nowhere near the level of someone like Jon Jones or GSP.   If he kept fighting in the UFC he would of been soundly beat by a lot of the top guys.

He's soundly beaten a lot of the top guys. Poirier, Aldo, Holloway, Mendes, Alvarez. His only losses were to Diaz at a weight he had no business fighting at, and Khabib, who's probably the best lightweight ever.

Of the current fighters at lightweight, the only guy I can't see him ever beating is Khabib.

Just now, bigg jay said:

We'll see if this retirement lasts longer than his last one.  He has the money (at least right now) to walk away and never look back but time will tell.

He can feed his family but can he feed his ego? I doubt it. 

This "retirement" is about attention and money. 

Observer:

The New York Times reported Tuesday that former UFC double champion Conor McGregor is under investigation for a sexual assault that took place in Dublin in December of 2018.

The Times reported that four people familiar with the investigation have confirmed rumors that were somewhat well known within the sports world in Ireland, but couldn't be reported because Irish laws do not allow identifying individuals charged with rape until conviction.

The story said McGregor was arrested in January, questioned at the time, and was then released.

A McGregor spokesperson released a brief statement to media members:

"This story has been circulating for some time and it is unclear why it is being reported now. The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement today is related to this rumor is absolutely false. Should Conor fight in the future it must be in an environment where fighters are respected for their value, their skill, their hard work and their dedication to the sport."

Dating back to December and January, parts of this story were making the rounds in Irish media. The Irish Mirror reported that a famous sports star was accused of a sexual assault in a Dublin Hotel on December 10th with police confirming a complaint of rape was made by a women in an early hours incident.

In January, there were reports of a well-known sports star who was arrested and claimed when talking to police that it was consensual sex. The Independent claimed the man was released without a charge but a source said it was a very credible case. They said the suspect admitted having sex, and the woman underwent a number of tests after being taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

The NYT listed the location as the Beacon Hotel in Dublin. McGregor was reportedly an occasional guest there, usually staying at the hotel's lone penthouse room. He was last booked in the hotel in December.

The story listed a source with knowledge of the investigation that police have secured closed-circuit camera footage.

The NYT stated, and we can confirm, that media in Ireland had barred employees at meetings from even hinting at a name past using the term "famous sportsman".

RTE had an internal memo that leaked out on January 18 which said McGregor was at the police station at 5 PM the previous day, but on its' broadcasts, they covered a man being questioned on a a rape charge without listing his name.

• 1 month later...

That Greg Hardy fight had to have been a fixed/worked fight right?  This fight looked exactly like a Bob Sapp fight.

I have no idea on why the UFC would put him in the co main event ,  the guy is absolutely terrible.   His opponent tonight literally didn't fight back and made zero effort in defending himself or doing anything.

I don't see any point in why they are pushing this guy? Nobody likes him and nobody cares...  this was almost as low as the CM punk fights...

Edited by Brandon

On 2019-04-30 at 8:52 PM, bigg jay said:

Might be more to the story.  Apparently, Brock provided UFC with a price they wouldnt pay and thus Dana's "he's done" statement.  Since PPV isnt something talent can leverage like they could in the past, Brock wanted a larger flat fee.  Draws like Brock arent as important to UFC under the new ESPN deal so they balked.

If I was ESPN, I'd want Brock though.  So you never know.  But Brock isnt going to do it for anything less than a big big payday.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Might be more to the story.  Apparently, Brock provided UFC with a price they wouldnt pay and thus Dana's "he's done" statement.  Since PPV isnt something talent can leverage like they could in the past, Brock wanted a larger flat fee.  Draws like Brock arent as important to UFC under the new ESPN deal so they balked.

If I was ESPN, I'd want Brock though.  So you never know.  But Brock isnt going to do it for anything less than a big big payday.

And there in lies the problem with the deal. UFC isn't going to cut into their profit, when they have a fixed deal. Yes, they have an interest in keeping the ratings high but, with the constant turnover, can look to build other draws for future pay-per-view earnings. 

ESPN wants the maximum number views on each card to gain new subscribers. But, will they be willing to dip into their cash to make this happen? 

I don't see this arrangement working out very well, TBH. I guess we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

And there in lies the problem with the deal. UFC isn't going to cut into their profit, when they have a fixed deal. Yes, they have an interest in keeping the ratings high but, with the constant turnover, can look to build other draws for future pay-per-view earnings. 

ESPN wants the maximum number views on each card to gain new subscribers. But, will they be willing to dip into their cash to make this happen? 

I don't see this arrangement working out very well, TBH. I guess we'll see. 

I think UFC and ESPN would have to get together.  Similar to how SPIKE TV foot the bill for some big names going to TNA (like Sting etc) because while the promotion certainly benefited, the carrier benefited even more.

There is no pressure on UFC to bring in a big draw like Brock.  But ESPN certainly wants the big draws.  

If Brock leaves USADA testing, then its probably over.  If he doesnt, its just a public negotiation.  But Brock also doesnt need the money and still has WWE to fall back on.  And with AEW, he has a new leverage point to use against Vince if he so desires.  Paul & Brock showing up on AEW TV would be something...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a fan of Masvidal since his Kimbo Slice video days.  It's nice to see someone who's been around that long, finally get an opportunity to make some bigger money.

I'm torn on the Diaz brothers... some of the stuff they do/say is ridiculous but love them or hate them, that's 100% who they are (unlike the Colby's & the Chael's out there).  In the cage they are legit so I never count them out of a fight, all depends on how motivated they are.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's got some name value (for better or worse) and he fights at heavyweight where talent is always scarce. 

They hope that, given his natural athletic ability, he can develop into something special.  I'm not convinced yet, based on what I've seen so far and the favourable match-ups they've given him.

Heavyweight division succcccccccccks,  I don't mind having Hardy but F off on having him on a main card.   He's perfect for the prelims on free tv type of fights.     

He will never challenge for a belt but he can have some fun fights along the way. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...