UFC

Goalie

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That half a million is his flat fee, not including any bonuses.  So if he moved PPV buys, he will be getting even more.  Gall got $30,000.

iirc it sold 750k ppv sales. Which is good, but not RR/gsp/brock good by any means. And it also had 2 heavy weight fights with name brand fighters and the hw title bout. Which allways brings more sells then it should. The way the ufc has done bonuses in the past have been pretty crazy though. Very arbitrary, though a big performance often brings more money. Gall probably got a nice lil bonus. 

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Bottom line. CM Punk is why most people watched or ordered that ppv. That's the bottom line and that's why he made 500k.  You know what the difference between CM Punk and those guys who fought for sandwiches is? People know who Punk Is. 

no. The heavy weights allways bring a big draw, especially HW belt. And it wasnt a particularly special draw at that. The difference is punks face looked like a sloppy joe sandwich after his fight xD

No way he took a dive.  But I think he expected to start with some stand up.  Gall was wise to charge in and take him down.

Punk's deal surely made arrangements for a percentage above a certain buy.  So its all buys over 750,000, he'd get a bonus at that point.  Usually, there are immediate numbers and then complete PPV numbers come out awhile later.  At $500,000 UFC clearly thought Punk would be a draw.  Its one thing to say "Im quitting a lucrative business to start at the bottom of a sport to live my dream" when its actually for half a million dollars and you're wink wink given a license to do something you have zero business doing.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No way he took a dive.  But I think he expected to start with some stand up.  Gall was wise to charge in and take him down.

Punk's deal surely made arrangements for a percentage above a certain buy.  So its all buys over 750,000, he'd get a bonus at that point.  Usually, there are immediate numbers and then complete PPV numbers come out awhile later.  At $500,000 UFC clearly thought Punk would be a draw.  Its one thing to say "Im quitting a lucrative business to start at the bottom of a sport to live my dream" when its actually for half a million dollars and you're wink wink given a license to do something you have zero business doing.

I think the UFC paid Toney $500 000 to take his dive. 

Are you sure about the no way for CM taking a dive?  He had zero chance on the ground with Gall and everywhere was predicting that Gall would take him down and finish him off with a choke.    Any coach would of trained Punk to at least not walk straight up to him completely upright (easiest way to get taken down) and would of at least trained him to attempt to fight with the takedown in mind.  

He either took a dive to get an easy half a million... or he is the absolute worst fighter ever to enter the UFC... this includes Toney and the guys from the first events back 20 years ago. 

51 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Are you sure about the no way for CM taking a dive?  He had zero chance on the ground with Gall and everywhere was predicting that Gall would take him down and finish him off with a choke.    Any coach would of trained Punk to at least not walk straight up to him completely upright (easiest way to get taken down) and would of at least trained him to attempt to fight with the takedown in mind.  

He either took a dive to get an easy half a million... or he is the absolute worst fighter ever to enter the UFC... this includes Toney and the guys from the first events back 20 years ago. 

Worst fighter.  No dive.  No reason to take a dive and risk that coming out.  Punk is an ******* but he's a proud *******.  He also "fended off" (loosely) a couple of submission attempts.  He just got caught.  Probably nerves.  Look at the mistake Brock made in his first fight and he blamed nerves and this was Brock Lesnar.  Punk was probably twice as nervous because he had never fought AND he knew he was going to get killed and so many wanted to see him fail.

If he was being paid to dive, he would have done a better job building the fight.  In Punk's mind, this was very serious and real.  He just sucked.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

He didnt have a chance on the feet either. Clearly not a dive. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

100% not a dive.  Just a guy who had no business whatsoever being in there.  Gall is a legit bjj brown belt while Punk would be a white belt and it showed.  If you saw any of the footage of Punk sparring, his "technique" left a lot to be desired.  This was going to be the result 10 out of 10 times.  Training at a gym known for their stand-up and having wrestling as their kryptonite (see Anthony Pettis) didn't help much either.

You are correct that James Toney also received 500k though.  He also tapped before he took a beating while Punk took some solid shots before the choke.

43 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Toney looked every bit as bad as Punk did, although I suppose he was in there with a much better fighter.

not just that they put a boxer against a wrestler. If james toney had fought some one like chuck it would have been a better fight, though fat toney would still have gotten crushed. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

not just that they put a boxer against a wrestler. If james toney had fought some one like chuck it would have been a better fight, though fat toney would still have gotten crushed. 

Toney also trained very little (if at all) for that fight... Punk had been training for 2 years for his fight.  

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Toney also trained very little (if at all) for that fight... Punk had been training for 2 years for his fight.  

toney was also a world champion boxer who fought multiple divisions. He got fat going up, but was still gifted and experienced. Punk looked physically more sloppy then any WW in the ufc. Idk how much of those 2 years he trained with all the injuries, but he didnt seem to gain much from it. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

toney was also a world champion boxer who fought multiple divisions. He got fat going up, but was still gifted and experienced. Punk looked physically more sloppy then any WW in the ufc. Idk how much of those 2 years he trained with all the injuries, but he didnt seem to gain much from it. 

I agree.  Hard to believe Punk trained that long with a reputable camp.  He showed nothing.  And the rumors throughout his camp was that he showed nothing in every sparring session.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree.  Hard to believe Punk trained that long with a reputable camp.  He showed nothing.  And the rumors throughout his camp was that he showed nothing in every sparring session.

yeah. when a camp talks about how "tough" a guy is, that tends to mean hes getting beat on by every one and not stopping when he should. Charged in like he thought he was johnny hendricks on the juice too. 

Punk also didn't make a great choice in training camps.  He should have gone somewhere more well-rounded.  Duke Roufus is a great striking coach but wrestling (or even just takedown defense) is not what they are known for.  Duke, it would seem, knew Punk wasn't ready but basically shrugged his shoulders and said why not let him live out his dream?

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Forbes is reporting a big buy rate attributable to Punk. Over $40 mm. 

So....seems like the wrestling audience tuned in. 

idk how you accurately gauge how many ppl bought a ppv to watch a certain fight. Considering 500k ppv sales at 60 bucks is 30,000,000 I dont see that being true. Last i heard it had around 650k sales. which is 39m total. I dont think theyve had a sub 300k draw in a long while. Id say at most half of that would probably be the case. Certainly bellator will give him a call now that he is reportedly done in the ufc. And im sure they can dig up a few legit soup cans for him to fight. I dont know if he will ever have that kind of mma draw again though, after the beating by gall. Especially if gall doesnt go any where him self. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

idk how you accurately gauge how many ppl bought a ppv to watch a certain fight. Considering 500k ppv sales at 60 bucks is 30,000,000 I dont see that being true. Last i heard it had around 650k sales. which is 39m total. I dont think theyve had a sub 300k draw in a long while. Id say at most half of that would probably be the case. Certainly bellator will give him a call now that he is reportedly done in the ufc. And im sure they can dig up a few legit soup cans for him to fight. I dont know if he will ever have that kind of mma draw again though, after the beating by gall. Especially if gall doesnt go any where him self. 

They've had 2 sub 300k PPV's in the last year.  201 (Woodley vs Lawler) had 240k & 192 (Cormier vs Gustafsson) had 250k.  There was a 3rd (195 Lawler vs Condit) that was right on the 300k mark so the actual numbers could have been less.  The early estimates for 203 are between 650-800k.

If the predictions hold true for the 203 numbers, then I don't think you can deny Punk had a huge affect on that. Even Meltzer says he under estimated the wrestling crowd and that's his business. The problem for the UFC is that it's a one time bump and with Punk's performance, it won't happen again so how do they keep those numbers going?  Outside of Rousey & McGregor, nobody is pulling in those kinds of numbers.

The analysts figure it out.  For example, in the Forbes article they went with Dave Meltzer who said anything over 270,000 buys would be attributable to Punk.  He had the show, without Punk, to do 300,000 at the best.  And thats using recent events, trends and past draws.

Edit: Some reports indicate Punk's PPV bonus kick in at the 250,000 buys mark.  So anything over that and he gets a percentage. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

CM Punk was so bad that no matter who they found to enter the octagon they would of smashed him up.   Even Fred Ettish would of whooped his a$$.

Elite XC was smart with Kimbo when they had him fighting complete jobbers and build him up until he was exposed against Seth Petruzelli (by accident). 

UFC will not be able to milk the CM Punk freakshow at all.   Unless.... they go overseas and have him fight against Ken Shamrock in a catch weight fight...

They won't go that route but if they did, they wouldn't even need to go overseas.  

The UFC put this fight in Ohio for a reason and Texas approved the weight difference between Gracie & Shamrock so they would probably approve that one too!  There are a few commissions that kind of do their own thing and are usually avoided like the plague (if you noticed, none of the well known refs like Big John or Herb Dean worked 203 because of Ohio's reputation).  

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

CM Punk was so bad that no matter who they found to enter the octagon they would of smashed him up.   Even Fred Ettish would of whooped his a$$.

Elite XC was smart with Kimbo when they had him fighting complete jobbers and build him up until he was exposed against Seth Petruzelli (by accident). 

UFC will not be able to milk the CM Punk freakshow at all.   Unless.... they go overseas and have him fight against Ken Shamrock in a catch weight fight...

I think their point was not to be too overly protective.  In the sense, if they lined up a sucker for Punk, it undermines UFC.  The point was, sure, this guy has no business here but if he wants to come give it a shot, he will have to face a legit fighter.  I think the thought was Punk would lose but if he looked like he had anything then fans would follow his story.  Unfortunately, he showed nothing at all.

Punk will likely take home over a million dollars.  And getting beat that bad, at his age, I dont know if I buy he wants to continue.  Unless his pride thing is in proving he can get better.  It wont just be the money or he'd stay in WWE or take some pay days to wrestle for TNA or New Japan.  He will surely have some offers whether its UFC again or another MMA.  But the better option might be as the main event of a TV event and pop a rating.