UFC

Goalie

Brock Lesnar is a known name and a guy that the casual person would know...

I don't see CM punk being a draw... any non wrestling fan will have no clue who he is and will have zero interest since he's a tiny old guy. He doesn't have the freakshow factor like Brock has.

Yep, the news came out about a week ago.  He'll actually be fighting out of Maryfield, Sk (it's just south of Moosomin) and not Regina.  His brother has/had a farm there and Brock really enjoyed spending time there so he bought his own place.  In 2013, he was talking about getting dual citizenship so he could live there full time.

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Just not the health care system.

I think that was more specific to Brandon.  And probably rightfully so considering he lived near Minneapolis and being wealthy (and a local star) likely meant he was used to a certain level of service.  Imagine him having to sit in the HSC ER for 8 hours some saturday night.  He would have started F5'ing people out of frustration and anger.  I bet Brandon isnt as bad, but I bet its just as long with even less resources than Winnipeg.

That was also 7 years ago and was his 1st experience with the Canadian health care system.  He's since backed off his initial comments and is more understanding of how things work.  

He must not have that big of a concern if he wants to raise his kids here.  He  also has the means to just go back down south & pay for things he doesn't want to or can't wait for.  Best of both worlds really.

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That was also 7 years ago and was his 1st experience with the Canadian health care system.  He's since backed off his initial comments and is more understanding of how things work.  

He must not have that big of a concern if he wants to raise his kids here.  He  also has the means to just go back down south & pay for things he doesn't want to or can't wait for.  Best of both worlds really.

Many northern states' residents see Canada as very similar to their American lifestyle.  If I recall Brock's big issue was that he was in intense pain and couldnt understand why he couldnt get a CT Scan immediately.  But like you said, he's surely be going back to the US for any major health concerns.  Also, if I recall, his brother lived up here for years prior to Brock...somewhere near Brandon as I remember hearing about him attending WWE shows in Brandon.

On 6/13/2016 at 11:27 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Just not the health care system.

to be fair lots of wealthy people dont like the system. Or people at the hospital in severe pain.

Can you imagine if we had gotten him and with NI papers to boot back in the day? Crazy. He's been hunting in sask/mb for ages. I think it was his brother was involved with high life hogs for a while he and his family have been around the prairies for ages. Him wearing the maple leaf is like a lot of pro athletes and Olympians who immigrated here as adults. Happy to have em and it says a lot that they were born else where and chose to come here and become canadian. 

The ottawa card has 1 great fight on it and a bunch of meh but ive been dying waiting for that one fight.  200 is gonna be good its a great summer for ufc.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Didn't the Bombers have his neg rights?  He wasn't going to play anything less than the NFL.  He's the type who sees a challenge and either overcomes it or fails and moves on.  The Vikings liked his athleticism and asked him to play in Europe and he said no.  If I recall...

We did, one of tamans reach exceeds his grasp moves. He was among the very last cuts for the vikings. He was offered a spot in NFLe, and there was talk of him being put on the PR.  4.65 40 30 reps of 225, 10' standing long jump, and 35" vert. Though at a regional combine he put up 44 reps of 225 that was with a 4.7 40. for a then 6'2 285lbs guy its insane. He was a once in a generation level athlete. If he had stuck to football or mma he could have been up there with herschel walker and bo jackson. Instead he's more tony mandarich. 

*we have wr's and rbs in camp who didnt have that good a 40/vert/long jump. And brock had none of the practiced combine skills as was apparent with the fluctuation in his performances at vikings/regional/national combine.

Edited by wbbfan

I would assume the Pride stuff would be included (at least in the one deal that was confirmed to be for 100% of the company).

I don't think they would resurrect the Pride brand but who knows?  There are Asian investors in both deals so that might be something that appeals to them.  If not, maybe some cooperation between them & Rizin like Pride & the UFC did for a while?

One huge potential factor in their willingness to sell is the plans to amend the Ali Act to cover MMA.  It would force the UFC to change many of the ways they currently do business (and not in a good way for them).  They have hired so high powered lobbyists to fight the proposed changes.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Interesting development.  I guess the brothers are businessmen who see this as a massive return on investment.  But Im not sure I wouldnt want to just keep making money and own it.  Hard to turn down $4b though.  So that would give Dana White about $400m. 

4 Billion dollars.... you just don't turn that down ...  

Also the MMA bubble could (or may have already) popped...  I'm not sure if it will ever get any bigger then what it currently is at. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

4 Billion dollars.... you just don't turn that down ...  

Also the MMA bubble could (or may have already) popped...  I'm not sure if it will ever get any bigger then what it currently is at. 

Its been bigger with GSP and brock to say the least. Its past the point of being a bubble issue. It will be as big as the fighters it promotes. I may never be what boxing was in the 90s with tyson or the early 70s but with new generations of pure mma trained fighters instead of fighters of other disciplines trying to adapt the product will only grow.

If anyone still had thoughts of Fedor finally signing with the UFC, his fight today against Fabio Maldonado should put those to rest.

It will go down in the books as a win for him but it would have been a 1st round TKO loss had the fight been anywhere but Russia. Suspect reffing and judging.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:46 PM, bigg jay said:

Yep, the news came out about a week ago.  He'll actually be fighting out of Maryfield, Sk (it's just south of Moosomin) and not Regina.  His brother has/had a farm there and Brock really enjoyed spending time there so he bought his own place.  In 2013, he was talking about getting dual citizenship so he could live there full time.

When he originally got sick & went to a Canadian hospital he ripped our health care system...

9 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

When he originally got sick & went to a Canadian hospital he ripped our health care system...

He did but he has since backed off those comments.  Now he basically says a small  rural hospital in either country could have had the issues he encountered and it's not necessarily a reflection of the Canadian health care system.