2016 Draft Standings

It's still over a year away but if Nolan doesn't go 1st, I'll be shocked.  He's already 6'3 and  195lbs & he was the 1st Wheat King in almost 40 years to crack 100 points as a 17 year old (Brian Propp was the last in 1979).  He might not be the flashiest guy on the ice but he's a solid player.  Craig Button compares him to Toews, in that way.

Patrick is starting to draw comparisons to Joe Thornton.  His size and weight, as pointed out, are very impressive for a 17 year old kid.  Watching him this season you can see he is playing like a 6' 3" almost 200 lb man, and not as a kid too big and gangly for his own body.  He plays a more physical game now than last season.  He asserts himself much more against opposing players and, certainly these playoffs so far, he is jawing at them more as well, a sign that he is growing more confident and assuming a leadership role on a veteran laden Wheat Kings team.  He has become the WK's first line centre in the span of about a half season (started as the 2nd line centre), was 5th overall in WHL in points, and plays all 200 feet of the ice.  Does both PP and PK very well.  His only flaw that I've seen is that he could get faster (not that he's slow right now) but I'm sure he will improve that before next year's draft.

I can see the Toews comparisons in that Patrick is a nearly complete player.  He does everything well.  When he becomes the defacto leader of the WKs next season he may show more of the leadership skills that Toews exhibits.  We shall see.  If Patrick continues to improve and excel next season like he has this season he will be a top 3, possibly #1, pick at next year's NHL draft.  I doubt the Jets will be as bad next season but if we are, it would be worth it if we could draft Patrick. 

7 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Patrick is starting to draw comparisons to Joe Thornton.  His size and weight, as pointed out, are very impressive for a 17 year old kid.  Watching him this season you can see he is playing like a 6' 3" almost 200 lb man, and not as a kid too big and gangly for his own body.  He plays a more physical game now than last season.  He asserts himself much more against opposing players and, certainly these playoffs so far, he is jawing at them more as well, a sign that he is growing more confident and assuming a leadership role on a veteran laden Wheat Kings team.  He has become the WK's first line centre in the span of about a half season (started as the 2nd line centre), was 5th overall in WHL in points, and plays all 200 feet of the ice.  Does both PP and PK very well.  His only flaw that I've seen is that he could get faster (not that he's slow right now) but I'm sure he will improve that before next year's draft.

I can see the Toews comparisons in that Patrick is a nearly complete player.  He does everything well.  When he becomes the defacto leader of the WKs next season he may show more of the leadership skills that Toews exhibits.  We shall see.  If Patrick continues to improve and excel next season like he has this season he will be a top 3, possibly #1, pick at next year's NHL draft.  I doubt the Jets will be as bad next season but if we are, it would be worth it if we could draft Patrick. 

Maybe the jets should acquire the first round pick of the ten worst teams. Just to be sure. 

Bill Daley was on a radio show and specifically said if Edmonton won the draft lotto again that changes will be coming next year... to the draft lotto actually. 

So what it sounds like if Edmonton wins the lotto again (doubtful), then they probably won't be allowed to pick first next year. 

35 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Bill Daley was on a radio show and specifically said if Edmonton won the draft lotto again that changes will be coming next year... to the draft lotto actually. 

So what it sounds like if Edmonton wins the lotto again (doubtful), then they probably won't be allowed to pick first next year. 

That's good.  Should have made a change to ensure it doesnt happen this year.  I can see the argument against it.  Poor teams will say how can you legislate bad seasons out of the top spot?  If a team is bad, its bad and thats the purpose of the lottery.  But I think any of the 29 other teams that had the picks Edmonton had the last few years would have done a lot better.  Cant reward poor management. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Obviously I want the pick for the Jets, but it would be so so awesome if the Oilers got it again so I can enjoy my sarcasm with my diehard Oiler friends and watch the Leaf Brass see their 'perfect tank' evaporate.   

On 4/15/2016 at 2:14 PM, Goalie said:

That's asinine. Hey, no one wants the Oilers to pick lower than I. But if they win the lottery, they win the lottery.

They don't ask for money back if you win the Lotto twice.  NHL crapped the bed, now they have to sleep in the ****.

Seems that both Toronto Edmonton and Vancouver for that matter have better odds of picking outside the top 3 than they do of picking in the top 3.

Bet Teams outside the top 3 win picks 1 2 3... Odds seem to suggest that. People can go on and on about percentage but Toronto has a greater chance of picking 4th then they do 1st... 

Edited by Goalie

On 4/19/2016 at 9:00 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Im quite torn.  If the options are Toronto or Edmonton, I really dont know who I'd prefer.

Edmonton (who I hope trades the pick & Nail for some immediate help)... the T.O. media circle jerk over Matthews for the next year would be horrid.

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Seems that both Toronto Edmonton and Vancouver for that matter have better odds of picking outside the top 3 than they do of picking in the top 3.

Bet Teams outside the top 3 win picks 1 2 3... Odds seem to suggest that. People can go on and on about percentage but Toronto has a greater chance of picking 4th then they do 1st... 

The course is called MATH ESSENTIALS, I'll kick in 10 bucks towards enrollment costs...

TO has the best chance of picking number one, Edmonton has 2nd best chance of picking number one, Van has the 3rd best chance of picking number one, etc.....how hard is that to understand?

If the top pick (TO) has a 20% chance of picking number one, wouldn't that suggest that EVERYONE has a better chance at not getting their pick than getting it and that TO would have the best chance of all at it?

I understand that but they also have a 47.5 percent chance of picking 4th. What's so hard to understand about that? 

Last time I checked, 47.5 percent is higher than 20 percent so they have a higher chance at picking 4th than they do at first...

You get it now? 

Edited by Goalie

Are you really that thick?

I've forgotten more about math than you will ever know.

Why don't you figure out everyone's chances and compare them?

It is possibilities and right now the Jets have the 6th best possible chance of getting a first round pick.