2016 Draft Standings

This seems like the best way to go.  I'd make it from the day after the trade deadline.  What's interesting is, it impacts those bottom teams because they will be more reluctant to just sell off the farm to tank.  They will have to measure winning versus trading away players that can bring them a return for the future.

The only issue is it doesnt address the point of the draft, to help out the worst teams.  In this model the worst team doesnt get the best pick (or best odds). 

But you look at this year where Edmonton (who is mind-numbing in how they are in last place after drafting first for what seems like a decade) and Toronto who clearly went into tank mode, versus a team like the Jets who are actually playing decent and trying to win but could still use help in the draft and should be rewarded for not trying to lose any year of their existence (in Winnipeg).

It's actually a spin on an idea that Shane Doan had: When a team is mathematically eliminated, the role is reversed and they need to earn as many points as possible before the end of the season. Whoever earns the most after being mathematically eliminated gets the improved odds or whatever...

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's actually a spin on an idea that Shane Doan had: When a team is mathematically eliminated, the role is reversed and they need to earn as many points as possible before the end of the season. Whoever earns the most after being mathematically eliminated gets the improved odds or whatever...

teams are eliminated at different points though.

Doesnt this effectively mean all non-playoff teams draft in reverse order?  It rewards the teams that just miss the playoffs.  It doesnt help teams that truly suck. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

teams are eliminated at different points though.

Doesnt this effectively mean all non-playoff teams draft in reverse order?  It rewards the teams that just miss the playoffs.  It doesnt help teams that truly suck. 

There is no perfect system.  There will be no perfect system.  It's okay for the pundits to let a season go by without complaining about the system being flawed.  How would people react if the Penguins had been able to add McJesus to their roster, or if the Hawks go on to win their 4th cup in 6 years and then draft Matthews.  Most of the changes suggested will only make the system worse.

Most of the teams at the bottom of the standings simply aren't very good.  And the draft is designed to help them.  How the Oilers have wasted so many years and opportunities is beyond me.  Not really.  Kevin Lowe is terrible at his job.

I said earlier it would be a good idea to trade our 2nd this year and next and Chicago's 1st this year to move up for a second top 10 pick. Throw in Staf too and get a 7-10 pick.

Getting Chychrun and Tkachuk would be almost too much to hope for. Some say Chychrun is ready for the NHL now and most think Tkachuk is only one year away.

Current Standings - Apr 5 - 2248

EDM - 67

TOR - 67

CBJ - 70

CAL - 73

VAN - 73

WPG - 74

Tonight's Winners:

Tonight's Losers: CAL +1 , WPG +2

Remaining games

TOR - CBJ , PHI , NJ

CBJ - TOR , BUF , CHI

WPG - SJ , LA

EDM - VAN , VAN

CAL - VAN , MIN

VAN - EDM, CAL , EDM

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

As Herm Edwards would say "you play to win the game" , really had no chance to finish last or even close to last all we have is are we lucky enough to win the lottery. on the flip side with so many young players playing i don't want them in a losing environment., we may not get the best player in the draft but we still will draft a very good player who hopefully by the time he is ready to join the jets we have a winning team that make the playoffs year after year.

Puljujarvi will probably go 3rd so unless the Jets are picking 3rd, I doubt it. Chychrun actually might fall and I'm not sure I'd take him if he did, He's a guy that I'll just leave to the scouts to judge, they get to talk to him, I don't, something is off there tho, Tkachuk could go anywhere from 4th to 10th probably, depending on the needs of the teams who are picking in front of us.. If the Jets are picking let's just say 5th or 6th, I still think they get a top 3 pick, i just feel the lottery gods will reward the non tanking teams and teams like the Jets and that will pick higher than the Oilers and Leafs.. but let's just say 5th or 6th.... They should have a choice of  Tkachuk, Dubois,Chychrun,Serg,Juolevi. Whoever they feel has the highest ceiling and it wouldn't actually shock me if they passed on the D and took  Tkachuk. Then Take a D with Chicagos pick and our 2nd, cuz they won't be trading up, cuz no team will trade down. 

Edited by Goalie

http://www.tsn.ca/priority-no-1-for-every-canadian-team-1.465748

WINNIPEG

Priority One: Maturation

Scoop: The Winnipeg Jets probably don’t get enough acknowledgement for being such a young team. They entered the year with the fourth youngest lineup based on average age (ahead of only Edmonton, Buffalo and Tampa Bay). It was the main reason for their undoing. They’re even younger now without Andrew Ladd. GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has a lot of the pieces in place already. Mark Scheifele, 23, has blossomed into a No. 1 centre with 27 goals. Nik Ehlers racked up 35 points as a 19-year-old. Jacob Trouba, 21, and Tyler Myers, 25, can anchor the backend for years to come. And Connor Hellebuyck, 22, will be asked to take the reins in net next year. The Jets don’t really need to add much more, they just need time and room to grow. The problem is that isn’t a luxury in the ultra-competitive Central Division.

Well, that's just dead wrong. Their undoing was way simpler than that... It's obvious, I'm not sure how they missed it...

Top 10 possession team, That's very good.. Right up there with the LA's of the world... 

Difference? PAV and Hutch sucked to start the year, our PK sucked and our PP is dead last..

It's not an age issue, it's a goaltending and special teams issue. So  basically, it's goaltending and coaching. Age has nothing to do with any of that. 

Jets are a very good 5 on 5 team and what you've seen recently is when they don't take as many penalties, they start to win games, goalies have played well recently also, they have started winning, It's not about the age of the team, That's a quite frankly, BULLSHIT weak excuse, it's the PP, it's the PK and it's well below league average goaltending for a long long stretch of the season, the only team their goalie ac tually posted league average numbers was when Helle was called up. 

Edited by Goalie

I agree @Goalie not sure where the writer got that from.  Its not like we're a rookie team.  Ladd for most of the year, Wheeler, Little, Buff, Enstrom.  We had maturity.  If he meant we struggled because of adding youth and giving them a chance to develop, I could at least accept that to a degree.  But our #1 priority to address at th draft is maturity?  So we're going to draft a 28 year old pro veteran?  Sounds like someone didnt know anything about the Jets and decided not to bother.

Jets arent far from competing.  I actually think it will be a quick turnaround, a "flick the switch" scenario.  Might not be next season but I think they go from struggling to win to suddenly winning a lot.  The lights will all come on at the same time.  As you said, Special Teams and goaltending is the issue here.  If Helle's limited stats remained consistent throughout a full season and we played even strength every game, we're in the playoffs.

I honestly don't see the Jets taking Chychrun. They like high character guys with strong work ethic and hockey smarts, I'm not sure that applies to Chychrun. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they have Sergachev rated higher. 

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

LHD top priority isn't it.

Best Player Available.  Which depends on how True North rates them.  Scheif wasnt considered the BPA at the time but he was to the Jets.  I think Ehlers was consensus BPA, wasnt he?  Same with Connor who was a surprise to still be there?

When you get below the obvious BPA, take the best player that helps you.  Im not sure if that's the Jets first pick or Chicago's.  Might be BPA with the Jets and Best for their need with Chi's.

Current Standings - Apr 7 - 0030

TOR - 67

EDM - 69

CBJ - 72

VAN - 73

CAL - 73

WPG - 74

Tonight's Winners - TORonto can do no worse then 29th after tonight's loss.

Tonight's Losers - CBJ +2 , EDM +2

Remaining games

TOR - PHI , NJ

EDM - VAN

CBJ - BUF , CHI

VAN - CAL , EDM

CAL - VAN , MIN

WPG - SJ , LA

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg