2016 Draft Standings

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Not really. Leafs. 20.5 percent chance of winning the lottery. Over 40 percent chance picking 4th. 

No, really.  The lower you finish in the standings, the better your odds of getting a better draft pick.  That is mathematically indisputable.

Your odds may still be better of not getting the first overall vs getting it, but the odds of not getting it are higher the better you finish.

NJ won the draft in 2011. Moved up 4 spots. Edmonton won in 2012. Cbj was last. Colo won in 2013. Weren't last. 2014 I think buffalo was last but Florida won. 2015 edmonton won and were 4th last. The last time the last place team won the draft was 2010. Odds mean nothing. It's like buying a lotto max ticket. 

Edited by Goalie

32 minutes ago, Goalie said:

NJ won the draft in 2011. Moved up 4 spots. Edmonton won in 2012. Cbj was last. Colo won in 2013. Weren't last. 2014 I think buffalo was last but Florida won. 2015 edmonton won and were 4th last. The last time the last place team won the draft was 2010. Odds mean nothing. It's like buying a lotto max ticket. 

Odds mean probability.  Not guarantees.  Unless you have 100% odds, there is a chance you won't get something.  But if you have higher odds than someone else, it means you have a higher chance than them  It is mathematics and it can't really be argued.

You should go work in Vegas.  They love how odds mean nothing.

Edit:  Also, it is nothing like a lotto max ticket.  In Lotto Max, every single ticket has the exact same odds of winning.  Not true in the NHL draft lottery.  Every team has different odds of winning. 

I wish that one person never said that last place has an 80% chance of not getting the 1st overall pick.  It seems to really confuse people a lot.

Let me put it this way.  I offer you one of 14 lottery tickets for $1 Million dollars.  I pull out the first one and say this one has a 20% chance of winning BUT an 80% chance of losing, do you want it?

Your response is.  Oh no, 80% of not winning is not really good at all, give me a different one.

I say okay, here is the next one.  Well, it turns out that one has a 13.5% chance of winning AND an 86.5% chance of losing.  

Now since odds mean nothing, you really don't care which one you get ... right?

The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results.[8] Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners are then sorted by points, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.[6]

30. Stanley Cup winner 

29. Runner up 

28. Conference 1

27. Conference 2

26. Division winner 1

25. Division winner 2

24. DW 3

23. DW 4 

If Chicago doesn't win the central and doesn't go to the finals.... Jets pick will be anywhere from probably 20 or so to 23 altho they are 4th in the league right now and only 3 points up on 9th I think. Chicago 88 points. Florida is 9th with 85.

Could even be higher. Teens depending on if they are eliminated first round 

Edited by Goalie