Jets Prospects

Ducky

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

No. Like other four-year uni players, after a certain date, he can sign as a UFA anywhere he wants. 

To muddy the waters a little more, they still have to sign an entry level contact and are subject to RFA rules after that contract expires, it is just that they can do it with any team they choose. 

So not completely a "UFA".  An RFA that can sign with a team of their choosing.

Thanks to a game built around stickhandling, the Jets have a tantalizing prospect in Nathan Smith

For many players, a sub-point per game 20-year-old USHL season, average skating and size, and erratic decision-making would hardly register on the prospect radar. But Smith’s not an ordinary prospect. It’s visible in his, quite frankly, ridiculous stick skills and his atypical hockey background.

Smith was born, raised and trained in Florida, making him the first player of that status to be drafted into the NHL. He started with street hockey and then roller hockey, before converting to ice hockey later than many.

Two seasons ago, in Smith’s first year of draft eligibility, he was playing High School in Florida. Then, he went took a massive step up to the USHL and was instantly Cedar Rapids’ best player.  

The Jets took a gamble Smith, banking on him continuing that upward development curve. Smith will have time to do it. He’ll join Minnesota State University next season, reunited with his Mitchell High linemate, Lucas Sowder.

https://theathletic.com/887212/2019/05/06/thanks-to-a-game-built-around-stickhandling-the-jets-have-a-tantalizing-prospect-in-nathan-smith/

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

:o Lot of money for 2g10a in 36games in SWE.

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Its a standard ELC and those are good stats for a kid playing against men. 

And, you still need to draw him over to North America. He could have stayed in Sweden. 

On 2019-06-13 at 9:50 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

He signed 2 year deal last year i read so he should be still there unless he's got some sort of Vesa escape clause.

They picked him last year. Most those deals are player option deals. Kid got his ElC nhl deal. Hes moose bound now. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dave Minuk @ICdave 47m47 minutes ago

Mikhail Berdin quote re: interaction with Jordan Nolan continued: "...I don't care, like guys tell me its a tough guy, I don't care whose he like. It's my zone. Play puck, if it's a rebound, just play it. But don't touch me. I'm a goalie.". Part 2 of 2). #AHL #MBMoose

Hard not to like this guy.  He's been on fire lately.

• 3 months later...

Wheeler was drafted by Arizona and refused to sign. Actually, Wheeler had huge character issues..honestly, if we go back in time to his draft and The Jets existed, i dont think they would have taken him at that time.. Wheeler was a real prick with major attitude problems in his younger days. Def a player the Jets wouldn't take. Hes matured but in his early career, serious attitude issues

Edited by Goalie