Free Agency 2016...

Mr Dee

OL is one of the tougher spots to fill with rookie imports. (compared to receiver, RB, or DB) because the learning curve is longer for our game.   The yard at the line of scrimmage changes timing and technique, the wider field creates demands for enhanced mobility, and the different number of players on defence leads to more complex blitz packages that need to be picked up.

People have said that RBs and Recs are a "dime a dozen".  While I don't believe that this is true, there is certainly evidence that those positions are more "plug and play" capable.  A receiver can play after 2 weeks of practice and contribute.  A o-line takes multiple games to start to "gel"

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Wouldn't the learning curve for a DB be just as intense? Different zone coverages, different rules, differences in what the refs call (or don't call).

Certainly in a zone situation, you are correct, the zone coverages are quite different due to number of players and the fact that the Americans play on a scaled down field.    In a man defence, the differences aren't quite as large.  I should likely have compared O-line to rec's and RB's. 

On February 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Dragon37 said:

Meh. If they had focused on the OL when I started talking about it, after Kelly destroyed it in 2009, we wouldn't be talking about it now. Not only Walters and co have screwed the pooch on this.

Its crazy how we pretty much torched everyone else Kelly brought in yet managed to build our OL hopes around January, Khan and Morley for years...

We could have an OL dream team made of OL picked right after guys who either never will play here or were cut...

Sewell-Bomben-Goossen-Chungh-Holmes (Fabian-Norman)..  insano

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Its crazy how we pretty much torched everyone else Kelly brought in yet managed to build our OL hopes around January, Khan and Morley for years...

We could have an OL dream team made of OL picked right after guys who either never will play here or were cut...

Sewell-Bomben-Goossen-Chungh-Holmes (Fabian-Norman)..  insano

After 2008 we needed just a few tweaks on the line. Khan was long done (he just was never the same after his illness) and the right side was porous. Kelly's solution was to ditch three quarters of the line and all serviceable back-ups. Because statistically they did not do too bad and our QB spot was so questionable they pretty much skipped doing **** for years. Hell, I think I was taking flac back in 08 when I started saying our line needed fixing, but everyone was convinced it was Glenn, Bishop, or whoever other than the line. Last year, despite all the sacks, I thought I finally saw some progress. However, our play calling did nothing to help the guys out and Willy often held onto the ball way too freaking long and rarely used his feet to get out of trouble so that didn't help either. 

Sad to think too that we just let some decent OL walk like Sorenson. Folks thought he was trash but I believe he started almost every game for Edmonton since then. geez.