Bombers Training Camp All About Quarterbacks

Original Story Here

Just ask Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Tim Burke, who says he’s geared this year’s training camp, which starts Wednesday with rookies and quarterbacks, to find out what his young arms are all about.

“Our whole training camp will be based on developing our quarterbacks,” Burke said, Tuesday. “In addition to everybody else on the team. But definitely there will be a lot of reps... so the quarterbacks all get a fair shot at showing what they can do.”

With the Bombers desperate to find a franchise pivot they can hitch their wagon to, and with newcomers Max Hall and Chase Clement in town, this camp will be unlike others Burke has been involved with.

Oft-injured Buck Pierce may be the No. 1 gun, but after that it’ll be a wide open race to find the next No. 1.

“Normally you go into a season and say, ‘Here’s our No. 1 guy, here’s our No. 2 guy, here’s our No. 3 guy. And you proportion your reps accordingly, with the No. 1 guy getting the vast majority of them,” Burke said. “In this camp, we’re going to try and get everybody a lot of reps so we can see which will be the No. 2, 3 and 4 guys.”

So the returning Justin Goltz might have the backup job on paper going in, but Hall and Clement will get every opportunity to move up.

Wednesday will mark the first practice in the new stadium, but Burke is downplaying the significance of the occasion, pointing out rookies won't know anything but the new facility.

The coach’s plan is to start a new tradition that has nothing to do with the surroundings.

“To me it’s football,” Burke said. “We’re just going to try to get better every day and develop a winning standard of performance. Because you’ve got to have a winning standard of performance before you can go out there and win games.”

As it should be, although I'm also excited to see the db, sam and will battles. There seems to be a lot of praise thrown Hall's way, so I'm eagerly anticipating seeing him on the field and during actual game action. Hopefully Chase Clement gets a chance to show what he can do as well, I've been very high on him since college.

For me, I want to see who is going to step up and make the most of opportunities as they come. Who can be consistent. Who can show continued growth and development in our system.

I suspect Hall will look the most poised and I really expect him to challenge Goltz for the #2 spot. It will be a bit of a disappointment if he doesn't in my opinion. Clement will have to show he can grow as a passer and not just rely on his athleticism .. that said, his legs are going to keep defences honest and he has the ability to challenge the edge (which is a big plus in the CFL and when working behind our line - lol).

Looking forward to the season.

Let's be honest, the entire season comes down to how the qbs do so there's going to be a magnifying glass on them all training camp, going to be a hell of a good time watching and seeing if they can step up and make the most of their opportunities.

Let's be honest, the entire season comes down to how the qbs do so there's going to be a magnifying glass on them all training camp, going to be a hell of a good time watching and seeing if they can step up and make the most of their opportunities.

for the same reason, a magnifying glass ought to be on pass protection and Crowton's new adaptations he has put in for it.

for the same reason, a magnifying glass ought to be on pass protection and Crowton's new adaptations he has put in for it.

We'll get a good sense of how Crowton has grown as a CFL play caller this season. I'm hoping they move to a more uptempo, high percentage passing attack .. get he ball out of he QBs hands quickly .. Take pressure off the offensive line .. I also suspect that we'll see some two RB sets .. H-Back / TE looks ..

We'll get a good sense of how Crowton has grown as a CFL play caller this season. I'm hoping they move to a more uptempo, high percentage passing attack .. get he ball out of he QBs hands quickly .. Take pressure off the offensive line .. I also suspect that we'll see some two RB sets .. H-Back / TE looks ..

Well for 5 straight weeks we were the top offenses in the league, if Crowton can continue to progress and find a way to protect Buck, I think we'll have an exciting upper tier offense. A two RB system could work, especially with the guys we have there in the backfield, also really excited to see Fitzgerald in Crowton's new offense.

Hall will outplay Clemment but I don't know about Goltz right off the hop.. For some reason something tells me Hall should be a gooder..

I'm not too worried about our protection schemes or our offensive game plans.. Crowton seemed to have the offense clicking for the last third of the season and I expect it will only continue to improve..

Sounds like the Bombers are moving to shorter passes with a higher completion average. Quick 3 step & gone similar to what AC does in Montreal. Thye key will be for Buck to make his reads & get rid of the football fast. On some of the hellacious hits he took in the past, Pierce was holding onto the football too long waiting for a receiver to come open on their routes. He can't do that & expect not to get injured. Or running the football. Like AC, he has to pick his spots & then slide or get out of bounds before he gets hit again. I like the thought that we may be having a ball control offense passing the football.

I like Goltz and I think the team does too. Hall will have to be GREAT to win the #2 job, IMO. Nice to have a guy with his experience around as a #3, but I don't think he'll move up higher than that until Pierce gets injured. If things don't work out for Goltz when he gets his shot, then maybe we'll see Hall.

DB should be a interesting battle too the vets will be pushed. I think Burke said yesterday they have brought in 9 new DBs.

Yeah but I have a hard time seeing any of the incumbents losing their jobs. Certainly Stewart and Hef will still be here. Suber and Jovon may be looking over their shoulders.

Don't forget, a lot of those guys could be trying out for SAM as well.

Yes. They've even given up on calling it a LB spot this year, Burke says it's just going to be called "Nickel" in their scheme, as in a 5th DB.

I like Dekota Marshall for that spot, he looks like a player.