Random Death Notice 2016

FrostyWinnipeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

This is what happens when someone does something that they love doing right till the end.

I guess you could say the same about former Megadeath drummer Nick Menza although he was only 51. I can imagine it must have been pretty traumatic for the rest of the band and the crowd when he had a heart attack on stage.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

CTE claims another football player.  Also played Moses Hightower in the original Police Academy movie.

Former NFL player Bubba Smith died with CTE, researchers find

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/former-nfl-player-bubba-smith-died-with-cte-researchers-find/article30132029/

What ya gonna do? Make bigger helmets?

The whole CTE issue is interesting, Years upon years ago these guys had no idea that any of this stuff really existed, at least it wasn't really confirmed. The technology wasn't there to prove it. Plus, these guys grow up playing the sport also, who is to say that some of this stuff doesn't start developing in Junior football or Peewee or whatever. In the past, i kind of look at it and go, hmm that's too bad. They didn't really know that things like that happened tho.Now a days tho, i think the onus is on the player ever more, they know the risk, they know it,  they can't blame anyone but themselves. Nobody is forcing them to play, it's on the player and the parents for that matter. You know the risks now...back in the day tho, you didn't so as harsh as it may be to say, It's unfortunate but, the fact that this CTE thing is relatively new, and wasn't really diagnosed until very recently, players from the 60's 70's 80's early 90's even, It's to bad but... you play a contact sport, you know the risks you take. Now a days, I feel it's even more on the player, You definitely know the risks, and it's been proven that some of those risks are quite significant, you still chose to play tho. NFL teams should probably make guys sign some sort of letters of intent showing that they know the risks and are willing to accept the consequences. Maybe have it part of the contract, player doesn't agree, he doesn't play. If he does, he plays.