Bombers Take To New Field On Wednesaday

Original Story Here

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will make a little local history on Wednesday when they, for the first time ever, take the field as a team at Investors Group Field.

The Bombers are holding a three-day rookie training camp this week in advance of the opening of full camp this coming Sunday, and Wednesday will mark the first ever Bombers practice at the new $200 million stadium.

While hope always springs eternal for CFL teams at this time of year, Bombers head coach Tim Burke told a news conference this afternoon that the long-awaited opening of the new stadium brings with it even higher expectations than normal for the new Bombers season.

"I think there’s heightened expectations. I think mdoving into the new stadium -- it’s a new start, it’s a new beginning. And everybody feels like we need to win to fill the stands, obviously, and bring in revenue for the club," said Burke.

"But yeah, I think the expectations from the coaches are always there. And from management. Whether you’re in the old stadium, the new stadium or playing all of them on the road, your expectation levels are always high."

The Bombers will hold single practices on Wednesday and Friday for their rookie class of 2013 and two practices on Thursday. The club’s veterans report on Saturday for physicals and then full camp opens on Sunday.

Two of those Bombers veterans will report injured. Burke said the latest on slotback Terrence Edwards (lower body) is that the club is hopeful he’ll be ready for Winnipeg’s second pre-season game, while the best case for DB/LB Johnny Sears (knee) is now the opening regular season game on June 27.

Burke said his goal for 2013 is to make the playoffs -- something the club has failed to do in three of the last four seasons.

"...My target is to win more games than you lose," said Burke. "If you can win 10 games, then you’ll be in the playoffs….

"You’ve got to get to the dance, so you can have a chance."