Arrest Warrant Issued for Bill Cosby - Sexual Assault

The Unknown Poster

I thought there was a Bill Cosby thread but I couldnt find it (possibly in another celebrity sex thread).  Anyway, the Cos may be seeing the chickens coming home to roost...

An arrest warrant has been issued for entertainer Bill Cosby for allegedly drugging and sexually assaulting former Temple employee Andrea Constand at his Elkins Park, Pennsylvania mansion in January 2004, sources tell PEOPLE.

Constand was not available for comment but one of her attorneys expressed gratitude toward the prosecutor.

"Obviously we appreciate the expression of confidence in her," says Dolores Troiani of her client, Constand, 42, who is now a massage therapist in Ontario, Canada. "We'll have to see what happens. We hope justice will be done. We will cooperate fully."

Cosby has previously said what happened between him and Constand was consensual, but in new court filings last summer Constand said she was in a relationship with a woman at the time. She also called Cosby a "narcissist" who missed cues that she's gay.

The statute of limitations to charge Cosby runs out in January.

Troiani exclusively told PEOPLE in September that if prosecutors decided to arrest Cosby for the alleged assault, Constand would fully cooperate.

"I think she'd a very strong lady," Troiani said. "She'll do whatever she needs to do, whatever they ask of her."

So far, more than 50 women have accused the entertainer of drugging and/or sexually assaulting them. (Cosby has vehemently denied all of the allegations). The warrant comes just two weeks after Cosby filed defamation lawsuits against several of those accusers, who have
filed defamation lawsuits of their own against him.

I guess, maybe what this proves is that it don't matter if you have all the money or fame in the world....  you still want power and i suppose in a way, sexual assault or rape or whatever you wanna call it... it's all about the power that you crave. 

Personally, I'd never sexually assault a woman, it just wouldn't happen, i was the type of guy at the bar where if a drunk girl was all over me, i'd kind of back off a bit just because i just didn't see the fun in taking advantage of a drunk person. Others tho, and No doubt, going to bars in the past, we've all seen it, Some guys don't care and will take advantage of the drunk girl.. It don't matter if you are Patrick Kane, Evander Kane, Bill Cosby or Tom Foolery from down the block... It happens. 

It's funny, whenever these come out, most people say... looks like it's another money grabbing woman, they never for one second even think that it's possible that maybe just maybe the guy actually did rape her. 

While there are instances of women setting a guy up or making a false accusation for an attempt at monetary gain, those sort of high profile scenario's are pretty rare.  I cant call the cops and say Bill Cosby raped me last weekend.  The cops would laugh me out of the police station.  There has to be opportunity and motive.  In the case of both Kane's, they put themselves in positions to provide opportunity to an accuser.  Even then, evidence is evidence. 

It seems when an accusation is made against a celebrity or athlete, more often than not it's true.  Not always ofcourse.  Look at Michael Jackson.  He was rail roaded.  But then look at OJ Simpson who actually got away with murder.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting aspect to this case. The former prosecutor announced he would not prosecute Cosby. Cosby then answers questions in a civil suit more openly because he knew he was not subject to prosecution. Now new prosecutor is using those words against him. 

Norristown, Pennsylvania (CNN)Former Pennsylvania prosecutor Bruce Castor may not want a judge to throw out recent sexual assault charges against Bill Cosby. But he conceded Tuesday he thought he barred the commonwealth from prosecuting the case 11 years ago.

Cosby's lawyers contend that charges filed late last year by Castor's successor should be dismissed because Castor announced in 2005 that Cosby wouldn't be prosecuted.Bruce Castor, a former Montgomery County district attorney, testified in a pretrial hearing in Norristown, where attorneys for the entertainer are asking a judge to drop recent charges accusing Cosby of sexually assaulting Andrea Constand at his home in 2004.

Castor testified Tuesday that he did so in part because he didn't believe the case was strong enough for a conviction.

"Mr. Cosby was not getting prosecuted, at all, ever, as far as I was concerned," Castor testified Tuesday. "... I made the decision as the sovereign that Mr. Cosby would not be prosecuted, no matter what."

His other reason for not charging Cosby? Castor said he thought the move might help Constand successfully sue the entertainer.

Castor essentially conceded that the only reason Cosby testified in Constand's subsequent 2005 civil suit -- the very testimony that prosecutors are now using to charge him -- was because he took prosecution off the table. 

When Castor declined to prosecute in 2005, he said, Cosby couldn't claim Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination in the civil suit.

"Cosby would have had to have been nuts to have said those things (in the civil deposition) if he thought he was going to be prosecuted," Castor said.

But, Castor told Cosby's lawyers Tuesday: "I'm not on your team. I want them (the prosecutors who've charged Cosby) to win."

21 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

This is why I don't read the news.  Why dwell on something that has nothing to do with you?  This world is too full of media talking about useless information that most people don't need to know.

Why did you read this and bother to reply then?

I find true crime very interesting and the fact Cosby leads CNN every time there is a development tells me many, many people feel the same way.  If something doesnt interest you, that is not to say it doesnt interest someone else.

This scenario in particular is very intriguing.  in Canada, it's rare for charges to be dropped, they are always "stayed" which is essentially the same thing but allows for charges to be re-activated within a year.  And Im sure its rare in Canada for the Crown to publicly announce that no charges will be brought.  So, in this case in the US, where we see this happen from time to time, especially in high profile cases where a lawyer gets the DA to publicly (or at least privately) promise there will be no charges... is that a legally binding "promise"?

Very interesting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I dont want to say he obviously did it.  And the jury's job is to judge whether the prosecution proved their case.  But I mean, the guy admitted in a sworn deposition to giving women Quaaludes for sex.  The sheer volume of women telling the same story and who's stories essentially check out after so many years....clearly, if you were a betting man, you'd bet on guilty.

Sucks for Cosby that hes now old and going blind.  But he should pay.  At this point, those women should get a big pay day because as stated, even if found guilty, its not like he's likely to spend 20 years in jail.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont want to say he obviously did it.  And the jury's job is to judge whether the prosecution proved their case.  But I mean, the guy admitted in a sworn deposition to giving women Quaaludes for sex.  The sheer volume of women telling the same story and who's stories essentially check out after so many years....clearly, if you were a betting man, you'd bet on guilty.

Sucks for Cosby that hes now old and going blind.  But he should pay.  At this point, those women should get a big pay day because as stated, even if found guilty, its not like he's likely to spend 20 years in jail.

If only the first one had gone to cops in the 60's.

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Would have been big public news.

Maybe.  Cosby was pretty big even back then and it sounds like the drug & rape thing was rather rampant among certain celebrity circles.  One woman comes forward, he likely talks his way out of it with the backing of Hollywood elites. 

Keep in mind, the fact he drugged and raped women was common knowledge.  It was the age of social media and it going viral leading to so many more coming forward that led to these charges.