Rookie Camp Observations - Day One

Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im personally not going to be so focused on the QB situation. Im more interested in the D-line and the secondary. I think if we get our Defence to where it was in 2011, have a solid run game and Great ST's with the newly aquired Craig Dickenson... We can really get something good going regardless of Bucks health.

My hope is one of the guys step up to at least be adequit. I figure we can be competitive if this happens.

One thing I'm wondering: will there be any more surprise signings tomorrow? I know we can expect two, maybe three already but I wonder if there will be more.

Wiecek wrote last night (By: Paul Wiecek Posted: 3:20 AM :ohttp://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 02711.html) that we can expect as many as four new signings today. At least two we already know about: Zach Anderson and Marcus Hyde.

One thing I'm wondering: will there be any more surprise signings tomorrow? I know we can expect two, maybe three already but I wonder if there will be more.

Wiecek wrote last night (By: Paul Wiecek Posted: 3:20 AM :ohttp://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 02711.html) that we can expect as many as four new signings today. At least two we already know about: Zach Anderson and Marcus Hyde.

Pretty sure RB Robert Brown will be another one.

EDIT: DB Sam Pope will likely be the fourth.

One of the worst things about having to live in AB for work, is missing out on camp. Love reading the individual thoughts as it's happening. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to update the site on what they see and hear!

QB is definitely the battle Iso ... I also think that DB and DL will bring some surprises. The LB core will be interesting to watch as well.

Am I just getting old, forgetful and senile or did I dream of reading an article where Burke said that they've got 9 DB's in camp because he wasn't happy with the performance of the secondary last year? I can't find it but that should be an interesting battle.

Also, some of the most intriguing rookies they've brought in are on the D-Line (specially Zach Anderson and Dexter Davies). Really looking forward to seeing what these guys can do.

I wonder who snags a job only to lose it to Sears when he gets healthy

Good point, Sears will miss probably all of camp but you have to think he's going to be a starter when he gets back.

TSN is indicating that Sears will be out until at least the start of the regular season.

Terrence Edwards remains sidelined with a lower body injury, Tim Burke doesn’t expect him back until second pre season game.

Johnny Sears will be on the shelf until at least the start of the regular season. He tore is ACL in the second to last game of 2012 and had surgery in November.

All other veterans are healthy and are set to report to training camp. - TSN

I wonder who snags a job only to lose it to Sears when he gets healthy

Good point, Sears will miss probably all of camp but you have to think he's going to be a starter when he gets back.

TSN is indicating that Sears will be out until at least the start of the regular season.

Terrence Edwards remains sidelined with a lower body injury, Tim Burke doesn’t expect him back until second pre season game.

Johnny Sears will be on the shelf until at least the start of the regular season. He tore is ACL in the second to last game of 2012 and had surgery in November.

All other veterans are healthy and are set to report to training camp. - TSN

ugh. that sucks. Hopefully we have a solid backup option for him in case it flares up later on down the line..

I can't remember where but I also read burke said the same thing about dbs

Thanks to that rather excellent Twitter feed they've got going on the LHS of the page, it just popped up:

Burke also wants to improve the secondary and will give some new defensive backs a try.

"I didn't think our secondary played very well last year, so we brought in a lot of DBs to compete at that position,'' he said. "Certainly the guys who were here last year are going to have to play better than they played last year or they won't be here.''

http://www.cfl.ca/article/burke-champin ... -sidelines

not much room in the back of those endzones! :lol:

that "controversy" was quite the tempest-in-a-teapot...

looks to be plenty of room now that you see players standing in it and you can get a sense of scale.

Bob Irving ‏@BobIrvingCJOB 20m

Max hall pitches a beauty to jameze massey--fans applaud

That makes me smile - two exciting players to watch.

woohoo. lets hope we keep hearing that first part and other receivers all camp long :)