The Environment Thread

Wanna-B-Fanboy

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I fly as little as possible. Flown maybe 2 return trips in the past decade.

I have a low mileage vehicle. I would love to purchase a fully electric vehicle, but can't afford it- sobi write to my MLA and MP and councillor to push them towards rebates and tax incentives to make zero emmision vehicles more affordable.

I try to source as much food locally as I can. We have reduced our family's intake of beef and pork. 

Why are you being so confrontational?

Couldn't resist. Sorry for being confrontational. All of that is commendable and you're clearly matching your actions with your beliefs. I'll be honest, I have a problem with those who preach enviromentalism and then still drive frequently, travel extensively etc.

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Couldn't resist. Sorry for being confrontational. All of that is commendable and you're clearly matching your actions with your beliefs. I'll be honest, I have a problem with those who preach enviromentalism and then still drive frequently, travel extensively etc.

Thanks. No worries. I was just wondering.

I wish I could do more- but it's tough raising a family, that takes up a **** load of my time. I honestly think that the best way to tackle climate change and the other host of issues (Micro-plastics, POPs {huge issue}, marginalized people, and so on) is through government intervention with laws and initiatives. 

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

Good choice. The future for kids being born now is grim.

what possible basis do you have to say this?  Humans on earth right now have the best quality of life ever enjoyed in our entire history as a species.  Every year more and more millions of people around the world have been lifted out of poverty, and are now being educated, while being given access to clean water and healthy food.  The future of this planet is extremely bright, as technology continues to advance and quality of life continues to get better.  Only 40 years ago, if you had bad kidneys or a bad heart, you were given a death sentence.  Now you can just get a new heart, and keep on living.  How cool is that!

The biggest disservice we can do for the next generation is tell them that their future is "grim".  This is just silly.  All the trends say otherwise.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I have chosen to have children. I am raising them to be little tree-huggers with purpose. My oldest is graduating this year and is making the transition from a mergers and acquisition lawyer to managing ethical hedge funds that focus on post fossil fuels.

what makes these funds "ethical" exactly?  Who makes this determination?

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

We have reduced our family's intake of beef and pork. 

What's wrong with beef and pork?  Both are excellent sources of protein.  I recommend eating more beef and pork.

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

If you honestly are looking for an answer to these questions, Google would be your best bet.

I grew up on a farm, and we grew our own pork, chicken, and some beef too.  Protein is very important to peoples' diets, and so I would not recommend cutting back, if you are interested in eating healthy.  

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/pork#nutrition

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I grew up on a farm, and we grew our own pork, chicken, and some beef too.  Protein is very important to peoples' diets, and so I would not recommend cutting back, if you are interested in eating healthy.  

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/pork#nutrition

Cool- thanks for the info. 

A little off topic- maybe you should start a thread on that- I am sure there are many posters who would like to chime in as well as become more informed. 

So Canada, which is basically carbon neutral if you factor in our sinks, needs to make all these sacrifices and changes why again? Even if we hit net zero, that's a 1% change in global emissions at best, but really end up being nothing as emissions continue to rise from the big polluters and emerging markets.

So the whole purpose is to show the world that we can do it? Like China, USA, Russia, India give a flying **** what we do?

Even someone with a learning disability can see how futile this is.  

Cool article- this goes back to what @pigseye was talking about ways to take care of the waste. I totally agree that a way to dispose or transform the wastes is a huge step in mitigating Climate Crisis- but we also need to eventually curb our use of fossil fuels.

https://scitechdaily.com/using-nanoparticles-to-convert-co2-into-valuable-resources/

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

13 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Cool article- this goes back to what @pigseye was talking about ways to take care of the waste. I totally agree that a way to dispose or transform the wastes is a huge step in mitigating Climate Crisis- but we also need to eventually curb our use of fossil fuels.

https://scitechdaily.com/using-nanoparticles-to-convert-co2-into-valuable-resources/

Yup, one step at a time, solve the emissions problem first then we have all the time in the world to transition in a safe and prosperous way for everyone. 

That won't make the anti-capitalist/social justice warrior crowd to happy but nothing ever does. 

A new reconstruction of Arctic (NW Greenland) sea ice cover (Caron et al., 2019) reveals modern day sea ice is present multiple months longer than almost any time in the last 8000 years…and today’s summer sea surface temperatures are among the coldest of the Holocene. Yet another new study shows today’s Arctic sea ice cover is still quite extensive when compared to the last several thousand years, when CO2 concentrations ranged between 260 and 270 ppm. Regional (northwest Greenland) sea surface temperatures were about 2°C warmer than at present for most of the last 6000 to 8000 years.

Other new Arctic sea ice reconstructions from the north of Iceland (Harning et al., 2019) and Barents Sea (Berben et al., 2019) regions indicate a) modern sea ice extent has changed very little in the last several hundred years, or since the Little Ice Age, and b) the Early Holocene had millennial-scale periods of sea-ice-free and open water conditions, which is in stark contrast to “modern conditions” – the “highest value” or furthest extent of the sea ice record.

I love science.

Clean energy shares streak ahead of fossil fuel stocks

Sharp fall in wind and solar costs has made renewables cheaper than coal and gas

"Investors who bet on a shift from fossil fuels to clean energy are being richly rewarded as solar and wind stocks outperform oil and gas shares by a widening margin this year. The iShares Clean Energy exchange-traded fund has risen by 32 per cent so far this year, streaking far ahead of the oil-dominated Vanguard Energy ETF, which has risen by only 1 per cent.

In August, the renewables fund bettered the fossil fuel ETF by the biggest margin in five years. Renewable energy developers have been benefiting from a sharp reduction in the cost of wind and solar in recent years, which has made them cheaper than coal and natural gas at certain times in many markets.

The cost of solar has fallen 85 per cent since 2010, while wind power has dropped about 50 per cent, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

Renewable stocks also outperformed oil and gas shares in 2017 and 2018, although both sectors ended last year down."

https://www.ft.com/content/2586fa10-e122-11e9-b112-9624ec9edc59?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6

8 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Clean energy shares streak ahead of fossil fuel stocks

Sharp fall in wind and solar costs has made renewables cheaper than coal and gas

"Investors who bet on a shift from fossil fuels to clean energy are being richly rewarded as solar and wind stocks outperform oil and gas shares by a widening margin this year. The iShares Clean Energy exchange-traded fund has risen by 32 per cent so far this year, streaking far ahead of the oil-dominated Vanguard Energy ETF, which has risen by only 1 per cent.

In August, the renewables fund bettered the fossil fuel ETF by the biggest margin in five years. Renewable energy developers have been benefiting from a sharp reduction in the cost of wind and solar in recent years, which has made them cheaper than coal and natural gas at certain times in many markets.

The cost of solar has fallen 85 per cent since 2010, while wind power has dropped about 50 per cent, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

Renewable stocks also outperformed oil and gas shares in 2017 and 2018, although both sectors ended last year down."

https://www.ft.com/content/2586fa10-e122-11e9-b112-9624ec9edc59?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6

gap will continue to widen.

Thanks for the info.

14 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

This is what happens when you want to sell apocalyptic fairy tales.  You end up with crazy baby eaters coming to your press conferences.  Never go for the crazy people vote.  You end up in this kind of hellish nightmare.

As you probably know by now (but didn't delete your misleading post), the person was a plant for the LaRouche PAC, a far-right Trump supporting group.

Conservatives attacked Ocasio-Cortez over a bizarre town hall speaker. Now, a pro-Trump fringe group says it planned the stunt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/04/conservatives-attacked-ocasio-cortez-over-bizarre-town-hall-speaker-now-pro-trump-fringe-group-says-they-planned-stunt/

You may want to reevaluate who the "crazy" people actually are.  And buy a mirror if you don't already own one.

Edited by Wideleft

16 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

As you probably know by now (but didn't delete your misleading post), the person was a plant for the LaRouche PAC, a far-right Trump supporting group.

Conservatives attacked Ocasio-Cortez over a bizarre town hall speaker. Now, a pro-Trump fringe group says it planned the stunt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/04/conservatives-attacked-ocasio-cortez-over-bizarre-town-hall-speaker-now-pro-trump-fringe-group-says-they-planned-stunt/

You may want to reevaluate who the "crazy" people actually are.  And buy a mirror if you don't already own one.

I thought AOC handled that really well. SHe didn't shout her down, she let her rant, realized that something was odd about her behaviour and acted with compassion. 

I suspect she knew what was going on- especially after the eating babies comment, yet she still handled it with an amount of grace and compassion. 

AOC is awesome. She has a very bright future. 

I can only imagine if that was a trump rally or a conservative rally- no compassion, just straight to shouting down, threats of violence and mockery.

There is hope for the future with people like AOC.