The Environment Thread

Wanna-B-Fanboy

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

extremely poorly said. You have completely ignored the basic economics of how our society operates and based your entire argument on emotion and apocalyptic fairy tales. 

The science is settled on this. Wideleft is dealing with facts and evidence- you are the only one trotting out fairytales and emotion based responses.  Nothing you say regarding climate change is backed up by fact. I mean you accept that world is round based on science and evidence, why are y ou so opposed to climate change? 

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The same people advocating for destroying our economy by immediately jumping to "renewables" (this terms is a joke by the way, as most of these energy sources are just as dirty as natural gas) are the same ones who can't do basic math, and should be kept as far away from the corridors of power as possible.

You haven't even read the green new deal - it's about transitioning with as little disruption to the economy as possible. I call bullshit on your equating renewables to be just as dirty as natural gas. 

You have to stop being so dishonest if you want to talk seriously about this topic man... 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, pigseye said:

We didn't miss anything, you are just oblivious to the need for petroleum products in todays world, they are just as needed as our biological functions. Now run along and take that dump that you so clearly need and come back when you are not so constipated. 

How you honestly equate humanity's present socioeconomic reliance on fossil fuels to the biological need to expel waste is beyond absurd. I can't say I'm surprised at your pigheadedness, though. This is the "strategy" you use when proven incorrect.

Stick to the childish comments while you're at it, BTW. It really helps others take you and your ignorant opinions seriously.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

You have to stop being so dishonest if you want to talk seriously about this topic man... 

I'm more troubled by the double standard in play: accusing others of letting their emotions dictate what they say, while vehemently denying reality and making statements like "climate apocalyptics (that's not even a word) really want a mass cull," "98%* of us would be dead of starvation and cold," and "destruction of the economy and dangerous to the survival of mankind." There's some over-the-top, emotionally-fueled alarmist rhetoric for you.

* The world's population dropping to 140,000,000 is such a ridiculous claim; it was approximately 10x that amount prior to the discovery of fossil fuels.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

It's amusing to see a person who thinks there is little or no connection between climate change and burning fossil fuels, quoting with approval James Hansen.

It's more amusing watching all the Greta Thunbergs here refusing to acknowledge what Hansen is saying. Do you have an opinion? If so what is it?

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I am not being dishonest.  I would ask in return that people here pushing the apocalyptic visions to learn how to do math. 

Also you guys are 0-41 right now on these predictions.  Why are the scientists right this time? Oh right because we aren't allowed to question those feeding us this malarkey. Right.

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It's more amusing watching all the Greta Thunbergs here refusing to acknowledge what Hansen is saying. Do you have an opinion? If so what is it?

What specifically are you referring to?  Hansen has said a great deal of things.... 

Bunch of Gretas? Totally necessary and totally on brand for you. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

12 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

What specifically are you referring to?  Hansen has said a great deal of things.... 

Bunch of Gretas? Totally necessary and totally on brand for you. 

I take it as a compliment, even though I know that's not how it was meant.  Also a proud tree hugger, SJW and virtue signaller.

42 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I am not being dishonest.  I would ask in return that people here pushing the apocalyptic visions to learn how to do math. 

Also you guys are 0-41 right now on these predictions.  Why are the scientists right this time? Oh right because we aren't allowed to question those feeding us this malarkey. Right.

You may think you're being honest with yourself, but that's about where it ends.

Greta Thunberg:

“Freak yachting accidents do happen…”

That was how British businessman, Trump ally, and Brexit bankroller Arron Banks responded to the news that Greta Thunberg, the Swedish teen who inspired the school climate strikes movement, was sailing to America to attend the UN Climate Action Summit. His scorn was not unique.

Many people have already spilled thousands of words of commentary explaining how personal attacks on Greta — often lobbed by old white men, sometimes mocking her Aspergers — are unacceptable. But understanding where those attackers come from, ideologically and professionally, casts an important light on some of their dark statements.

a large subsection of the commentariat driving the abuse of Greta is part of an established network of radical free-marketeer lobby groups — a network that has firm ties to the fossil fuel industry and funders of climate science denial.

Banks threatening a crew of people and a child with drowning cause he doesn't like their movement..... Shows you the kind of person behind the pro fossil fuel movement.

The avalanche of attacks on Greta Thunberg are  a sure sign that she is succeeding, and they know it.

The baby boom generation is certainly going to be remembered by succeeding generations, and not for anything worthwhile.

Edited by Mark F

Heartland institute, Koch brothers, nothing new.

It’s perhaps unsurprising to find that many of the U.S. commentators verbally assaulting Greta also have ties to the Heartland Institute, given the organisation’s Big Oil funding and long-history of promoting climate science denial.

The institute’s website published a long blog post by one of its ‘policy experts’, Gregory Wrightstone, who attempted to refute many of Thunberg’s arguments for climate action. “It is time for her to go back to school to learn what she doesn’t know and to unlearn so much of what she has been taught,” he concluded.

Many other critics of Greta in the U.S. are tied to another of Heartland’s funders, the Koch family, owners of the U.S.’s largest private energy company.

Marc Morano, communications director of campaign group Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT), and a regular speaker at Heartland Institute events, has a long history of spreading misinformation about climate change.

He was also one of the loudest critics of Greta’s visit to the U.S., appearing on Ezra Levant’s Rebel Media to describe the young activist as “bait” to entrap critics of climate policy. Levant was an intern at the Charles Koch Foundation and later worked for the Koch-funded Fraser Institute

teen vogue desmog blog

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Yes.  And this: 

"The Midwest flooding has killed livestock, ruined harvests and has farmers worried for their future.  Across parts of the Midwest, hundreds of livestock are drowned or stranded; valuable unsold, stored grain is ruined in submerged storage bins; and fields are like lakes, casting doubt on whether they can be planted this year."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/21/us/floods-nebraska-iowa-agriculture-farm-loss/index.html

You too need to learn the difference between weather and climate. 

59 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Nuclear power is a solution that just creates another problem. Disposing of nuclear waste has been an issue that hasn't been resolved in 40 years- if you can resolve that, then yeah have at it. Bernie's plan is knee jerk, he should look into more and maybe look into disposing of the nuclear waste in a responsible manner. 

John Oliver had an informative and entertaining segment on it two years ago. 

Also... I find it odd that you reference James Hansen, when everything he stands for regarding climate change you just  plug your ears and shut your eyes about. Is his opinion only valid when it matches your ideology?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

8 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Nuclear power is a solution that just creates another problem. Disposing of nuclear waste has been an issue that hasn't been resolved in 40 years- if you can resolve that, then yeah have at it. Bernie's plan is knee jerk, he should look into more and maybe look into disposing of the nuclear waste in a responsible manner. 

John Oliver had an informative and entertaining segment on it two years ago. 

Also... I find it odd that you reference James Hansen, 

I find it odd that you find it odd.

disturbing information. Well worth reading.

Scientific American.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/vanishing-nutrients/

According to a growing body of research, rising carbon dioxide levels are making our food less nutritious, robbing key crops of vitamins essential to human development.

Studies have shown that crops as varied as wheat, maize, soybeans and field peas contain less protein, zinc, and iron when grown under levels of carbon dioxide expected by 2050. Many crops have already suffered losses in these nutrients; one study compared modern plants with historical herbarium specimens and found that levels of all minerals, including zinc, iron and calcium, closely tracked carbon dioxide levels through time.

The latest paper on the topic, published earlier this year in Science Advances, found that concentrations of essential nutrients decreased in 18 strains of rice after being exposed to increased carbon dioxidelevels in an experiment. The study was the first to show that B vitamins like riboflavin, which helps your body break down food to make energy, and folate, which is important for fetal development, dropped by as much as 30 percent.

Rising CO2  affects everything.

Poor Greta, she is just being used,

Greta Thunberg lives in Sweden. According to peer-reviewed science, Sweden was at least 3°C warmer than it is today about 6000 to 9000 years ago, when CO2 concentrations lingered around 265 ppm. At 410 ppm CO2, 21st century Sweden is colder now than almost any time in the last 9000 years.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-007-0358-2

39 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I have chosen to not have children. What are the rest of you doing to fight climate change?

I have chosen to have children. I am raising them to be little tree-huggers with purpose. My oldest is graduating this year and is making the transition from a mergers and acquisition lawyer to managing ethical hedge funds that focus on post fossil fuels.

and my youngest just entered Kindergarten at a school that is big on teaching environmental sustainability. 

So hopefully they help make positive changes in their lifetimes due to the indoctrination of being good stewards of the environment. 

I fly as little as possible. Flown maybe 2 return trips in the past decade.

I have a low mileage vehicle. I would love to purchase a fully electric vehicle, but can't afford it- sobi write to my MLA and MP and councillor to push them towards rebates and tax incentives to make zero emmision vehicles more affordable.

I try to source as much food locally as I can. We have reduced our family's intake of beef and pork. 

Why are you being so confrontational?