The Environment Thread

Wanna-B-Fanboy

15 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

First off- no need to start with the name calling. 

Secondly, that is faulty logic- you are saying that the conditions were the same in both photos to discount the "alarmist", someone points out the absence of snow from the recent pic that was found in the 1984 pic (underscoring the argument of climate crisis) and you just insult him. That is not a good way to foster a constructive discussion and it paints you as a (which you are not, it just makes you look like one). 

You guys thought it was the same picture, I just called you out on it, sorry if I hurt your feelings. 

39 minutes ago, pigseye said:

lol, only someone completely dense would think it's the same picture used in both, it's obviously not, but the conditions were the same in 1984 for those of you who aren't smart enough to figure that out. 

What an brainless retort. Your grasp on sarcasm is about as good as your understanding of climate change. How embarrassing.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Well yeah. That is his point. What is yours?

Funny thing how that 125 years coincides with the burning of fossils fuels eh?

but, this stuff is tough to understand....... for some people.

Anyway, my new nickname for p-eye is

Osmium.

save you the trouble   "Osmium is the densest naturally occurring element"

oh oh, that's mean.

Edited by Mark F

Many parts of Europe are experiencing the first heatwave of the year as a result of warm air masses from Africa, setting new daytime and overnight temperature records for June. The heat poses a risk to people's health, agriculture and the environment. this is consistent with climate scenarios which predict more frequent, drawn out and intense heat events as greenhouse gas concentrations lead to a rise in global temperatures.  

The heatwave in Europe follows extreme heat episodes in Australia, India, Pakistan and parts of the Middle East in 2019. More are expected to follow during this northern hemisphere summer.

Heat events kill thousands of people every year and often trigger secondary events such as wildfires and failures to electrical grids.  

Between 2000 and 2016 the number of people exposed worldwide to heatwaves increased by an estimated 126 million.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/europe-sees-first-heatwave-of-year

also

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has officially evaluated temperature record extremes of 54.0 °C at two locations, one in Mitribah, Kuwait, on 21 July 2016 and a second in Turbat, Pakistan, on 28 May 2017. 

In its most intensive evaluation ever undertaken, the WMO Archive of Weather and Climate Extremes, has verified the Mitribah observation as 53.9 °C (± 0.1 °C margin of uncertainty) and the Turbat one as 53.7 °C (± 0.4 °C). 

The Mitribah, Kuwait temperature is now accepted by the WMO as the highest temperature ever recorded for the continental region of Asia and the two observations are the third (tied within uncertainty limits) and fourth highest WMO-recognized temperature extremes. Significantly, they are the highest, officially-recognized temperatures to have been recorded in the last 76 years.

world meteorological organization

17 hours ago, Mark F said:

Funny thing how that 125 years coincides with the burning of fossils fuels eh?

but, this stuff is tough to understand....... for some people.

Anyway, my new nickname for p-eye is

Osmium.

save you the trouble   "Osmium is the densest naturally occurring element"

oh oh, that's mean.

You know FA about the science of it, well here it is right from your own Bible,

First NOAA showing when the AGW started, somewhere in the 1950's

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature

Then the IPCC's conclusion on the AGW,

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/sep/27/global-warming-ipcc-report-humans

Greenhouse gases contributed a global mean surface warming likely to be in the range of 0.5°C to 1.3 °C over the period 1951−2010, with the contributions from other anthropogenic forcings, including the cooling effect of aerosols, likely to be in the range of −0.6°C to 0.1°C."

"It is extremely likely [95 percent confidence] more than half of the observed increase in global average surface temperature from 1951 to 2010 was caused by the anthropogenic increase in greenhouse gas concentrations and other anthropogenic forcings together."

From the statement above, it is just as likely that just over half of the .5C warming since 1950 is AGW. You still want to argue that the glaciers melting 125 years ago is somehow a human induced condition? Not even the IPCC or the staunchest warming alarmists have suggested such nonsense.

PS I'd rather be dense than just another sheep in the herd, bah..... 

17 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The point will be felt when your drinking water in Calgary dries up and you have to pump it back up hill as it recedes.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem and that we shouldn't be doing everything we can to abate it but you are drawing a conclusion that science and the IPCC don't even support. Everyone knows we have been warming up since coming out of the little Ice Age and that's just the way it is. Have we been contributing to the warming in the past 60 years, absolutely, there is scientific evidence to back it up as I posted above, but that contribution isn't the cause of the glaciers melting in the first place, that started long before an AGW signal was detected.

I just have a problem with alarmists drawing conclusions that the science doesn't support. 

18 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Nope, that was said with 100% sincerity. I guess we now know who the dense one is, eh.

Why participate in this discussion when you contribute nothing of value to it?

I can appreciate your honesty, thanks. Why bother to respond to me if I contribute nothing, just ignore me, or do enjoy actually enjoy it? 

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

It's definitely extremely hot in some areas of the world maybe they will break the current continental records:

North America 1913

Africa 1922

Asia 1942

Oceania 1960

Europe 1977

South America 1905

Antarctica 1974

Funny how we haven't set a new continental record in over 42 years, I'm sure there must have been measuring error involved back then. What other explanation can there be?

https://www.thoughtco.com/highest-temperature-ever-recorded-1435172

Turns out the reports in France have been debunked by old newspaper articles from the 1930's, it was just as hot or hotter back then and in the 1870's as well.

https://notrickszone.com/

You really have to stay on top of the 'fake news' these days. If I were a warmist, I'd be outraged by this as it delegitimizes the actual problem we are facing. Skeptics like me just end up seeing this as more alarmist BS from the main stream media instead of just telling it like it is, just so sad. 

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

You know FA about the science of it, well here it is right from your own Bible,

First NOAA showing when the AGW started, somewhere in the 1950's

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature

Then the IPCC's conclusion on the AGW,

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/sep/27/global-warming-ipcc-report-humans

Greenhouse gases contributed a global mean surface warming likely to be in the range of 0.5°C to 1.3 °C over the period 1951−2010, with the contributions from other anthropogenic forcings, including the cooling effect of aerosols, likely to be in the range of −0.6°C to 0.1°C."

"It is extremely likely [95 percent confidence] more than half of the observed increase in global average surface temperature from 1951 to 2010 was caused by the anthropogenic increase in greenhouse gas concentrations and other anthropogenic forcings together."

From the statement above, it is just as likely that just over half of the .5C warming since 1950 is AGW. You still want to argue that the glaciers melting 125 years ago is somehow a human induced condition? Not even the IPCC or the staunchest warming alarmists have suggested such nonsense.

PS I'd rather be dense than just another sheep in the herd, bah..... 

2 hours ago, pigseye said:

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem and that we shouldn't be doing everything we can to abate it but you are drawing a conclusion that science and the IPCC don't even support. Everyone knows we have been warming up since coming out of the little Ice Age and that's just the way it is. Have we been contributing to the warming in the past 60 years, absolutely, there is scientific evidence to back it up as I posted above, but that contribution isn't the cause of the glaciers melting in the first place, that started long before an AGW signal was detected.

I just have a problem with alarmists drawing conclusions that the science doesn't support. 

I can appreciate your honesty, thanks. Why bother to respond to me if I contribute nothing, just ignore me, or do enjoy actually enjoy it? 

It's definitely extremely hot in some areas of the world maybe they will break the current continental records:

North America 1913

Africa 1922

Asia 1942

Oceania 1960

Europe 1977

South America 1905

Antarctica 1974

Funny how we haven't set a new continental record in over 42 years, I'm sure there must have been measuring error involved back then. What other explanation can there be?

https://www.thoughtco.com/highest-temperature-ever-recorded-1435172

Turns out the reports in France have been debunked by old newspaper articles from the 1930's, it was just as hot or hotter back then and in the 1870's as well.

https://notrickszone.com/

You really have to stay on top of the 'fake news' these days. If I were a warmist, I'd be outraged by this as it delegitimizes the actual problem we are facing. Skeptics like me just end up seeing this as more alarmist BS from the main stream media instead of just telling it like it is, just so sad. 

Latest study on sea level rise:

3 inches by 2050

9 inches by 2100

No need to buy a boat or sell you ocean front property folks.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468013319300567

After all this you still haven't contributed anything that is credible. I would love to have a discussion with you about this, but you are not offering up anything that is supported by facts.

Keep on trying though, it's always entertaining to see your posts. 

Another major construction season is underway at Keeyask Generating Station project, 725 kilometers (approximately 450 miles) north of Manitoba Hydro’s headquarters in downtown Winnipeg.

Located on the Lower Nelson River, the 695-megawatt hydroelectric station is currently on track to meet its $8.7 billion budget, with the first generator expected to go into service in October 2020.Keeyask will generate approximately 4,400 gigawatt-hours of renewable electricity per year — enough to power almost 400,000 homes.

a venture between Manitoba Hydro and four northern Indigenous communities: Tataskweyak Cree Nation, War Lake First Nation, York Factory First Nation, and the Fox Lake Cree Nation

https://www.manitobahydropower.com/news/keeyask-generating-station-building-legacy-of-reliable-renewable-energy/

Record-low solar prices at Brazil’s latest auction have cast fresh spotlight on the industry’s global journey to cost-competitiveness, with experts arguing it further weakens the case of fossil fuels.

The average solar prices of BRL67.48/MWh (around US$17.5/MWh) at last Friday’s A-4 auction would make PV the “cheapest power from any technology ever…in the history of the planet assuming it is confirmed subsidy-free,” Michael Liebreich, founder of BloombergNEF, remarked after the results were published.

https://www.pv-tech.org/news/50886