Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

Good for Hunt ...

Saints signed OLB Phillip Hunt.

Hunt made his name by leading the CFL in sacks in 2010, but he has just four sacks in 24 career games in the NFL. One of those takedowns came in Week 1 of this season with the Lions, but Hunt was released the next week. He should be nothing but a depth signing even on New Orleans' struggling defense.

If the Riders hire John Murphy... oh man I can't even begin to describe the amount of frustration that will bring.... watch them rebuild faster than the Bombers...

I wanted Murphy in 2013... I was hoping Walters would go to Guelph and we could get him now... and I just have this sick feeling he's gonna turn the riders around... it literally makes me feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it...

Ian Rapoport         @RapSheet

College news: Search firms have contacted @BCLions coach Jeff Tedford, previously of #Cal, to gauge his interest in returning to college.

As far as what college programs would like to see, he did a pretty good job this year. As a pro coach? Not particularly impressed.

My understanding is Wally interferes with everything. He's at every practice on the sidelines glaring. Tedford has to clear game day personnel with him even though he's head coach. Wally  has turned over that team's roster free agent wise the past 2 off seasons. The one that needs to go is Wally not Tedford. But Braley has said in the past that Buono has a job for life so Wally's not going anywhere.

I have heard from someone close to John Rush(Guelph University) that after the grey cup there will be announcement that he has signed with the bombers.  I know he just won the defensive player of the year for the CIS and he has potential but what is everyone's opinion of him.

here's an article on him  https://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/niagara-newspaper-story-on-john-rush/

A middle linebacker from Guelph, eh. Where have we heard that before?

All of the stories make mention of the fact that Rush is the first Gryphon to win the Presidents’ Trophy since Mike O’Shea in 1992.

Rush did burst onto the scene as described. He was racking up tackle stats from Day 1, including 32 his freshman season when he only started one game. Rush was 17 that year. Rush then played middle linebacker and served as a captain for Team Canada teams that beat the USA in the 2012 International Bowl and the 2012 IFAF World Junior Championships.

A 2nd team OUA all star in his second year, Rush was leading the CIS in tackles and playing like a potential All Canadian before his knee injury in his third year. Year 4, he had a solid but unspectacular season returning from knee surgery.

Rush’s injury obviously came at a bad time. He wasn’t at 100% in 2014, the season leading into his draft year. I really think that what he has done this season should get him a second look from CFL teams. I won’t be at all surprised if he is signed as a free agent and goes to a CFL training camp in 2016.

https://gryphonfootball.wordpress.com/2015/11/12/john-rush-named-winner-of-ouas-presidents-trophy/

Might be a sleeper.

CFL - End of Season Notes:

Offences increased their scoring by the equivalent of one more touchdown per game – up to 44.5 points on offence per game in 2015 from 37.7 points per game in 2014 (the lowest we had had since 1979). Compare that 18% increase in 2015 to the drastic 23% decrease in scoring offence for 2014 over 2013.

Scoring by offences averaged 40.1 points per game over the first half of the year, and jumped to 48.9 ppg over the final 41 games – a nice 22% increase.

In 2014 the CFL had a touchdown drive only one time in every 7.9 possessions – the lowest TD rate since the league started to track results by possession in 2008. In 2015, there were 48 more TD drives than there were in 2014 (357 TDs vs 309 TDs by offences) – an increase of 17%. One key is the dramatic reduction in Two-and-Outs in 2015: down by over 12% at 10.7 per game compared to 12.2 per game in 2014.

What the league didn't say, and it was nice of them not to point it out, was that if Winnipeg wasn't factored in, those Offensive stats would be a lot higher.

In 2015, 35% of CFL games (28 of 81) were decided by 4 points or less and that is an all-time CFL record; there were 44 games settled in the final 3:00, 54% of the total.

Major change over 2014 as passing was responsible for 74% of total yards gained compared to just 69% in 2014. That is an enormous change in just a single year. Total rushing attempts dropped from 39.7 per game down to 37.1 in 2015 – the fewest rushes per game in the last 23 years.

Following the rule change, kicked convert success rate dropped from 99.4% to 85.5% in 2015. That was better than the expected value of approx. 81% (the FG success rate from the distance 2010-2014).

2 point conversion rate was 65.9% The final result was higher than expected at 66% successful tries in 2015. The main reason was due to the rule change that moved the attempt to the 3-yard line – the rate declined as the season went on however.

In 2014, the CFL experienced an 18% increase in penalties per game, the largest jump in CFL history. Though they increased again in 2015 the growth was just 9%. The main area of increase was holding, illegal block and pass defence calls such as Illegal Contact on a Receiver.

102 Coaches's challenges 1.26 per gameVirtually unchanged in frequency and success rate from 2014 (1.23 per game) with 34% of them resulting in an overturned ruling on the field.