The Fight Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

I didn't see it coming but I wasn't nearly as shocked and surprised when it happened. 

Ronda was wild in her last 2 fights and you could definitely see all the media and distractions that she has had over the last 2 years definitely removed her focus from the game.  

It's nearly impossible to juggle both being a fighter and doing all the media/movies stuff.  Just like Cung Le and Gina Carano before her it just really is difficult. 

I also think she needs to go to a new camp because her corner was awful after round 1 during the break.  

The awful windmills and careless sprinting really made Ronda look amateur...   It's possible that her ego or that she bought the hype that she had an aura of invincibility really hurt her in the fight.    I can't imagine if she hadn't charged forward like that and slowed it down and tried to initiate some kind of clinch it would of went a lot different.

She looked like she panicked and didn't have a clue what to do... she looked gassed also.

I did watch most of the other fights on the card and it's nice to see Mark Hunt get yet another brutal one punch KO...  

Dana did not look or sound happy after the fight.  He had a scowl on his face when he went into the ring and made statements at the press conference basically saying this messed up their plans for Ronda.  He said it fell on him though since he's the one who OK'd Holm as an opponent rather than play it safe with someone like Miesha Tate.

It sets up a nice rematch IF Ronda comes back.  She has been very vocal lately about having a short fight career and possibly hanging up the gloves sooner rather than later.

The awful windmills and careless sprinting really made Ronda look amateur...   It's possible that her ego or that she bought the hype that she had an aura of invincibility really hurt her in the fight.    I can't imagine if she hadn't charged forward like that and slowed it down and tried to initiate some kind of clinch it would of went a lot different.

She looked like she panicked and didn't have a clue what to do... she looked gassed also.

I did watch most of the other fights on the card and it's nice to see Mark Hunt get yet another brutal one punch KO...  

Ronda has always been a bit wild with her striking.  It's been masked by the fact that most of her opponents had horrible game plans where they rushed her and allowed her to clinch after throwing a few punches.

There could be many things that factored in to how the fight played out.  She does a lot of travelling & appearances which takes away from the time she could be spending training.  She was not as ripped as she normally is so she is speculation that she didn't put in the work she needed to.

There has been drama between her trainer Edmond (who should be fired after his advice between rounds where he told her she did great & to keep it up?) and her mother so who knows where he head was at.  I think she definitely bought into Edmond's belief that she has elite striking skills... Holm, who is a 2 time woman's boxer of the year, showed her what world class striking looked like.  

Hunt did very well which is good to see.  He's committed himself to getting in much better physical condition lately and it's paying off.

I think she comes back as well but I don't know if I'd do the rematch right away. That was such a one sided fight that she may want to build her confidence back up. The difference in skill level on the feet was so big that many people feel the rematch would be similar... at least at this point in time.

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Silva and GSP in their prime were both considered to be the best, but Khabib is the best MMA has ever seen IMO.

I would have loved to see GSP vs Khabib both in their primes. I'm not sure how it would go but I think Khabib would take it. GSP remains one of my all-time favorites. 

Silva, was so good for so long. 

• 5 weeks later...