29 Years Ago Today

I remember being thrilled about not having to go to school and that's about it!

I remember riding my bike home from school on the Friday evening as it just started to snow.  And Monday they cancelled school due to the snow, tuesday was Remembrance day so no school anyway.  And then they made us go on the Wednesday.

My little sister had a heart issue and needed to go to the ER in the middle of the night.  A skidoo showed up for her and my mom and took them out to a major street where a 4X4 took them the rest of the way.  It was pretty crazy.

Interesting note, it was 20 years prior to this blizzard that they had the monster Blizzard of '66. I follow Burton Cummings on FB/Twitter, and he posts some interesting old pics, and just recently posted a pic of the 1966 blizzard. That one was just nuts. Snow drifts as high as the hydro poles. 

I was only 6 for the '86 blizzard, so it's a bit fuzzy, but the '97 one in Jan '97...that one I remember well. Was snowed in at my grandparents condo on Corydon for a couple days. Remember trying to walk to the Mac's on the corner to grab a magazine with my cousin, and the drifts just being massive. Remember cars being completely ditched in the middle of Corydon. 

I was only 6 for the '86 blizzard, so it's a bit fuzzy, but the '97 one in Jan '97...that one I remember well. Was snowed in at my grandparents condo on Corydon for a couple days. Remember trying to walk to the Mac's on the corner to grab a magazine with my cousin, and the drifts just being massive. Remember cars being completely ditched in the middle of Corydon. 

:P 97 was in April.It was during the flood remember?

:P 97 was in April.It was during the flood remember?

The blizzard was during the flood? 

Was a 2-day event at the end of January. I remember because we were in Winnipeg for the 2-day school break we had at the end of the term. We'd written exams and were in the city for a 2 day break at the end of Jan. 

Yeah, I'm wondering if this is one of those Mandela Effect things. I Googled it and sure enough says early April, but I swear to everything holy, I remember it being during the term break at the end of January. 'Cause I know I was in Winnipeg for a couple days with the grandparents over those two days and that's when it happened. There's something in this story I'm mis-remembering...it might be the school schedule....

Definitely 97 was April. I have some video of it. I worked over night shift at Grace Hospital which is set back from portage so we didn't know how bad it was til morning.

I had my mom's cavalier and it was damn good in the snow. Got all the way down pembina but the drifts were too high to get into Waverly Heights. Ditched the car in a parking lot and walked the rest of the way.

Thing is, snow clearing was so much more improved by 97. In 86 it took days and days to clean up. 97 was a lot faster.

And one month later it was warm and flooding

yeah im pretty sure the 97' one came later then jan cuz the blizzard hit when the water was already high (spring time) and it caused so much havoc and panic,  it took huge community effort to sandbag the sweet piss out of the city in a short time notice. I remember getting out of school to go sandbag by the schools request

yeah im pretty sure the 97' one came later then jan cuz the blizzard hit when the water was already high (spring time) and it caused so much havoc and panic, it took huge community effort to sandbag the sweet piss out of the city in a short time notice. I remember getting out of school to go sandbag by the schools request

Same here. My birthday is in mid April and I remember a huge snowfall the days surrounding.

We had final exams cancelled because we sandbagged for weeks.

My wife, infant son & myself would have been trapped in our apartment second floor balcony because of a 6  foot snowdrift. Our good neighbour saw it, shoveled his way up the outside stairs to our deck from the ground level & shoveled us out. I had no idea how bad it was until I went out once the storm died down to shovel myself & heard someone outside scraping outside our door. Really appreciate what he did that day. If something bad like a fire had happened we'd have been trapped. That's what Winnipeg was like those few days, people unselfishly helping each other out. Strangers caring about other strangers. 

Yeah, I'm wondering if this is one of those Mandela Effect things. I Googled it and sure enough says early April, but I swear to everything holy, I remember it being during the term break at the end of January. 'Cause I know I was in Winnipeg for a couple days with the grandparents over those two days and that's when it happened. There's something in this story I'm mis-remembering...it might be the school schedule....

we were on spring break so got an extra week of holidays

we were on spring break so got an extra week of holidays

Hmmm....I wonder if it was tail end of Spring Break and I was in the city for that final weekend before school. That's possible.....

• 11 months later...