'NHL is ready for gay player,'

There are many people who are gay and are not at all comfortable coming out because of the backlash and perceptions and hate that they would receive.  Just because you don't do it or don't see it happening, does not mean that gay people don't experience it or have anything to fear.

Are things getting better then they were?  Yes.  Are they perfect?  No.  

Like it or not, celebrities coming out help  being gay "accepted" by a larger portion or people, which in turn make people more comfortable leaving the life they want to without feeling the need to hide it.

Yes and many gay people afraid to come out because of people like Goalie and Taynted.  Sad really.

I dont condemn her for doing so, im just saying its not necessary to broadcast what you do in your personal life just because your a celebrity. the way I read this article was is that people are waiting for these announcements and have been for 2 years without one, and I ask why? if your gonna go public (celebrity or not) with your sexual orientation you'll do so, but others shouldnt be waiting for something that might not even exist. as I put, what if there are no gay players in the NHL?

Why dont you just not comment then?  You dont care.  You dont understand.  And you dont have a reasomable, well thought out discussion point.  So ignore this and every other related thread and discussion and move on.  This isnt for you obviously. 

you think me and goalie are hating and causing this fear? thats straight donkey ****.  where did we say it was wrong to be gay or anything like that, I fully accept and can appreciate a persons decision to be gay, I dont however feel its needed to make spectacle out of it. If anything I would think that gives it the impression it is still such a widely blatant issue that it needs poster celebs to enforce that its ok. this aint 1955, its 2015 and its been a pretty widely socially accepted thing for sometime. Maybe I dont see the hate as clearly as you do, but where do you live where racism and gay bashing is so over the top? i must live a sheltered life with my gay and multi-cultural friends

you think me and goalie are hating and causing this fear? thats straight donkey ****.  where did we say it was wrong to be gay or anything like that, I fully accept and can appreciate a persons decision to be gay, I dont however feel its needed to make spectacle out of it. If anything I would think that gives it the impression it is still such a widely blatant issue that it needs poster celebs to enforce that its ok. this aint 1955, its 2015 and its been a pretty widely socially accepted thing for sometime. Maybe I dont see the hate as clearly as you do, but where do you live where racism and gay bashing is so over the top? i must live a sheltered life with my gay and multi-cultural friends

Nope, sorry.  You dont get it.  Im not faulting you for not getting it.  But it would be like if I googled nuclear fusion and then posted on a discussion forum for experts.  I might think I get it, but I dont.  You dont.  Sorry.

The point of celebrities going public is to eventually make it a non-issue like it should be.  The fact that there are ZERO current or former NHL'ers that have come out proves that it's still doesn't have the acceptance level it needs to.  

Exactly. 

On the subject of Freddie Mercury, he kept his sexuality as somewhat of an open secret.  Being gay was illegal not long before Mercury was a star.  He also kept his AIDS status private but shortly before his death he felt the need to issue a statement admitting he had AIDS and asking the world to fight the disease. 

I dont understand the people that feel the need to express the "who cares" attitude.  Worse when they pretend they dont have prejudice on the subject by listing all their gay friends or saying they just consider it a non issue.  Its great if thats true but its not the way of the world.  It was just THIS YEAR that gays were allowed to be married in the US and to this day have to fight to exercise that right. 

with how very few athletes have come out in the open, I could give benefit to the doubt there may just not be that many gay athletes. perhaps the social stigma that the locker room culture would be unaccepting basically just kept kids growing up on the straight and narrow. I'd be more willing to believe there is maybe a lot of bisexual or bi-curious athletes, but strictly gay might be a lot fewer then people expect

The point of celebrities going public is to eventually make it a non-issue like it should be.  The fact that there are ZERO current or former NHL'ers that have come out proves that it's still doesn't have the acceptance level it needs to.  

Exactly. 

On the subject of Freddie Mercury, he kept his sexuality as somewhat of an open secret.  Being gay was illegal not long before Mercury was a star.  He also kept his AIDS status private but shortly before his death he felt the need to issue a statement admitting he had AIDS and asking the world to fight the disease. 

I dont understand the people that feel the need to express the "who cares" attitude.  Worse when they pretend they dont have prejudice on the subject by listing all their gay friends or saying they just consider it a non issue.  Its great if thats true but its not the way of the world.  It was just THIS YEAR that gays were allowed to be married in the US and to this day have to fight to exercise that right. 

im from canada, i really more care about what goes on in canada, the US people have never been a shining example of accepting ppl whatever the case

Nope, sorry.  You dont get it.  Im not faulting you for not getting it.  But it would be like if I googled nuclear fusion and then posted on a discussion forum for experts.  I might think I get it, but I dont.  You dont.  Sorry.

Lol at your lack of self-awareness for posting this. How long did you argue the niqab issue when you had no clue what you were talking about? Also, this isn't an apt analogy unless you consider the contributors to this thread experts is gay issues.

Lol at your lack of self-awareness for posting this. How long did you argue the niqab issue when you had no clue what you were talking about? Also, this isn't an apt analogy unless you consider the contributors to this thread experts is gay issues.

I chose a particularly silly comparison on purpose. lol  Plus, while Im not an expert on the Niqab I was not clueless.

Regardless, point is the same.  The poster I addressed has no understanding of the issue in question.  That much is clear.  But great contribution!

Exactly. 

im from canada, i really more care about what goes on in canada, the US people have never been a shining example of accepting ppl whatever the case

Which means what?  Is the NHL not a league operated in both Canada and the US?  Or you mean you dont care about the plight of gays unless they are in Canada?

Exactly. 

Which means what?  Is the NHL not a league operated in both Canada and the US?  Or you mean you dont care about the plight of gays unless they are in Canada?

Im more concerned with hate being abolished in Canada (my back yard) before I worry about others. Would I like to see Hate ended everywhere sure! but your holding your breath with the americans

The problem with saying "who cares?" is that by trying to sound accepting and tolerant (which I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming this is what you mean) what you're actually doing is at best minimizing and at worst disregarding a very real struggle for many people.

Yes, we should live in a world in which we are all so accepting and tolerant that sexual preference is a non issue but the reality is that we don't. Like it or not, this is an issue. If you want that to change, ignoring it isn't the answer.

I have gay friends, i work with gay people, They are great... good people. I don't care that they are gay and they are fine with that. They don't need me to care, they need their parents to accept them or friends or whoever else and in most cases, most of the gay people i know, they are accepted and they are loved by their loved ones. I think it's rare to find a gay person in 2015 who is afraid to come out.  I do accept them, They are friends, they are co-workers, I accept them for who they are. I don't care what they do in their bedrooms, I don't really want to know either, that's fair isn't it? 

I get that maybe some gay people, perhaps more so in sports and those who are in the spotlight could come out and be role models and say listen, I'm here, i'm *****, get used to it or whatever... That's fine. It's all good. 

I just think that it's none of my business so why would i actually care. If someone is gay, great, if it makes them happy, that's wonderful. Do i think they all need to come out and say HELLO my name is bill and I'm gay.. Nope. They don't but if they want too, that's fine too. 

Perhaps in sports and hollywood, things are a bit more difficult, who knows, All i know tho is there was a gay football player, michael sam, you know that none of us would have heard of him if he wasn't gay? He got drafted because he was gay, he got a chance in the CFL cuz he was gay... did he deserve that chance? Some will say he really didn't cuz he's not a good football player. My issue is gay people who use being gay as an excuse for failing, Michael Sam pretty much used it as an excuse, I have no time for those people, but  thankfull they are few and far between. Most gay people i know, all of them are good people, great people. I don't hate them, i just don't really care that they are gay. 

The problem with saying "who cares?" is that by trying to sound accepting and tolerant (which I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming this is what you mean) what you're actually doing is at best minimizing and at worst disregarding a very real struggle for many people.

Yes, we should live in a world in which we are all so accepting and tolerant that sexual preference is a non issue but the reality is that we don't. Like it or not, this is an issue. If you want that to change, ignoring it isn't the answer.

Well said. Sadly those that don't get it won't get it.

I don't even know where to start given the level of ignorance demonstrated by that line. UP is right, you should just STFU.

I have gay friends, i work with gay people, They are great... good people. I don't care that they are gay and they are fine with that. They don't need me to care, they need their parents to accept them or friends or whoever else and in most cases, most of the gay people i know, they are accepted and they are loved by their loved ones. I think it's rare to find a gay person in 2015 who is afraid to come out.  I do accept them, They are friends, they are co-workers, I accept them for who they are. I don't care what they do in their bedrooms, I don't really want to know either, that's fair isn't it? 

I get that maybe some gay people, perhaps more so in sports and those who are in the spotlight could come out and be role models and say listen, I'm here, i'm *****, get used to it or whatever... That's fine. It's all good. 

I just think that it's none of my business so why would i actually care. If someone is gay, great, if it makes them happy, that's wonderful. Do i think they all need to come out and say HELLO my name is bill and I'm gay.. Nope. They don't but if they want too, that's fine too. 

Perhaps in sports and hollywood, things are a bit more difficult, who knows, All i know tho is there was a gay football player, michael sam, you know that none of us would have heard of him if he wasn't gay? He got drafted because he was gay, he got a chance in the CFL cuz he was gay... did he deserve that chance? Some will say he really didn't cuz he's not a good football player. My issue is gay people who use being gay as an excuse for failing, Michael Sam pretty much used it as an excuse, I have no time for those people, but  thankfull they are few and far between. Most gay people i know, all of them are good people, great people. I don't hate them, i just don't really care that they are gay. 

It's exactly about "role models": for young people struggling with revealing their sexuality. It provides the example that look, a successful gay athlete/actor/etc, "maybe that could be me. You just don't get it at all.

Tonnes of lesbian fighters in the UFC, does anyone care...not at all.

So does each sport require each type of sexual preference to come out? What did Micheal Sam do for the gay community by coming out? Nothing at all.

Unknown poster.. For someone who wants people to safely come out it'd kind of weird to support wrestling which is awful to gay people. (See Golddust, Orlando Jordan in tna or Beautiful bobby locally) which ridiculed and made gay people look like monsters.

The gay hockey player has already came out (albeit under awful circumstances). You don't think Theo Fleury story isn't power enough?