Ladd and Buff

Ducky

On 03/02/2016 at 5:42 PM, Ducky said:

I think Buff will transition well when he gets older....I

Is that based on anything other than wishful thinking? The guys who seem to have the best long term careers are the ones who stay in great shape throughout their entire careers and Buff has had issues with being too heavy already, those things don't get any easier when you get older. 

I have been saying this for months and 2 weeks ago Lawless said he was talking to a GM and he said people shouldn't worry about Buff because he is smart enough to change his game once he starts losing a step. Arguably the smartest player on the team has has great vision. Has been in shape since Maurice took over and comes into TC in shape.

Do you have a reason why he won't or just feel like spouting off.

I agree tjay Buff relies on smarts a lot which is something he shouldn't lose. Smarts and vision. But his fitness is fair game.  He seems certainly very fit at his size rigt now but it gets a lot harder to stay fit as you age. It won't be that he loses the knowledge of where to be but loses the ability to get there. 

But if he signs for six years and gives us four elite years and one average year and one bad year it's still worth it 

It has been said by Lawless that one year when he came in really out of shape and put on all the weight was the year his father passed away which hit him hard and affected his off ice workouts.

I think there are valid concerns with any body of his size that may deteriorate with age, especially the knees / joints / back.  But his off ice conditioning hasn't been a problem at all since that one year.

Hahaha, Buff telling Doan, "quit running our goalies you POS or I'll fu#$%ng kill you!" when he ran into Helle is exactly what these young guys need to see/hear. Buff ALWAYS sticks up for his team mates. You have to. He is the first one in here when Scheifele needs it...

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

Hahaha, Buff telling Doan, "quit running our goalies you POS or I'll fu#$%ng kill you!" when he ran into Helle is exactly what these young guys need to see/hear. Buff ALWAYS sticks up for his team mates. You have to. He is the first one in here when Scheifele needs it...

I loved that hit.... Jumped out of my seat when it happened.

this dovetails nkcely into my theory that they have moved on to Buff because they have negotiated ladd down to his bottom dollar.  So they do the same with Buff and see if they can chisel enough off to afford both. If not they have both "final offers" in front of them and can make an informed decision

This team needs a rebuild of sorts. Move Ladd. I'm torn on buff cuz even with him gone... Trouba Myers are there plus Hamonic preferred destination aka only place that he will accept a trade 2 is here. Rhd is stacked.  Torn cuz I love buff but... I think a rebuild is necessary. Someone mentioned that this team crumbles without him. Well... this year  they have crumbled with him. Would love to sign him tho but... at the same time I think there needs to be significant change. Scares me that Chevy wants to sign both cuz IMO he doesn't recognize the problems that exist with this team 

Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning.

As part of a larger discussion on the Winnipeg Jets:

“… They are making a big run at Byfuglien. They’re in the middle of negotiations right now, and there’s at least some belief that could happen soon.

“I was told with Ladd that they were somewhere around $750,000 a year apart. Everybody was being really cagey. But one guy who’s not affiliated with either of them – Ladd or the team – said to me he doesn’t think it’s that much. He thinks if both sides – and I mentioned this on Saturday – if both sides are willing to give, he thinks a deal could get done there. But he said the biggest problem is both sides feel they’ve given a lot already.”

On if the Ladd contract might be one that’s regretted quickly -term-wise – after being signed:

“Who’s term are you more scared of – Ladd’s or Byfuglien’s?

Ladd’s.

“Okay. I think the Jets probably agree with you right now because they’re trying to get Byfuglien done. Byfuglien… if the Jets get away with five years – but it’s probably six. And I think Ladd is six too. I think they were looking at six years for both guys. They didn’t want to go six for Byfuglien, but they’re getting there now. Closer to there.”

(The conversation on the Jets continues from there…)

Source: Sportsnet 960/ Transcript: Nichols

Interesting discussion on 1290 this morning as it pertains to Ladd.  It *was* ladd or Buff.  Is it now, Ladd or Perreault?

Perreault 1 yr left at 3M. Last 2 years PTS/GM Perr .65 Ladd .69, CF% Perr 57.3 Ladd 53. Both will get north of 5M. Perr 2 years younger.

I think Perreault might be the more key signing.  When I watch him play I just think he's often times the straw stirring the drink.   I'd lock Perreault up long term.  And if signing Ladd meant losing Perreault, I wouldnt like that at all.

Perreault's a gem. Love the way the guy plays. Only concern I'd have is long-term, can he stay healthy consistently? Better yet, can he start staying healthy consistently. Never played even close to a full 82 games.

The thing about Ladd, and even considering this year, is you know what you're going to get. 20-25 goals, 50-60 pts and he probably won't miss a game.

Back to the decision between the two; if market for Ladd is as great as many believe it to be, reasonable choice is to trade Ladd & sign Perreault.  I would think we could get him back for even a modest raise on that $3M/yr.  4 yrs $14M get it done? Maybe $15M?

On 2/3/2016 at 11:55 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

I have a feeling that both Ladd and Matty P will not be resign. Possible that Perrault could ask for 5mil 5 years way to much for him, considering some of the prospects may be ready to move up makes him expendable. Now if Ladd does get resigned you never know, then Perrault is definitely gone.

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Perreault really enjoys it here and has said that on multiple occasions. He actually loves it here. I could easily see him signing here and for reasonable money. probably around 4 y ears at 4 4.5 a year max. He won't get 5 million a year anywere i don't think. 

Maybe gives us a discount for being the team that went after him originally.  hopefully!  But I agree, not much over $4m I think.  He does a lot but its not like he's scoring 30 goals.

No. But he's putting up 30 assists probably and that's just as important. He's also good in his own zone, likes it here. Basically, my point is... he won't be looking for Ladd money. That's what it comes down 2 IMO.

It's all about how you spend your money...

This is partly the reason i think Enstrom is traded, regardless of LHD depth. He's being paid 2 much. It plays a role, he's being paid 2 much for what he brings. 

Perreault is also younger than Ladd and is also more versatile, he can play wing and center. That plays a role. He's a good guy, a guy mentor to the younger guys, all heart, plays the right way every game, game in game out... 4 4.5 million for a 3rd liner vs 6.5 or more for Ladd. It's obvious.

Chevy alluded to all this last night, saying you need to spend your money wisely and it's all based on projections. Those projections include the Cap... it also includes, guys like Connor and to a lesser extent Lemieux. If these 2 are ready to jump in to the lineup next year... why do you need Ladd, or even if one of them is, Ladd would be nice to have and honestly if he was willing to sign for 4 4.5 million a year, i'd take him over Perreault every day of the week and twice on Sundays but.. reality, he's not. 

Bottom line, Perreault is the better value signing. 

Edited by Goalie