How to turn off a fanbase and build a solid disconnect with any new young fans.

IC Khari

Fans need to get excited... Not depressed..

We have no superstars and rotate mediocre guys in and out. What is there to cheer about?

Cheer if not for any other reason other than you want to support your team. We don't need a team of Stegalls or Robertses to get fans excited.

I'm usually a pretty good reader but did I just read what I thought I just read. Yep, I did. Where's the blue koolaid?
This guy works for the Bombers so you're going to hear the same corporate BS from him as you would from Wade himself. The only reason he's a mod here is because one of the admins/mods sucks anyone's ass who's linked to the Bombers.

Hasnt he had the same opinion the entire time hes been here?

Smh.

I've been told he's been a mod here since day one, so I stand corrected there.  But either way, he just spews corporate spin like a Bomber spokesperson.

Hes been a positive poster. i dont recall any serious hardcore shilling for the club..

We have no superstars and rotate mediocre guys in and out. What is there to cheer about?

Cheer if not for any other reason other than you want to support your team. We don't need a team of Stegalls or Robertses to get fans excited.

I'm usually a pretty good reader but did I just read what I thought I just read. Yep, I did. Where's the blue koolaid?
This guy works for the Bombers so you're going to hear the same corporate BS from him as you would from Wade himself. The only reason he's a mod here is because one of the admins/mods sucks anyone's ass who's linked to the Bombers.

Smh.

I've been told he's been a mod here since day one, so I stand corrected there.  But either way, he just spews corporate spin like a Bomber spokesperson.

Hes been a positive poster. i dont recall any serious hardcore shilling for the club..

Well for one, his advertisement is pinned in this forum.  Do the Bombers pay for that advertising? 

Smh.

Even though I'm negative a lot here (yeah, yeah, yeah, I admit it) because I'm unhappy... nothing wrong with some positivity once in awhile. 

What made me a fan? The players coming to my school when I was younger. They are local celebrities and having them come to my school was super cool. Chris Walby was actually a substitute gym teacher for a week. I didn't really care if they won or lost really.... I just cared that holy crap that dude talked to me a month or so ago. Picture on twitter of mo Leggett and a little girl. .. think that girl cares if they win or lose? Hell no. That's her friend now

the kickers have been smoking poles all season long. that'll cost us a few tickets next year

Who ... has been doing ... What?

Oh never mind. Not going there, don't want to know.

I'm 23.. been a fan my whole life, was on on ob.com at 15. My friends all laugh at me. Everyone thinks the bombers are a joke.

I'm 59.. been a fan my whole life. I pick up the phone and call my pals in Wpg and they all laugh at me. Everyone thinks the bombers are a joke.

Alex Suber coming to my kids practice lit the interest fire for sure in him and his team mates but that was his 1st year of terminator football (age 7-8) so thats been a while now and lack of a good team on the field has worn out a bit.  I really like the getting back on the field thing trueblue mentioned though,  other then meeting some pretty old alumni at the tailgate party,  there hasnt been much to connect with the team for him as far as Ive seen personally

What made me a fan? The players coming to my school when I was younger. They are local celebrities and having them come to my school was super cool. Chris Walby was actually a substitute gym teacher for a week. I didn't really care if they won or lost really.... I just cared that holy crap that dude talked to me a month or so ago. Picture on twitter of mo Leggett and a little girl. .. think that girl cares if they win or lose? Hell no. That's her friend now

In grade 7, Bomber qb Luther Selbo was my substitute phys ed teacher at Churchill High School for a period of time. Never met a pro athlete before never mind being my teacher. It left a lasting impression to this day. 

This football club does a lot more than it ever has before in the community, at schools, different organizations with youths, player appearances, etc.  We relaunched the Winnipeg Youth Football Club, going out to schools all over nearly everyday, running a new flag football program.  Our partners donate thousands of tickets back to these schools and other organizations.  For others, our family zone has 1/2 price tickets so that it's affordable for a family of 4 to come to a game.  We have multiple fan events during the year where we encourage the kids to come out, use the various inflatables and meet the players. There are the BB Kids Club and the My First Bomber Game programs. The Flight Deck Program has bee huge and connects with amateur teams from all sports every home game. 

Not to mention, one of the biggest things that I wished we did when I was a kid:  Having the field open after games for the fans to come and run around and toss some footballs and get pictures with Buzz & Boomer and a few of the players who always come out, win or lose. 

Winning football games obviously goes without saying and speeds things up, but It takes time to connect, and turn these kids into life long fans.  To say the team isn't doing enough....well you're probably just not aware of how involved and concentrated we are here with this process and understanding how important it truly is. 

If anyone does have any other suggestions for other initiatives we can look at going forward, don't hesitate to let me know. 

Good stuff. When I was in high school (+40 years ago) running track at Polo Park arena in the provincials it was very exciting to see guys like Don Jonas shaking hands with us on the winners' podium. Another time I remember my dad approaching one of the players and getting a signed J5V football. Very exciting times and those players were larger than life to us kids. 

If things get much worse and it starts affecting the bottom line I can see the league getting involved wanting to know what is wrong with us for so long. Maybe they can officially fold us, restart us, and let us have an Ottawa-style new player draft. Of course, we'd probably screw that up.

This football club does a lot more than it ever has before in the community, at schools, different organizations with youths, player appearances, etc.  We relaunched the Winnipeg Youth Football Club, going out to schools all over nearly everyday, running a new flag football program.  Our partners donate thousands of tickets back to these schools and other organizations.  For others, our family zone has 1/2 price tickets so that it's affordable for a family of 4 to come to a game.  We have multiple fan events during the year where we encourage the kids to come out, use the various inflatables and meet the players. There are the BB Kids Club and the My First Bomber Game programs. The Flight Deck Program has bee huge and connects with amateur teams from all sports every home game. 

Not to mention, one of the biggest things that I wished we did when I was a kid:  Having the field open after games for the fans to come and run around and toss some footballs and get pictures with Buzz & Boomer and a few of the players who always come out, win or lose. 

Winning football games obviously goes without saying and speeds things up, but It takes time to connect, and turn these kids into life long fans.  To say the team isn't doing enough....well you're probably just not aware of how involved and concentrated we are here with this process and understanding how important it truly is. 

If anyone does have any other suggestions for other initiatives we can look at going forward, don't hesitate to let me know. 

Good stuff. When I was in high school (+40 years ago) running track at Polo Park arena in the provincials it was very exciting to see guys like Don Jonas shaking hands with us on the winners' podium. Another time I remember my dad approaching one of the players and getting a signed J5V football. Very exciting times and those players were larger than life to us kids. 

Life has sure changed. Nothing is like that anymore. 

Cheer if not for any other reason other than you want to support your team.  We don't need a team of Stegalls or Robertses to get fans excited. 

Huh? How about one Stegall and/or one Roberts?

If things get much worse and it starts affecting the bottom line I can see the league getting involved wanting to know what is wrong with us for so long. Maybe they can officially fold us, restart us, and let us have an Ottawa-style new player draft. Of course, we'd probably screw that up.

No, can't ever see that happening. The CFL will never get involved unless the team becomes insolvent. What I do worry about is we become another Ottawa Rough Rider situation where no one cares anymore & we get 10,000 fans out to IGF to keep  watching the team lose, lose, lose. 

Gbill, here's a little mathematical formula that might help you understand how life works: 

What makes up 100% in life? 

If: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z is represented as: 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26. 

Then: 

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K 
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98% 

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E 
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96% 

But, 
A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E 
1+20+20+9+20+21+4 5 = 100% 

And, 
B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T 
21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103% 

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you. A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G 
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118% 

So, one can then conclude with mathematical certainty that: Hard work and knowledge will get you close. Attitude will get you there, however, Bullshit and Ass kissing will put you over the top!

Respectfully, winning helps create fans. They may begin as bandwagon jumpers and then develop into life long fans.

More importantly, with all due respect to the poster who works for the club, having stars helps attract and build fans. I think all of us know people who became fans because of Milt or Roberts as examples.

For me, it was Kenny Ploen, Dave Raimey, Ken Nielsen & Phil Minnick. 

For me it was Don Jonas, Mack Herron, Jim Thorpe, and Mickey Doyle.

Respectfully, winning helps create fans. They may begin as bandwagon jumpers and then develop into life long fans.

More importantly, with all due respect to the poster who works for the club, having stars helps attract and build fans. I think all of us know people who became fans because of Milt or Roberts as examples.

For me, it was Kenny Ploen, Dave Raimey, Ken Nielsen & Phil Minnick. 

For me it was Don Jonas, Mack Herron, Jim Thorpe, and Mickey Doyle.

If I get another Blue Bomber jersey it'll either be #27 Raimey or #54 Minnick

It began for me when I was working my summer job with Canada Packers on Marion Street and meeting Minnick, Miller and that group as they were coming off the practice field. Seems to me that players were a lot less arrogant at that time. And Joe Critchlow was a neighbour for a while.