Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

What would be the point of this, to try and avoid leaks as to what is discussed? Seems disrespectful and heavy handed.

@paulvieira: Senior Harper aides said to block defeated Conservative MPs from attending final caucus meeting, reports @InklessPW https://t.co/DXUyYO1FVL

To me, this sums up the final years of the Harper Government. Say what you like about his early years, but toward the end...this was his legacy, and it doesn't seem surprising.

And that's the thanks these former MPs get from Harper? That's bad.

Might be that a few of these ex-MP's might actually throw off the muzzle and speak their minds on the election results and the direction the party is headed. Harper is a control freak beyond compare and he probably doesn't want dissenting viewpoints voiced less the party divides back into it's original fragments of PC's and Reformers. Why he would even give a **** at this point is anyone's guess as he has basically left the party bereft of any legitimate successors.

Stephen Fletcher was pretty outspoken about the campaign strategy after the election. I'm guessing he's not the only one.

Is this where Conservative supporters come to lick their wounds?

Better than the other thread where anti cons pretend everyone voted for Trudeau. ;)

Speaking of the NDP:

@ezralevant: Alberta NDP to announce largest deficit ever. But they're not really Alta NDP. 80% senior staff from out of province https://t.co/qCMzjwe1yR

This has potential to become a story. Apparently Trudeau is not going to live at the PM's resident due to the state of disrepair.

@CTVNews: Crumbling 24 Sussex makes Canada look like 'a bunch of cheap guys,' Chretien tells @ctvqp https://t.co/UlUYcJDAJzhttps://t.co/iGP6GKZwkq

If you provide a link to a news station's website where they have created a write up of the exact thing you mentioned... does not mean that is already a story?

Or do you mean that this news item has the possibility of gaining legs and drum up an anti-trudeau movement because he is spending tax payers hard earned cash on his cushy new digs? Or the fact that a 10000 square foot mansion is not good enough for Justin? Or do mean there is a possibility that Sun news will launch some ridiculous headline like: "Rock Star trudeau, has rock star excessive taste, mansion not enough!"

He's Teflon right now... not going to happen (other than in hard right rags).

Besides, that link seemed more of a sympathetic mews item.

Well I'm bored so I'll just tell you

I've seen some conservative supporters taking the position the residence does not need renovations. Harper wouldn't let the work take place. I because it's a political albatross. And that will be the same reason some liberals won't want to do it.

But there will be some who won't want prince justin living in a hovel so they will lobby for repairs. It's funny Chrétien lobbies for this now and not, say, five years ago.

But regardless personally the work should be done. And if Ottawa is too immature to do it without making it political then they should set up some routine method to do this sort of work without say from the government of the day.

It might not resonate with average Canadians but the residence should be a splendid place to host dignitaries and a great and comfortable place for the PM and his family to live.

Id be concerned about security too... So I say fix it up. Make it beautiful.

This has potential to become a story. Apparently Trudeau is not going to live at the PM's resident due to the state of disrepair.

@CTVNews: Crumbling 24 Sussex makes Canada look like 'a bunch of cheap guys,' Chretien tells @ctvqp https://t.co/UlUYcJDAJzhttps://t.co/iGP6GKZwkq

If you provide a link to a news station's website where they have created a write up of the exact thing you mentioned... does not mean that is already a story?

Or do you mean that this news item has the possibility of gaining legs and drum up an anti-trudeau movement because he is spending tax payers hard earned cash on his cushy new digs? Or the fact that a 10000 square foot mansion is not good enough for Justin? Or do mean there is a possibility that Sun news will launch some ridiculous headline like: "Rock Star trudeau, has rock star excessive taste, mansion not enough!"

He's Teflon right now... not going to happen (other than in hard right rags).

Besides, that link seemed more of a sympathetic mews item.

If 24 Sussex Drive is unsafe & has asbestos, mould, plumbing problems & foundation issues it should be fixed or demolished & a new one built. I don't expect our PM (whoever he/she may be or what politcal affiliation they may have) to live in a 1,200 sq ft 3 BR bungalow in the burbs. 

Some info from Wili

24 Sussex is a large limestone structure set on 1.6 hectares (4.0 acres) on the south bank of the Ottawa River, next to the French embassy and opposite the main entrance to Rideau Hall. The residence consists of 34 rooms spread on four floors, including the basement. The latter consists of support rooms, while the main floor holds the dining room, living room, kitchen (which is staffed by a head chef and support staff), main stair hall, prime minister's library, and a sun room. The second floor is primarily bedrooms, including the master bedroom, as well as the office of prime minister's spouse. The third floor contains additional bedrooms and a private study for the prime minister.

The National Capital Commission maintains a selection of historic furnishings from the Crown Collection for use in the public rooms of the mansion, ranging from musical instruments to chairs, tables, and paintings by famous Canadians. Due to the lack of restraints on the prime minister of the day to do what he or she pleases with the home, several prime ministers have left their own marks on the building. For example, unnamed business associates of Pierre Trudeau installed a swimming pool for his frequent workouts. The pool reportedly cost C$275,000 due to an underground access increasing the expense. This was raised in a "public fund" headed by Keith Davey, the donors to which were never made public.[6][7] Brian Mulroney was the first prime minister to have the costs of renovations publicly revealed. The high tab for his and his wife's alterations to the building caused political controversy, especially as some of the costs were paid for from the PC Canada Fund, which raised money from individual donations to fund the Progressive Conservative Party.

Since then, very little has been spent on renovating the building, leaving parts of it somewhat worn and outdated. The house lacks central air conditioning, being cooled only by a series of window-mounted air conditioners. In November 2004, Prime Minister Paul Martin complained about the house's heating system. According to his statement, the century-old house gets "too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer." Harper moved in on February 9, 2006, and has said he may move out temporarily during a future summer, so that renovations may be done. On May 6, 2008, the Auditor General reported that the house is in poor condition and needs about C$10 million in repairs and upgrades, which would require at least 12 to 15 months of "full access" to complete.[8] In October 2015 Margaret Trudeau asserted that her son, newly elected Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and his family, will not move in, pending a review of repairs needed to repair the home, and will reside elsewhere in Ottawa in the meantime.[9]

Here in Kelowna-Lake Country, this is the "package" the defeated Conservative candidate, Ron Cannan will receive;

Election 2015: Local MP's pension should soften loss

posted Oct 20, 2015 at 3:00 PM— updated Oct 20, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Outgoing Kelowna Lake Country MP Ron Cannan will walk away from politics with more than a pat on the back for a job well done.

According to the Canadian Taxpayers federation, Cannan will get a Severence of $83,700 and an annual pension $46,632, up to a maximum of $2,348,810.

“Losing an election can be tough, but most MPs will have a soft financial landing,” said CTF Federal Director Aaron Wudrick. “The good news is that thanks to the hard-fought pension reforms that take effect on Jan. 1, 2016, taxpayers will not have to shoulder as much of the burden in the future.”

For MPs who retired or were defeated on Monday, taxpayers contributed $17 for every $1 put into the plan by an MP towards their pension. After January 1, 2016, the ratio will gradually shift to a ratio of $1.60 in taxpayer contributions for every $1 put in by an MP or Senator.

Wudrick noted that eight former MPs will gather more than $100,000-plus a year in pension income including outgoing Conservative cabinet ministers John Duncan ($132,394), Peter MacKay ($117,746) and Bernard Valcourt ($116,987). In terms of lifetime estimated benefits to age 90, 21 MPs are projected to collect more than $3 million, including MacKay ($5.9 million), Liberal Gerry Byrne ($5.2 million) and Conservative Rob Anders ($4.7 million).

“These pension changes are a welcome step towards broader public sector pension reform,” added Wudrick. “We encourage the new government to take the necessary steps to ensure government employee pensions are more in line with what the vast majority of Canadians working in the private sector expect to receive.”

We know this. It;s not news anymore. 's just getting tiresome. Blah, blah, blah. I don't like this anymore than anybody else but the CTF always comes out after a federal election to whine & *****. Or their provincial affiliates after a provincial election. Well, I never hear these guys ever do anything but complain. Never heard of them ever having any influence on pension reform in the H of C. The MPs the CTF endorse mightily always end up ripping off taxpayers when they retire or get defeated. Working for the CTF is a pretty easy job if you ask me, 

Here in Kelowna-Lake Country, this is the "package" the defeated Conservative candidate, Ron Cannan will receive;

Election 2015: Local MP's pension should soften loss

posted Oct 20, 2015 at 3:00 PM— updated Oct 20, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Outgoing Kelowna Lake Country MP Ron Cannan will walk away from politics with more than a pat on the back for a job well done.

According to the Canadian Taxpayers federation, Cannan will get a Severence of $83,700 and an annual pension $46,632, up to a maximum of $2,348,810.

“Losing an election can be tough, but most MPs will have a soft financial landing,” said CTF Federal Director Aaron Wudrick. “The good news is that thanks to the hard-fought pension reforms that take effect on Jan. 1, 2016, taxpayers will not have to shoulder as much of the burden in the future.”

For MPs who retired or were defeated on Monday, taxpayers contributed $17 for every $1 put into the plan by an MP towards their pension. After January 1, 2016, the ratio will gradually shift to a ratio of $1.60 in taxpayer contributions for every $1 put in by an MP or Senator.

Wudrick noted that eight former MPs will gather more than $100,000-plus a year in pension income including outgoing Conservative cabinet ministers John Duncan ($132,394), Peter MacKay ($117,746) and Bernard Valcourt ($116,987). In terms of lifetime estimated benefits to age 90, 21 MPs are projected to collect more than $3 million, including MacKay ($5.9 million), Liberal Gerry Byrne ($5.2 million) and Conservative Rob Anders ($4.7 million).

“These pension changes are a welcome step towards broader public sector pension reform,” added Wudrick. “We encourage the new government to take the necessary steps to ensure government employee pensions are more in line with what the vast majority of Canadians working in the private sector expect to receive.”

This is probably one of the highlights of Harper's reforms but unfortunately for him it encouraged the most experienced members  of his caucus to clean out their desks prior to the election. 

The Anders pension just burns...even the Reformers couldn't stand that guy.

Not sure who this guy is exactly but the fact that he is associated with Rebel Media demonstrates that they have lost both their minds and their credibility......if they ever had any to begin with that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscWceyY9Fg

Very disrespectful.  He's the friggen Prime Minister (or about to become).  I hated it when PM Harper was personally attacked and I hate it when it's JT.  Respect the position.  It defeats the argument.

Now its entirely possible what this person is saying is true about Trudeau being "dumb".  I dont know him.  But thats a poor way to make a point.

Not every thing that tax dollars get spent on is bad. Fixing up the home of our leader should be something worth doing. Do it once, do it properly, and then it's good for a long time, no matter who's living in there. You think the Americans would even debate something like this???

Not every thing that tax dollars get spent on is bad. Fixing up the home of our leader should be something worth doing. Do it once, do it properly, and then it's good for a long time, no matter who's living in there. You think the Americans would even debate something like this???

No, the Americans would have fixed it already...and added a new west wing..

The problem is the media and partisan politics.  It doesnt even matter who is in office.  If Harper allowed these repairs, the Liberals would be screaming.  If Trudeau does these repairs, the Cons will be screaming.  And the media will be asking middle class Canadians if they think the PM needs $10 million of renos on a mansion.  And middle class Canadians will say, hey I get by with a $200,000 home, why cant he.

I think how the residence is used hurts too.  Its not really used to host official functions (or not often If Im not mistaken) so its seen as merely a place for a rich guy to live.  It should be repaired to made to be beautiful and splendid and used to host more functions and have more official uses.  Would they let the Parliament building fall into disrepair?  Ofcourse not.

I know they increased security after that nut job tried to get at Chretien and made it to his bedroom door.  But I'd be nervous about security if this is how cheap we are.  Are the windows bullet proof?  Are there armed security on the grounds and roof?  Is there encrypted phone and internet lines?  Is there a safe room with communication links?  The attack on the Parliament building shows us that its not out of the realm of possibility that someone might attack Canada and if this building is known to be lax, why not go after it?  If Canada ever came under attack, wouldnt we want to know the PM was a) safe B) in control of the nation?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-will-move-into-rideau-cottage-not-24-sussex-1.3289102

Justin Trudeau and his family will not be moving into 24 Sussex Drive, the office of the prime minister-designate said in a written statement today.

"Justin Trudeau, his wife, Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau, and their three children will be immediately relocating to Rideau Cottage, part of the Rideau Hall grounds in the National Capital Region," his office said on Monday.

"Mr. Trudeau and his family will reside at Rideau Cottage until further notice," the statement said. 

"The Prime Minister-designate will make decisions regarding 24 Sussex Drive once he has been fully briefed by officials."

24 Sussex Drive in Ottawa is the prime minister's official residence.

Interesting:

October 26, 2015 Globe admits spiking Wynne’s teacher unions pay-off story until after federal election Dean SkoreykoRebel Blogger

We now have concrete proof that the Globe and Mail decided not to run a story during the campaign that would have hurt the federal Liberals:

National Editor Dennis Choquette said the earliest the story could have been ready for publication was for Monday morning’s paper: federal voting day. He said he decided to wait.

“Voters were not being asked to elect a provincial government, so I did not feel that we were withholding essential information that could inform their decision at the polls. We did risk our appearance of neutrality, however, were we to have published on Election Day,” Mr. Choquette said.

But most disgusting is the Globe and Mail’s public editor Sylvia Stead agreeing:

In my view, if Ontario was voting that day for its own government, there would be no question the story should be published. Voters need to know as much key information as can be provided to inform their vote. I agree that this was clearly a separate level of government and a provincial not a federal issue.

To say that a scandal about the primary campaigner for Justin Trudeau, Kathleen Wynne was not relevant to the federal election defies logic.

Choquette and Stead should both be fired but we know they won’t be.

Not sure who this guy is exactly but the fact that he is associated with Rebel Media demonstrates that they have lost both their minds and their credibility......if they ever had any to begin with that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscWceyY9Fg

Very disrespectful.  He's the friggen Prime Minister (or about to become).  I hated it when PM Harper was personally attacked and I hate it when it's JT.  Respect the position.  It defeats the argument.

Now its entirely possible what this person is saying is true about Trudeau being "dumb".  I dont know him.  But thats a poor way to make a point.

I agree.  Just like the nuts and loons attacked Harper with mostly made up gibberish and out-right lies, this video is disgraceful in the same way.  I am all for criticism, but let it be fact-based.  Attacking Trudeau before he's even sworn in is just sour grapes, I am afraid.

Harperairport.ca

Toronto’s main airport is named after a Liberal Prime Minister, Lester Pearson. Montreal’s main airport is named a Liberal Prime Minister, Pierre Elliot Trudeau. And Saskatoon’s airport is named after Conservative Prime Minister, John Diefenbaker.

Calgary's airport is the third busiest airport in Canada -- but it doesn't have a name. It's called the Calgary International Airport or YYC, its letter name.

So why not rename it the Stephen Harper International Airport?

Harper's been a major figure in Calgary for more than 20 years. First elected as an MP in 1993. United the right; beat the Liberals three times. Helped change the country.

Let's rename the Calgary International Airport, the Stephen Harper International Airport. It wouldn’t be Harper’s style — he’s not a show-off, he’s not about selfies, and an airport named after you is the ultimate selfie.

But he deserves it.