Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

how is that even possible - no layoff clause.  I remember the out-going NDP in Nova Scotia did a similar "screw you" to the taxpayers and handicapped the ability of the government taking over to lay off a lot of the unnecessary NDP deadwood they had hired during their 4 years of mismanagement and corruption.  In BC the NDP gave the BC teacher's union control of class size and composition, if you can believe it (talk about a conflict of interest) before being punted out of office.  The Liberals took away this right almost immediately, and now it's been in court for 15 years, with a final ruling to be handed down by the Supreme Court of Canada (the Supreme Court of BC ruled in the government's favour).  Hard to believe that unions can be given rights like no layoff clauses and the ability to hire as many teachers as it sees fit, and the government coming afterwards is powerless to stop this blatant screw job, or has to incur millions of dollars of costs (taxpayer dollars all) just to fix it. 

We are almost due for another NDP government here in BC, and I can just see those bozos handing the BCTF the class size and composition power again, with another gazillion dollars spent in legal fees after the NDP are punted to claw that right back again.  Oh.. I just love the NDP...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

There was danger & still is that I'll lose my left leg below the knee as I have been dealing with a foot infection that is resistant to antibiotics. I had surgery for the third time since last July to try to get the thing stopped. My doctors think they have found the appropriate antibiotics to get rid of it but I'll still have 2-3 months to go before I'm fine with no amputation. Thanks for asking kbf. Appreciate it. #fingerscrossed

Goodness.  Best wishes man.  

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Not 100% true.  The MGEU is made up of different locals so there are multiple contracts that got negotiated.  Some contracts did include a 4 year no layoff clause but not all of them.

That's ridiculous that one government can do that.  Then again, I wish my union had that for me.  lol

I wonder if the new CEO of Hydro will survive.  I hear he might not.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That's ridiculous that one government can do that.  Then again, I wish my union had that for me.  lol

I wonder if the new CEO of Hydro will survive.  I hear he might not.

It's one thing if your union gets you job security.  But if there's a whole pile of people that were hired for basically no reason, and now you can't fire them, you are essentially powerless to cut spending.  You are stuck.  The BC government saw the union hiring thousands of extra teachers without regard to the cost and had to put a stop to it, one way or the other.  It's great to have three students per teacher but that's an unsustainable system.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It's one thing if your union gets you job security.  But if there's a whole pile of people that were hired for basically no reason, and now you can't fire them, you are essentially powerless to cut spending.  You are stuck.  The BC government saw the union hiring thousands of extra teachers without regard to the cost and had to put a stop to it, one way or the other.  It's great to have three students per teacher but that's an unsustainable system.

People who are appointed to jobs rather than earn them through competition usually get classified as being out of scope and don't fall under collective agreements.  Those are usually good paying political appointments so those people can (and will) be axed.  It happened quickly after the Filmon government fell and I expect that will be the same this time around as well.

7 hours ago, iso_55 said:

There was danger & still is that I'll lose my left leg below the knee as I have been dealing with a foot infection that is resistant to antibiotics. I had surgery for the third time since last July to try to get the thing stopped. My doctors think they have found the appropriate antibiotics to get rid of it but I'll still have 2-3 months to go before I'm fine with no amputation. Thanks for asking kbf. Appreciate it. #fingerscrossed

Best wishes iso..

Greg Sellinger always struck me as being a stupid politician. He fought off a mutiny 2 years ago as leader only to bring down his entire party in the end. He should have got out back then but just refused. He couldn't see he was dead from that point on as a politician. Anyway, the guy's out. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Sellinger.