Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

With the old guard tossed out and a new one taking over I thought I would start a thread for civil discussion here as was suggested by Noeller.

So have at it:

- with Trudeau and the Liberals in a majority, will we see most of all the "hopey, changy" materialize?

-what happens to the Conservatives? Will they become like the PC of old or lean more towards their Reformer roots?

-will Candians be better off?

-what happens to the NDP? Will they wilt back to stay in 3rd party status until the next Layton?

-will we see more of "Angry Tom" or more of "Smeying Thomas" (I so hope for the former, the latter scared the gravy outta me)

So once again have at it and try keeping away from the personal attacks, that includes making dumb assed comments which elicit (sometimes justifies) the personal attacks.

I liked the story in the National Post today about JT launching a complete over-haul of Bill C-51.  He's making it much more Canadian, in terms of reviewing every aspect and asking for input and consensus from a lot of interested parties, rather than the Harper method of just ramming it down everyone's throat in an omnibus bill.  Good start anyway.

The frequent use of omnibus bills  (there have been 8 or 9 since 2011?) was probably my biggest issue with the Harper government, especially since he was so against them as a member of the opposition.  I very much dislike huge bills that use, in his words, the "kitchen sink approach" to combine completely unrelated issues together. 

The frequent use of omnibus bills  (there have been 8 or 9 since 2011?) was probably my biggest issue with the Harper government, especially since he was so against them as a member of the opposition.  I very much dislike huge bills that use, in his words, the "kitchen sink approach" to combine completely unrelated issues together. 

Yup, very American way of doing things.  I remember from the West Wing, they called them "Christmas Tree" bills, because everyone gets to hang a decoration on it in order to lend their support.

Yup, very American way of doing things.  I remember from the West Wing, they called them "Christmas Tree" bills, because everyone gets to hang a decoration on it in order to lend their support.

I miss that show! 

@CTVNews: Former PC leader Jean Charest rules himself out of race to succeed Stephen Harper https://t.co/iboaUIbUhL#cdnpoli https://t.co/sxpKyhkvlv

@CTVNews: Son of former PM Brian Mulroney says no to Conservative leadership bid https://t.co/9RO0Kziiex #cdnpoli https://t.co/J70NTVtEsF

@CBCAlerts: Diane Finley to seek interim leadership of Conservative party. #Ontario MP serves as Minister of Public Works under #StephenHarper. #cdnpoli

The frequent use of omnibus bills (there have been 8 or 9 since 2011?) was probably my biggest issue with the Harper government, especially since he was so against them as a member of the opposition. I very much dislike huge bills that use, in his words, the "kitchen sink approach" to combine completely unrelated issues together.

Yup, very American way of doing things. I remember from the West Wing, they called them "Christmas Tree" bills, because everyone gets to hang a decoration on it in order to lend their support.
I believe you are thinking of a different type of bill- these omnibus budget bills were very unilateral, and very partisian... the majority government would just tack on anything and everything even if it had no business being in there:

Navigable waters changes

Retroactive immunity to RCMP for illegally destroying gun registry (seriously wtf is that about?)

Old age pension

Public Sector sick leave (should be at the barganing table with unions instead)

Generally used to curtail discussion and debate- which is essential in a democracy.

But Omnibus budget bills in a minority situation is usually the "xmas tree" bill you are talking about. Lots of give and take in that scenario to ensure most people are happy to let it pass.

Personally, not a fan of the last 4 omnibudget bills, too much of a work around sound decision making.

Also, the time table and enormity of the bill makes it difficult to see any possible unintended ramifications, due to the lack of scrutiny.

Michelle Rempel for Conservative leader? Young and female has to be a plus.

I would be surprised if the next leader was not from Ont., distancing themselves from their reformist roots would be the quickest route to recovery for the Cons.

They need to find a way to win more and stronger majorities. Like it or not, the seats are in Ontario. And also distance themselves from candidates who need to be muzzled.

I would be surprised if the next leader was not from Ont., distancing themselves from their reformist roots would be the quickest route to recovery for the Cons.

They need to find a way to win more and stronger majorities. Like it or not, the seats are in Ontario. And also distance themselves from candidates who need to be muzzled.

I always liked Peter McKay. Now with Harper out of the picture perhaps he'll come back. Jason Kenny is my MP & I just can't see him as leader. I think he'll run but too much baggage from the Reform & Harper eras. 

I always liked Peter McKay. Now with Harper out of the picture perhaps he'll come back. Jason Kenny is my MP & I just can't see him as leader. I think he'll run but too much baggage from the Reform & Harper eras. 

IMO the only worse choice than Kenney would be Tony Clement, who is also considering a run.

If they stick with Reform-ers, they're gonna be doomed for awhile. Canada has spoken very loudly that they're not as socially conservative as that, and are going to look for a more socially moderate leader, regardless of political colour.

McKay is damaged goods and a weasel to boot.  Prentice would have been a viable option if he hadn't become impatient and dabbled in provincial politics but if he keeps a low profile and runs for leader in 4 years time, he might have a chance.

McKay is damaged goods and a weasel to boot.  Prentice would have been a viable option if he hadn't become impatient and dabbled in provincial politics but if he keeps a low profile and runs for leader in 4 years time, he might have a chance.

Living in AB i know first hand about this scum bag. He only wanted to be Premier & was on a huge power trip. When he lost the election he quit before the polls closed. No way this coward ever becomes leader of the Conservatives. You think Harper was out of touch & he had a disastrous campaign? You should've seen Prentice. He was so bad he gave the NDP a majority government. In Alberta no less. That's all you need to know about this guy.