Mack Coulda Had Ray or Burris

I have no idea why anyone would get upset about saying a young CFL exec should get more experience before he takes on the position of running a CFL team.

I don't think it was your saying a young executive should get experience but wanting to know why you think it would take another 5-10 years for Walters to have enough experience to be a GM. Hufnagel, Austin, Buono, Higgins, Popp and Barker are just a few examples of people who had coaching experience but little to no front office experience when they got their first GM job. And no I am not comparing Walters to those guys and I'm not even saying I think Walters should get the job. Just asking why 5-10 more years experience rather than say 3-4 more years?

Jacquie, here's the thing... Walters is a young guy in his mid 30's. He has very little experience as a CFL coach & has only a few months experience as an AGM. He needs seasoning & experience. But I daresay learning under Mack isn't the way to do it. He needs to work under someone who is a winner. I think a guy who has been an AGM for 5 years or so is ready to step up which is only an arbitrary number in my mind. In 10 years Walters will be in his mid 40's & could still work another 20 years after that in the CFL. Walters is just getting started in his career. .

Actually he turned 40 in July. Did you know that Walters and Austin both have the same amount of coaching experience (10 years). Austin has 3 years experience running a football program at the college level while Walters has 4 years. Yes I know Austin was running an Ivy League program and Walters a CIS program however I would think the biggest difference between running the two programs was budget. Again I'm not saying that Walters should get the job. I agree that a little more experience would be good but I disagree with arbitrarily picking a number and saying this is when he'll be ready. 

Forty is very young to be a CFL executive. That means Kyle Walters will still have 20, 25 -30 years of work life ahead  of him in the CFL if he is successful. But... you do agree with me that Walters not ready now. And that is my point. Blitzmore wants to give Walters the job NOW. After 6 months as an AGM based on what??? Just what qualifies him now to be our new GM on a permanent basis? Blitzmore came after me saying what I said about experience was ridiculous. That I was being negative. When I flat out asked him to explain why he thinks Walters is ready now to be the Bombers GM permanently he backed off because he had nothing  to say. I never said I didn't like Walters or that I don't think he'll ever be a CFL GM someday. I just believe the team has to go in a different direction. I think to really understand the league & how it works, I do believe an apprenticeship of at least 4 or 5 years is needed.

I have no idea why anyone would get upset about saying a young CFL exec should get more experience before he takes on the position of running a CFL team.

I don't think it was your saying a young executive should get experience but wanting to know why you think it would take another 5-10 years for Walters to have enough experience to be a GM. Hufnagel, Austin, Buono, Higgins, Popp and Barker are just a few examples of people who had coaching experience but little to no front office experience when they got their first GM job. And no I am not comparing Walters to those guys and I'm not even saying I think Walters should get the job. Just asking why 5-10 more years experience rather than say 3-4 more years?

Jacquie, here's the thing... Walters is a young guy in his mid 30's. He has very little experience as a CFL coach & has only a few months experience as an AGM. He needs seasoning & experience. But I daresay learning under Mack isn't the way to do it. He needs to work under someone who is a winner. I think a guy who has been an AGM for 5 years or so is ready to step up which is only an arbitrary number in my mind. In 10 years Walters will be in his mid 40's & could still work another 20 years after that in the CFL. Walters is just getting started in his career. .

Actually he turned 40 in July. Did you know that Walters and Austin both have the same amount of coaching experience (10 years). Austin has 3 years experience running a football program at the college level while Walters has 4 years. Yes I know Austin was running an Ivy League program and Walters a CIS program however I would think the biggest difference between running the two programs was budget. Again I'm not saying that Walters should get the job. I agree that a little more experience would be good but I disagree with arbitrarily picking a number and saying this is when he'll be ready. 

Forty is very young to be a CFL executive. That means Kyle Walters will still have 20, 25 -30 years of work life ahead  of him in the CFL if he is successful. But... you do agree with me that Walters not ready now. And that is my point. Blitzmore wants to give Walters the job NOW. After 6 months as an AGM based on what??? Just what qualifies him now to be our new GM on a permanent basis? Blitzmore came after me saying what I said about experience was ridiculous. That I was being negative. When I flat out asked him to explain why he thinks Walters is ready now to be the Bombers GM permanently he backed off because he had nothing  to say. I never said I didn't like Walters or that I don't think he'll ever be a CFL GM someday. I just believe the team has to go in a different direction. I think to really understand the league & how it works, I do believe an apprenticeship of at least 4 or 5 years is needed.

Actually, never did I say he should get the job now or even imply it! I said give him a break, he could turn out to be the best GM ever, who knows? That's what I said. I never said he should get the job now or even next year, Your comment is still ridiculous, how the hell could you possibly know how long it would take him to be a good GM? and 5-10 years? on what basis could you possibly make that statement? That's why I called you out. 

I couldn't possibly answer the question about why Walters in ready now...because I never said that. What part of give the guy a break can't you understand?

He's not ready now, and may not be next year...he's been in the job now for what 3 or 4 weeks? What's he done so far?

First thing he did was contact all the other GM's to mend fences, and tell them we're listening for possible future deals...

He brought in another QB

He brought in a vet DB

He brought in two receivers one from the NFL and the other who performed very well in the Sask game

He brought in a kicker and fired another

Instead of just going on the road to the Hamilton game and watching, he went early and scouted several CIS camps

According to reports he would have drafted differently after he did all the scouting, but was hamstrung by Mack, and

we would have some of those players now.

He's indicated he's going to work on the Scouting system down South

He's said no one will work harder than him.

So yeah...guess he's been busy real busy...and might learn a thing or two...well let's see maybe in 5-10 years.

So let me spell it out for you in real simple terms "I am not saying he's ready now...or even next year!!!" Never did

I just said give the guy a break...you're the one who with you're great knowledge of GM development time said

it would take 5-10 years

You're missing the point that the next GM will not be sliding into a stocked team with a cash-heavy owner and a non-meddling board. 

This organization is a MESS. A young GM with little experience could easily get chewed up and spit out -- hired to fix a dysfunctional product, make a few mistakes, and then get canned by the board with the usual line that he "wasn't a good fit."

This team needs someone with YEARS of experience that can hit the ground running and install HIS vision, a vision that has proven successful elsewhere. 

Frankly, Walters taking over this team in 3 months from now could be career suicide for him. Look at Mike Kelly -- how many GM offers do you think he's fielding? Sure he's an idiot, but he was hired for a job he had no place even being considered for. 

Smartest thing for Walters to do is sit under a Popp/Huffer/Wally type for a few years, or the next Bomber guy. He is NOT ready.

You're missing the point that the next GM will not be sliding into a stocked team with a cash-heavy owner and a non-meddling board. 

This organization is a MESS. A young GM with little experience could easily get chewed up and spit out -- hired to fix a dysfunctional product, make a few mistakes, and then get canned by the board with the usual line that he "wasn't a good fit."

This team needs someone with YEARS of experience that can hit the ground running and install HIS vision, a vision that has proven successful elsewhere. 

Frankly, Walters taking over this team in 3 months from now could be career suicide for him. Look at Mike Kelly -- how many GM offers do you think he's fielding? Sure he's an idiot, but he was hired for a job he had no place even being considered for. 

Smartest thing for Walters to do is sit under a Popp/Huffer/Wally type for a few years, or the next Bomber guy. He is NOT ready.

Good grief! Never said he should be the next permanent GM...get your point always did...just said give the guy a break right now! He's trying his best...what else are they supposed to do right at the moment? I'm for doing due diligence, and an extensive search at the end of the season, but several folks have been jumping on Walters already. No one at this point knows how good or not, he will be, or is capable of. All good GM's had to start somewhere, and even some good ones from various teams have been fired over the years, for various reasons which existed at the time. It just irks me when I see someone say he will not be any good for 5 to 10 years is all.

Good grief! Never said he should be the next permanent GM...get your point always did...just said give the guy a break right now! He's trying his best...what else are they supposed to do right at the moment? I'm for doing due diligence, and an extensive search at the end of the season, but several folks have been jumping on Walters already. No one at this point knows how good or not, he will be, or is capable of. All good GM's had to start somewhere, and even some good ones from various teams have been fired over the years, for various reasons which existed at the time. It just irks me when I see someone say he will not be any good for 5 to 10 years is all.

In my opinion, if Walters parked himself under Wally or Huffer, he could be ready in a just a couple years -- see how the top dogs deal with their coaches, how they deal with adversity, get all their contacts, etc. 

Frankly, he deserves to mentor under someone more capable than Joe Mack. 

Nobody mentored under Mack. Mack scouted players while others managed the cap the budget and the football ops dept.

You make it sound like he was always away scouting which isn't true. He was at every practice according to Penton. And most teams have others who look after those things as well so I don't know what your point is.

Nobody mentored under Mack. Mack scouted players while others managed the cap the budget and the football ops dept.

You make it sound like he was always away scouting which isn't true. He was at every practice according to Penton. And most teams have others who look after those things as well so I don't know what your point is.

Mac had the entire database on his I-Phone...the one with the Subway OS.

you haven't noticed what the point is with every post? Everything he posts is trolltastic. 

you haven't noticed what the point is with every post? Everything he posts is trolltastic.

this.this. this. this. this!

i often wonder, who was this guy in a previous forum life cycle...just so i can go... "aaaaaah... makes sense.." lol

True. If I use that phrase again when reponding to one of his posts I'll try to remember to add "besides trolling".

i often wonder, who was this guy in a previous forum life cycle...just so i can go... "aaaaaah... makes sense.." lol

It would be interesting to know, wouldn't it.

I am not familiar with the term trolling. Would someone please enlighten me. As to who I was in a former life ? I remain the same person in the current life. Always glad to be a source of homour for you all.

omg, yer like.... sooooo funny!