Around the NHL

Actually here's a loophole from that article:

The good news for the Bruins: for offer sheet purposes, AAV is determined by dividing the total compensation offered by the lesser of the length of the contract, or by five. For contracts longer than five years in term, this will result in a higher AAV than simply dividing the contract total by the number of years.

Example: a 7 year offer sheet worth $49 million total, would be considered an AAV of $9.8 million ($49 million divided by 5) for offer sheet compensation purposes. That means the Bruins could make an offer sheet to Trouba in the $7-8 million per season neighborhood on a seven year deal, a reasonable contract if Trouba turns into the No. 1 defenseman that the B’s are envisioning.

interesting no one assumes the Jets would match. Which they would. So a 6 year deal at $7m per year, jets match. Although taking four first round picks isn't terrible knowing the Bruins lol. But they have a better chance of landing Trouba through trade. Jets will match. 

11 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

What do the Bruins give up if they sign him?

They have to have an AAV of at least $9.3m so it would be four first round picks. 

Due to the way offer sheets work they could offer 7 years at $6.7m and get away with it. Because it seems offer sheets only have to be divided by 5 years even if the term is longer. 

Without a 2nd and 3rd round pick they can't offer anything less than a deal that equals $9.3AAV. 

But they could offer 7 years at $6.7 and it would be eligible. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

I really don’t get what Boston is doing here.  It is like they have no plan and are flying by the seat of their pants.

They trade away Dougie Hamilton who could be their potential #1 D-Man of the future.  They trade him away for a 1st rounder and 2 - 2nd rounders.

Hamilton signs in Calgary to a 6 year $34.5M contract for an AAV of $5.75M

Then they realize they don’t have a #1 D-Man and try to trade for one at the draft.  Can’t get one.

So they decide they are going to try and sign Trouba away.  They have to do it for a minimum of $46M over 7 years for an AAV of $6.7M.   And to do this they would have to give up 4 - 1st round draft picks.

Trouba’s best season was his rookie season where he had 10G 19A for 29 points.   He has been going down since then.

Hamilton’s best season was last year where he scored 12G 31A for 43 points, and he scored 42 points in the prior season. 

Although you do have to give Trouba the advantage in +/-, hits, and blocks.

Not sure who is going to be the better D-Man down the road, but if you want a corner stone #1 D-Man, so far it looks like Hamilton will give you the better offensive numbers to do that.  Trouba would definitely be more physical.  He could also end up producing more once he gets out of the shadow of Byfuglien and Myers, but he really hasn’t shown this yet.

So to summarize you traded away your future #1 D-Man for a 1st rounder and 2 - 2nds  and he ended up signing for an AAV of $5.75.

You want to give up 4 - 1st rounders for Trouba and sign him to an AAV of about $6.7M

I’d seriously consider taking the picks, and that would continue the curse that every Jets Jersey I buy, ends up getting traded away (hello Ladd, Bogosian, and Trouba).

Chevy has already said he'd match any offer.  I believe his response was "certainly".  Plus, a city like Winnipeg letting a player go in return for picks...all the stories would be how Winnipeg sucks, cant keep its players, no one wants to play here and the team cant afford stars.  Now it doesnt really matter what the media says...but in some ways it does.

I think the Jets would match.  Although it would be a ton of money off their books and assets to go out and get another D.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Chevy has already said he'd match any offer.  I believe his response was "certainly".  Plus, a city like Winnipeg letting a player go in return for picks...all the stories would be how Winnipeg sucks, cant keep its players, no one wants to play here and the team cant afford stars.  Now it doesnt really matter what the media says...but in some ways it does.

I think the Jets would match.  Although it would be a ton of money off their books and assets to go out and get another D.

I know he said he'd match any offer, but I don't think he meant the stupid ones.

I know they’ve said they’d match, but I don’t think you can do it purely as a protection more or to prove you can put up the dollars.  You need to consider the longer impact to your club.  7 years is a long time to potentially overpay for an asset just to prove a point.

If it was Scheifele who was targeted, I would match without question.  However, there are still question marks with Trouba. 

I have also seen some talk where the poison pill could be that they structure the contract to pay Trouba $10 M in year one and two (90% as signing bonuses), then $5.8M over the last 5 years.

That would mean the Jets would have to pony up $18M US in a one year span as the bonuses would be due this summer and next.

They certainly have the financial backing to do it, and I don’t think those bonuses would be a large factor in their decision, but I think they have to balance what is better for the club between making a statement of protecting their assets and what that salary commitment will do over the next decade or are the draft picks more value than Trouba.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If Seth Jones signs today for $6+ then it puts the proposed Boston deal within the realm of reasonable.  So I think Jets match.

Not matching puts us in a poor position with the D.

Jones signed for 5.4 a year

No way the Jets match 7+ at this point, if the trade off is 4 first round picks. No way.